Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla "Service" Strikes AGAIN (200th time)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I honestly cannot wait for another make to be NACS. I am so SICK of the idiotic 14yr olds at Tesla.
I would 100% drop Tesla in a heartbeat if that was the case. Their service ALWAYS makes my blood boil.
They make the simplest thing a mountain of fight.

Wife takes her Model Y to Mechanicsburg, PA today. Exterior temp sensor has had a delayed reaction, for as long as we can tell. It wasn't noticeable in summer. In winter, the car will not update the exterior temp for approx 10-20 min into each drive. The temp is 'stuck' at the garage temp. It's certainly something to see "60" on the dash, when it's SNOWING out.

They tell her - can't replicate. Well.. no $hit, the car's been outside for the drive there. "ohh.. well, it must be your 3rd part app" (Tessie). I don't think so Tim!
That (as far as I know uses actual Tesla APIs/keys).

This is what all drives, from the garage look like:
first approx 15 min - temp does not change in tessie - or while using the car.

they want to "hold the car overnight" - she demands a loaner.
how is this better/easier/cheaper than replacing a $20 part?

1707143651437.png1707143311968.png

I honestly cannot wait for another make to be NACS. I am so SICK of the idiotic 14yr olds at Tesla.
I would 100% drop Tesla in a heartbeat if that was the case. Their service ALWAYS makes my blood boil.

Wife takes her Model Y to Mechanicsburg, PA today. Exterior temp sensor has had a delayed reaction, for as long as we can tell. It wasn't noticeable in summer. In winter, the car will not update the exterior temp for approx 10-20 min into each drive. The temp is 'stuck' at the garage temp. It's certainly something to see "60" on the dash, when it's SNOWING out.

They tell her - can't replicate. Well.. no $hit, the car's been outside for the drive there. "ohh.. well, it must be your 3rd part app" (Tessie). I don't think so Tim!

View attachment 1015521View attachment 1015520
I understand your frustration but, TBH, I don't think this is a hardware issue. Feels like software if it delays properly following a delay. I'd call their bluff and uninstall the 3rd party software but I don't run any 3rd party software on any of my Teslas and have never missed it. Another conversation but the point is that if you eliminate their excuses to not diagnose, eventually they have to do their job.

I thought software at first as well, but if that was the case, it would be much more widespread.
The amount of people having this issue, from the posts, appears to be hardware.

Found this:

My Model X updates very fast from the garage: Less than 1 min. so it can be done!

1707144860899.png

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Yep - Tesla says "working as designed" because how dare we mere purchasers of cars know when something doesn't work?

Leaving the garage, driving 10 min, seeing it snowing with my own eyes and the car saying it's 50 or so... yep. Within Spec.

For my own sanity, and because I put in the time to figure things out, I may test preconditioning and NOT precondition to see if there is a difference.
In any scenario - the car should know what the temp is.

View attachment 1015521View attachment 1015520
Unfortunately this is by design and isn't exclusive to Tesla. Had same experience with GM, which updates a warmer exterior temperature immediately, but doesn't update a colder exterior temperature for 15 minutes. At least in the Tesla case, the temperature does slowly and gradually trend towards the real exterior temp on longer drives. GM immediately shows proper exterior temp only after that time delay - with your warmer garage temp showing until then.

I just tore through some data.
Days that the car is not preconditioned (in garage), the exterior temp, updates approx 1-5 min.
Days that it is preconditioned (in garage) - approx 15 min.

A few things from this:
1. Tesla should know this and documented... somewhere? Would have saved a ton of time and stress.
2. Putting the car in Drive should let the car know - hey - maybe start updating - what's the purpose of the delay?
3. Service was beyond rude to my wife. Every single time, without fail they it's an awful experience for either of us.

I guess this one is what it is for now, but without documentation, I'm sure others will encounter it.

I thought software at first as well, but if that was the case, it would be much more widespread.
The amount of people having this issue, from the posts, appears to be hardware.

Found this:

My Model X updates very fast from the garage: Less than 1 min. so it can be done!

View attachment 1015536
The hardware, in this case, simply senses temperature. It's a dead simple piece of hardware, at that. It's up to the software to interpret the data provided by the hardware. This is where I think the issue is created.

I also think that there's SO many variances in software/settings these days that it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility that there's a software bug caused by a combination of software/user settings that is a less common combination. For instance, I don't use any of the scheduled "features" because they've been fraught with issues since day one. Maybe I'll reconsider after they've had a few more years to develop and work out the kinks, maybe not.

The point is that there could be an entirely new set of potential parameters introduced by using or not using that. There's a million software/feature combinations at play. You add in 3rd party software and you increase possible causes exponentially.

Like I said, if it were me... I'd remove all 3rd party software and force them to address the issue if it still exists. You're just making it easy for them to pass the buck until you do. That's my advice.