Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y has auto dimming mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at model 3 mirrors on eBay I can see 2 extra wires compared to a model y mirror on eBay. It seems these probably handle the dimming function. So I suspect the mirror itself does have more wires. The question is does the door harness have the wiring for these two plugs. If it does then maybe it could just be a programming aspect. If no, then it might require the harness and reprogramming. This assumes Tesla would even make that programming available.

It is the one feature I miss on my model 3, and hope I can get it installed on my Y.

Reactions: parkds_nyc
I watched a couple of videos looking at the door harness for the Y and I don't see the extra plugs that the 3 has, so I suspect they didn't include the wiring for the auto dimming until recently.

In found a good picture on eBay of the glass itself for a model 3 and it seems the dimming function is from 1 plug (light brown in color) and I can see the corresponding plug on model 3 door harnesses.

Maybe they did it differently for the Y?

For all the hype about Tesla's OTA software updates, any non-software updates make owning a Tesla equivalent to a cell phone, where no matter now much fanboys want to admit it, a Tesla has planned obsolescence no less than a cell phone. Most non-software upgrades (similar to camera, screen resolution, battery and processor improvements) requires a new device, in in this case, a new car. So when they include a heated steering wheel, self-dimming mirrors, air suspension, bioweapon defense mode, more energy-dense batteries, or the rumored top-down camera view, you need a new car. Maybe laminated glass and the non-gloss center console will retrofit, but IMO, those are superficial benefits. What I feel that Tesla really needs is a new kind of ownership experience to align with their innovation cycle. Not a traditional lease, rather, something more like wireless carriers and cell manufacturers offer where you pay flat monthly rate like a lease, but receive a new product in place of your current product on a annual or 2 years basis, as new versions are released, and you continue to pay a monthly rate. I think Lincoln offered this at one point, and maybe BMW. I have leased in the past, but I purposely didn't lease a Tesla for this specific reason, as I can sell at any time now if I want, but getting out of a lease very early, even with sites like leasetrader.com, is not fun or easy. I'm not chasing battery density, as I still believe this will be marginal and incremental over the next 5 years, but the other innovations, to me, would make the ownership and driving experience much better.

For all the hype about Tesla's OTA software updates, any non-software updates make owning a Tesla equivalent to a cell phone, where no matter now much fanboys want to admit it, a Tesla has planned obsolescence no less than a cell phone. Most non-software upgrades (similar to camera, screen resolution, battery and processor improvements) requires a new device, in in this case, a new car. So when they include a heated steering wheel, self-dimming mirrors, air suspension, bioweapon defense mode, more energy-dense batteries, or the rumored top-down camera view, you need a new car. Maybe laminated glass and the non-gloss center console will retrofit, but IMO, those are superficial benefits. What I feel that Tesla really needs is a new kind of ownership experience to align with their innovation cycle. Not a traditional lease, rather, something more like wireless carriers and cell manufacturers offer where you pay flat monthly rate like a lease, but receive a new product in place of your current product on a annual or 2 years basis, as new versions are released, and you continue to pay a monthly rate. I think Lincoln offered this at one point, and maybe BMW. I have leased in the past, but I purposely didn't lease a Tesla for this specific reason, as I can sell at any time now if I want, but getting out of a lease very early, even with sites like leasetrader.com, is not fun or easy. I'm not chasing battery density, as I still believe this will be marginal and incremental over the next 5 years, but the other innovations, to me, would make the ownership and driving experience much better.

So basically a month to month lease.

Thanks Taylor! Picking mine up tomorrow. Really Glad to hear about not having any build issues. Probably safe to say I won't get Auto Dimming on mine either.

Dweezle - In regards to build date matching VIN, I've read a post where we've seen some VINS not necessarily match in succession with build dates.

I am excited if the auto dimming mirrors come to the Model Y. I personally would want them and I am one of those who thinks both the rear view mirror and the side mirrors are ridiculously small for a vehicle of its size. It’s almost comic. I still maintain that until someone has a picture of the window sticker that shows them listed or it shows up as part of the MY order page like it appears to be on the M3 order page then they don’t exist.

Picked up MY VIN 67xxx on 11/11 no auto dim side mirrors. As of this posting the Tesla MY interior details reads: Power folding, heated side mirrors. If you look at M3 it says the same and adds "auto dimming". I took a trip the next night after picking up my car on the Garden State Pkwy and I was very distracted by the cars lights in my side mirror passing me on the left in southern NJ where there are no lights on the parkway. This is not a problem driving on roads with street lighting. I'm skeptical that MY is currently being produced with auto dim side mirrors, as there have been no official announcements, no articles on sites such as Electrek, and no indication on the Tesla website. This is a safety issue and all MY's should be retrofitted at a service center complimentary when they eventually become available. The center console and other speculated changes are just cosmetic.

Reactions: parkds_nyc

While I completely agree with your frustrations regarding this as a fellow early 2020 Model Y adopter, I think I could get behind this more if Tesla was rolling out substantial non-OTA upgrades to cars in the SAME model year. They have clearly cut over to the 2021 model and just like any other car, a new model year brings new and better features, both tangible and intangible. If you think this is bad, you probably never had the awful experience of buying a car like an Audi Q5 in the final model year before a major redesign unknowingly. When that fully redesigned Q5 was released months after the legacy designed model people were flipping out because they spent so much money on a much inferior car. Had they known, they may have held off until the newly redesigned model was released. Ultimately it's chasing our own tail. When you buy a car you need to expect (Tesla more than any other brand) that the following model year will bring many upgrades that you are going to wish you had. Same as it ever was...