Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a quote for 377 from Direct Line. I think it was convenient that my renewal date (for the car I just sold through CarWow) is a week before pickup so they put my policy on pause and can renew upto 14 days after renewal date which ties in with pick up of new car. Very pleased as was getting quotes nearer the 600 mark.

I just had a letter from Direct Line, back in Feb they made a mistake with my renewal and had charged me too much so i'm getting a refund. I had no idea and they could have just kept quiet and i'd be none the wiser. Customer service goes a long way to retaining my business even if the quote was a little more expensive than some others. An insurance company shows their true worth when you need to avail yourself of their services and in this respect DL have been exemplary. You pays your money..........

Reactions: MrT3
I just had a quote from Admiral. It was £5,325.11. Over 9 years protected NCB. One claim in 2021 for Catalytic Convertor stolen from my Prius. I may have to cancel my order because I cannot afford the insurance.

I just had a quote from Admiral. It was £5,325.11. Over 9 years protected NCB. One claim in 2021 for Catalytic Convertor stolen from my Prius. I may have to cancel my order because I cannot afford the insurance.
That’s outrageous! I added my soon to arrive MY to my existing policy (12 years protected no claims but ongoing claim for minor prang last year) and they quoted me just over £1k for a year. Did you speak to an advisor or was it just online?

So Direct Line and Admiral are about the same for me (I prefer to pay monthly and both are in the 80-85 a month range). Hastings are much cheaper (in the 50-60 range). But Admiral do offer a new car if it's written off and less than 12 months old. Which seems like it might have value?

5k!! I thought insurance here in the States was expensive (2k for 6 months (they don't seem to do 12 months) for MY and Ioniq 5). I did get a quote through gocompare (been out of the uk systems for a few years, can't remember the others) and got just over 1k. Never going to complain about my BMW at 350 again lol. Not looking forward to paying that when the time comes I'll admit.

Hastings Direct refused to quote online. They are asking me to call. I think the problem is with the claim that I have for theft of the Catalytic Convertor. But there was a spate of robberies and am sure there are some members here who had their catalytic convertors stolen. My incident happened in Apr-2021. Would be grateful if anyone else with Catalytic convertor claim can share the quotes they have received.

I had a look at nfu but they said they don’t do Tesla at all. So, there is a definite higher risk attached to Tesla and we will have to get used to this. Hopefully it will drop down in future but we’re going to have to live with it for now.

Had a renewal email from Churchill which showed an increase of £215 so I made contact online asking the reason why as it’s been £33? For the last two years. After many questions I had to confess two driving offences (speeding), so expected that to be the answer to my query, then followed the bad news that my premium would go up to £639.
I decided not to go ahead at the time and checked out MoneySupermarket.com filling out all my details including claims and convictions, and to my amazement a quote appeared of £339 with Churchill. I rang them and they told me a renewal was £639, but a new quote would be £339. Joy of joys 😃👍