Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y -hitch installation certain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my tow hitch installed last week by Tesla mechanic (mobile service). He left behind a metal bumper part. It's probably part of the reinforcement for a crash. Is is normal? I wasn't home when he installed it. He also took my bumper cover w/ him and when I called to ask for it. He said normally people don't need it. I am little certain regarding if he did doing it right. Any help or inform will be great. Thanks

I got my tow hitch installed last week by Tesla mechanic (mobile service). He left behind a metal bumper part. It's probably part of the reinforcement for a crash. Is is normal? I wasn't home when he installed it. He also took my bumper cover w/ him and when I called to ask for it. He said normally people don't need it. I am little certain regarding if he did doing it right. Any help or inform will be great. Thanks

Can you take a pic of the metal part? As far as the cover goes, everyone puts the cover on when not using the hitch, so he is just trying to cover up his mistake... very likely he broke off some of the mounting tabs when he pulled it off and used that excuse so you wouldn't see the damage.

Keith

That sounds accurate. I DIY installed an OEM Audi tow hitch for my previous '18 Q7 and same thing. The tow hitch was designed to completely replace the original bumper reinforcement.

Ended up selling the original bumper reinforcement on ebay to recoup some of the cost :)

I saw this post on reddit
I guessed it's normal that they don't reinstall the old metal bumper.
Keith- Hey, let me check if he broke any tabs. thanks

It is possible he damaged the area of the bumper cover where the tabs on the hitch cover go in, but I was thinking broken tabs on the cover itself, thus taking it with him removes evidence of breaking the tabs off...

Keith

How long did you have to wait for the part to show up after you ordered?