Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hitch Not Compatible with new Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a new Model Y last week and scheduled an appointment to have the tow hitch installed. I did not order it online first as I read sometimes the SC's will have stock and will install. I received an appointment and was scheduled for the tow hitch install tomorrow by mobile service. A few days ago I confirmed everything was all set and was assured the mobile tech would bring the hitch and install (full price showed on my estimate).

I just received a message today that my Model Y is "equipped with the latest hardware that is not capable with the current tow hitch." Has anyone heard of that before or is mobile service just making stuff up because they don't want to install it?

It would be interesting to know if what particular component is not compatible.
The only recent issue that I noticed to be reported in this forum was regarding
a missing device powering the trailer plug. This component was not installed because
of some shortage during Covid but can be ordered to complete the installation

Reactions: bryanng
I had the same issue back in July 2023. They scheduled me for a tow hitch installation on my new 2023 Model Y LR hardware 4. After they removed the rear bumper were surprised to see the hardware 4 spec requires a different connector on the tow hitch. They asked me to keep monitor the upgrades / exterior tab in the Tesla app, which will cross reference my VIN with the correct tow hitch, then order it.

The original car I ordered back in May was with a tow hitch, but at the end of June they offered a $500 discount for another vehicle in stock without a tow hitch and better options. Also, they committed in writing to offer a tow hitch installation for $1,000 instead of $1,300.

I am monitoring tow hitch availability few times a week.

I had the same issue back in July 2023. They scheduled me for a tow hitch installation on my new 2023 Model Y LR hardware 4. After they removed the rear bumper were surprised to see the hardware 4 spec requires a different connector on the tow hitch. They asked me to keep monitor the upgrades / exterior tab in the Tesla app, which will cross reference my VIN with the correct tow hitch, then order it.

While waiting for the patt, could you get at least the tow bar to be installed, so you could use it for a bike rack?

I was just told the same thing regarding my 2023 model y (performance), bought last November. She said it is not compatible and I asked how that can be since it is a 2023 model and she just said it doesn't have the right connector or something.

I ordered the tow package from the shop but I have not been charged yet. So the $1300 tow package actually is going to end up costing me $2000.00. Why is the 2023 model subjected to this retrofit? Is it because I have the performance model? At first I assumed it was going to be $1300 PLUS $1800 and I was just going to cancel the entire thing. Then she said I had not been charged the initial $1300 yet so the total price for this is only about $700 more which is not as bad but something that I probably would have been liked to advised of before purchasing this.

I have included the relevant parts and price list from the estimate in case it is useful.
towretrofit.jpg