Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blissdancer - there is an EV alternative to the Model Y - it's called the Ford Mach e and by all reports it is a compelling and well built crossover that actually gets EPA estimated 270-300 miles of range depending on whether you have AWD or RWD trim level.

The issue with the Mach e and every other non-Tesla EV is that the charging network is unreliable, frustrating, and often times very expensive. Most of the time it is just unreliable. In my experience owning a non-Tesla EV (BMW i3 which is incredibly well built) I have experienced 50 percent success rate with non-Tesla chargers. That's just not good enough.
Thanks for the info but I don’t think my Terra Trike will fit in the back of a Mach E. 😎
Interesting how I switched to LR AWD and they want to cancel my order now. They are really pushing trying to get these delivered even though I am waiting on the headlights.
I am totally confused. Why would they try to cancel your order?

My question too - has anyone with a LR RWD reservation been told to order an AWD model or else? I was contacted a couple of months ago and told that I could transfer to Performance or AWD, get a refund, or sit tight. I have taken a wait and see on RWD because I don’t need the car until Fall. If the RWD really is a no go and they force us into ordering AWD or canceling, I may just order or FSD goes from $6k to $10k.
I still have an LR RWD order and no one has contacted me. I contacted Santana Row about six weeks ago and they said they would get back to me. I told them I want the deal others have, current AWD price and keep my FSD at 7K. Not a word back.

I still have an LR RWD order and no one has contacted me. I contacted Santana Row about six weeks ago and they said they would get back to me. I told them I want the deal others have, current AWD price and keep my FSD at 7K. Not a word back.

Same boat.... now even the store manager wont pick up the phone calls to see what's up on my request to switch from RWD to AWD. I really hope other companies catch up with electric cars so Tesla can serious with how they handle future customers. I wish I had another option so I could switch and say screw them. Both SA I talked today basically said oh sorry your had to order LR RWD, but you can cancel the order, receive a full refund and order a new AWD (at todays prices) to get it soon.. Gets really frustrating.

Reactions: ahanorcal
Well that is bad to hear. I am writing a letter to the Board of Directors and Muskboy. I will then tweet and FB Elon in hopes he has one of his minions address the issue. I am going to start a thread asking anyone who was a LF-RWD holder and got a deal to post the deal so I can prove that this is happening.

I think sales are strong, and regrettably, the salespeople are not interested in dealing with an unusual situation like an RWD to AWD order change.
Many people including me have had the order converted to AWD I think you can also but you may have to email and call a bunch of people before you find someone to do the change.

Well after talking with the Regional Sales manager of Tesla Mexico, he told me that it seems that Fairmont will actually produce LR RWD, that he just got some info from them after I was trying to get them to switch me to AWD on my LR RWD Reservation. He told me if I was ready to make some payments so they can start "prioritizing" my delivery. Lets see if Elon says something regarding LR RWD in todays earning call.

1619464956277.png

Look seems Tesla Mexico is getting their first LR RWD?? Im still investigating since it shows SR autonomy, plus its just 30 days premium connectivity.. will let you guys know if they confirm me its a LRRWD or if they captured the car wrong in the inventory page.

After inspecting the source of the page, seems its a mistake on their end

"description":"Model Y Standard Range RWD","group":"TRIM","long_name":"Tracci\u00f3n trasera con Autonom\u00eda Mayor"

Bummer

Last edited:
Well after talking with the Regional Sales manager of Tesla Mexico, he told me that it seems that Fairmont will actually produce LR RWD, that he just got some info from them after I was trying to get them to switch me to AWD on my LR RWD Reservation. He told me if I was ready to make some payments so they can start "prioritizing" my delivery. Lets see if Elon says something regarding LR RWD in todays earning call.
That is very strange. I just got off the phone with the Fresno, CA office. They told me the RWD might be made but they have no idea when. Would you be so kind as to ask the SA you spoke with to give some proof that the RWD will be made and when? I just started the process to go from RWD to AWD and keep my FSD price.

Opps I asked before I read above. Got it, its the standard that is no longer being offered in the US.
They actually produced more SR RWD this month, they were uploaded as inventory vehicules so users could buy them. I too im working on the RWD AWD switch, guess they got mixed up and uploaded a single SRRWD as LRRWD (just in the vehicule description, and since its translated from english to spanish, guess thats where they screwed it up).

Ive waited 1 month for their response from corporate with no luck yet for the switch preserving prices from my order date. Lets see how much more i have to wait 😩

That is very strange. I just got off the phone with the Fresno, CA office. They told me the RWD might be made but they have no idea when. Would you be so kind as to ask the SA you spoke with to give some proof that the RWD will be made and when? I just started the process to go from RWD to AWD and keep my FSD price.

Just talked to him today.. seems he has some erroneous information because of a particular build that was uploaded to their portal. He confirmed me now that they wont produce it.. and now im back to square 1.. still fighting for 'em to do the right thing and give me my old pricing from reservation time 😤.. Never had such a hard time with a company trying to exploit their customer the most they can like Tesla.. If I do end up getting the car it I just hope its not the beginning of a toxic relation with the 'em, while I'm really trying to love the car / brand 😩

Just talked to him today.. seems he has some erroneous information because of a particular build that was uploaded to their portal. He confirmed me now that they wont produce it.. and now im back to square 1.. still fighting for 'em to do the right thing and give me my old pricing from reservation time 😤.. Never had such a hard time with a company trying to exploit their customer the most they can like Tesla.. If I do end up getting the car it I just hope its not the beginning of a toxic relation with the 'em, while I'm really trying to love the car / brand 😩
I feel for you, this whole LR RWD has not been great. My SA says he thinks my converted order will be here the second week of May.

As for Tesla long-term, I have a Model 3 as well and it has been good. I think the biggest thing is they are growing a lot and delays for parts and service can happen.

Here is where I get in trouble, unintentionally:

I am from Canada, but in normal years I would travel to nontourist Mexico in the winter. For me in Mexico business is normally more personal and the Tesla company has a very nonpersonal way of working which could be an issue. I think Americans assume things are straightforward, but in reality, they are more complex. Mexican companies often work around issues for you to make things work for customers, but I can see Tesla corporate just not believing there are problems. Maybe I am wrong.

What is the old pricing you speak off? are you trying to get the FSD pricing of when you reserve? If that is the case they will do that for you. I actually switch and got FSD for 5000, at the same time, the car cost a bit less vs when I originally order.

What is the old pricing you speak off? are you trying to get the FSD pricing of when you reserve? If that is the case they will do that for you. I actually switch and got FSD for 5000, at the same time, the car cost a bit less vs when I originally order.

Im my country Tesla incresed the pricing of MY considerably bout Feb 2020. For example in the case of AWD, they increased it ~4245 USD, thats without factoring the FSD pricing. But right now im even struggling for them to honor my FSD pricing :mad:. They are like, hey why dont you just remove the FSD and you wont get much price diference by then (ie like just creating a new order with new prices and get no real benefit for me having deposited a 75k pesos ~3750USD for almost 2 years of the reservation ).

Folks - I wanted to give everyone my experience and exact instructions to make the change. Please checkout this post:

There was also a news story on Teslarati about my experience. Check it out!