Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y paint chip repair using

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious if anyone has had experience with the official Tesla Pearl White Paint Repair Kit. My results so far have been less than satisfactory. I had a pretty deep chip from a rock kicked up from a truck on the freeway a few weeks ago. The chip exposed bare metal about the size of a pea, and left a pretty significant dent too. The Pearl White paint is fairly translucent. I’ve put on four coats already and the spot is still somewhat grey from the metal underneath. It’s certainly not pearl white (and yes I ordered the Pearl White version of the kit, not the plain white, though I’m not sure why Tesla sells two different kinds of white). I’m going to keep adding coats but at this rate the paint is going to get fairly thick before it even starts approaching white. And I don’t see any sparkly pearlescence in the paint either.

Has any one else had a similar experience with the Pearl White touch up paint? Or did I get a bad batch?

I’m curious if anyone has had experience with the official Tesla Pearl White Paint Repair Kit. My results so far have been less than satisfactory. I had a pretty deep chip from a rock kicked up from a truck on the freeway a few weeks ago. The chip exposed bare metal about the size of a pea, and left a pretty significant dent too. The Pearl White paint is fairly translucent. I’ve put on four coats already and the spot is still somewhat grey from the metal underneath. It’s certainly not pearl white (and yes I ordered the Pearl White version of the kit, not the plain white, though I’m not sure why Tesla sells two different kinds of white). I’m going to keep adding coats but at this rate the paint is going to get fairly thick before it even starts approaching white. And I don’t see any sparkly pearlescence in the paint either.

Has any one else had a similar experience with the Pearl White touch up paint? Or did I get a bad batch?
Yep, I've had the same experience. Mine winds up looking darker than the original. Tesla has a note on the site that says Pearl White Multicoat touch-up paint is the one color that may not match the original color.

Yep, I've had the same experience. Mine winds up looking darker than the original. Tesla has a note on the site that says Pearl White Multicoat touch-up paint is the one color that may not match the original color.
Thanks! At least it’s good to hear I’m not the only one. My theory is the Pearl White needs to be applied to a base white coat, and that’s why it isn’t matching when I apply it to the base metal. If so, they really should have provided a bottle of plain white too. There is a reason this color is called “multi coat.”

Yes! Same experience here @pepperoni. I also found the paint didn’t want to cooperate with the “blob before hole and squeegee over the hole” technique - I get how it should work but it left barely any paint in the chip. Made sure it was well shaken, tried heating a bit, no joy just a lot of wasted time. Super frustrating.

Reactions: Cyberspeed