Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Dual Motor (6/26) Delivery Rejection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y; White exterior/black interior 19" standard wheel
Vin: 13xxx
I went this morning around 11 am to the delivery hub in Fremont to inspect the MY. Due to the touchless delivery, I was not able to inspect the interior. I found the exterior to be subpar quality in fit and finish and immediately informed the only staff present in the office of my decision to reject the delivery. The staff recorded the reasons, I was told it was OK as I have not accepted the delivery on the phone or any anywhere at that point and there was no need to fill out any paper work. I thought the matter was settled for the moment. Or did it?
On 6/24, three days prior to the delivery, I filled out online the routing and account numbers of my bank. account. And to further expedite (I think) the expected delivery on 6/26, I even okayed the "submit payment". The next day, I called Tesla finance office and discussed the online payment and obtained assurance that Tesla will only draw funding from the bank account after accepting delivery of the vehicle on 6/26. Online transfer process takes two day to complete and therefore I thought I have enough time on 6/26 to initiate the money transfer to pay. Lo and behold before I reached home, I found my bank account has a net deficit of a large amount of money because Tesla had initiated the full transfer earlier in the morning before I had the chance to inspect and accept the delivery. A few phone calls to Tesla with the finance staff and his manager made clear to me this is the touchless delivery policy!(?) Tesla was adamant about its policy in the face of covid-19. The only consolation is the reversal would take up 2 to 4 weeks. Meanwhile I have stopped the bank from paying. But I am still have a large paper deficit in my account.

So buyers beware. Please make sure you understand the intricate financial transaction process before wading into the new and uncharted practice of touchless delivery!

The quality issues are pretty common: misalignment of the front frunck and rear hatch; the rear passenger door sticks out about 2 to 3 mm from the body; both the A pillars where it meet the body near the frunck at the front sticks up ( this is hard to fix and and will increase wind noise at highway speed); rear light clusters (left and right) on lift gate are not flushed with the light clusters on the body; driver door not lining up with the rear door; where the the rear lift gate rain gutter meets the rain gutter on body, there is a step of about 2 to 3mm step, potentially creating wind noise; where the roof glass meets the wind shield bar, the gap is larger than normal, again a source of wind noise. Overall, the fit and finish is subpar and I don't know if Tesla will be able to fix them. So I have delayed my acceptance to September to give Tesla the opportunity of fix all the kinks in production.

Honestly, the fit and finish problems are nothing new. Many have reported them already. But my assigned MY is too many of them and some of them I think it will be hard to fix. The most difficult problem to fix is the A pillar: where it meets the front doors and front door panels, they both stick up about 2 to 3 mm (it should be flushed) and this is a source of wind noise.
The point point of my post is that, Tesla started to draw funding from my account before I have a chance to inspect and accept the delivery DESPITE the fact that they would only do so after I have accepted the delivery.