Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 questions about my model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is Tesla paint repair kit as bad as some ppl say? I have some black dots on the lower front bumber and my clay bar didn't do anything so I think they are chips. I saw some discussions saying the Tesla paint repair kit is garbage (which disappoints me because I'd think they're pearl white would be closest to factory) but if it is true is touch up direct better?
Should I follow the door label on tire psi (42) or the app psi (45)? I saw some discussions on this and ppl were arguing about how tire psi recommendations are from the 90s? Couldn't find a clear answer.
I bought mine used with no accident reports but the front bumper has hard dried paint drips, so does that mean it was replaced or it could come from the factory like that? And how expensive would it be to fix?

Attachments

• IMG_20231027_204938.jpg
    IMG_20231027_204938.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20231027_205315.jpg
    IMG_20231027_205315.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 26
Is Tesla paint repair kit as bad as some ppl say? I have some black dots on the lower front bumber and my clay bar didn't do anything so I think they are chips. I saw some discussions saying the Tesla paint repair kit is garbage (which disappoints me because I'd think they're pearl white would be closest to factory) but if it is true is touch up direct better?
IMO, it’s OK. Didn’t match the blue paint on my ‘20. If I were to do it again, I’d go with a different brand.

Should I follow the door label on tire psi (42) or the app psi (45)? I saw some discussions on this and ppl were arguing about how tire psi recommendations are from the 90s? Couldn't find a clear answer.
Go with the answer to life; 42. There is a way to change the recommended psi in the app, but I’m not familiar with how to do it.

I bought mine used with no accident reports but the front bumper has hard dried paint drips, so does that mean it was replaced or it could come from the factory like that? And how expensive would it be to fix?
Usually, factory paint complaints are thin paint or imperfections in the paint. I don’t think paint runs are common. So I’ll guess it was repainted. White is a 2-stage paint, so it may take more than just buffing to get it out. Ballpark cost, $1-2k. Cross fingers it’s just the clear coat running. Then it might be able to be buffed out.

Upvote 0
I have some black dots on the lower front bumber and my clay bar didn't do anything so I think they are chips.

The picture you included shows bad paint overspray drip lines, not paint chips.
Having said that, paint chips on the nose of the car are all but inevitable. I would not over-obsess over them.

I saw some discussions saying the Tesla paint repair kit is garbage (which disappoints me because I'd think they're pearl white would be closest to factory) but if it is true is touch up direct better?

I have no experience with pearl white touch-up paint from Tesla.
I have successfully used Dupli-Color touch-up pen on my black model 3's hood chips:

Either/or.
Both pressures are pretty high, and since tire pressures fluctuate with ambient and tire temps, you will be hitting both marks, sooner or later.

I bought mine used with no accident reports but the front bumper has hard dried paint drips, so does that mean it was replaced or it could come from the factory like that?

Sadly, both scenarios are equally likely.
Tesla's factory paint quality and quality control are equally pretty bad.
At the same time, bumpers are the first body panels to take impact from the road debris, and chipping is inevitable. Bad over-spray drips, like the ones in your pic, could also be a sign that someone had tried to repaint the bumper after delivery while it was on the car, and did a pretty armature job of it.

And how expensive would it be to fix?

I had to have my front bumper replaced, once.
Tesla sells pre-painted bumpers for $900 in parts + $175 in labor for installation. Perfect match.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
The picture you included shows bad paint overspray drip lines, not paint chips.
Having said that, paint chips on the nose of the car are all but inevitable. I would not over-obsess over them.
Yeah i meant to post the overspray pic. I didn't take pictures of the paint chips cause I figured no one could tell from a pic they'd have to touch it right? I'll post one here do you think you could tell if it's something else then a paint chips?
I have no experience with pearl white touch-up paint from Tesla.
I have successfully used Dupli-Color touch-up pen on my black model 3's hood chips:
Thanks I'll see if they carry something close, there seems to be a few popular brands. Someone did a terrible touch up job right above my headlight but I doubt there's anyway I can fix that

Either/or.
Both pressures are pretty high, and since tire pressures fluctuate with ambient and tire temps, you will be hitting both marks, sooner or later.
What psi do you keep them at? I saw someone says 42 gets better range and 45 is more "comfortable"
I had to have my front bumper replaced, once.
Tesla sells pre-painted bumpers for $900 in parts + $175 in labor for installation. Perfect match.
Yeah I wouldn't wanna replace the whole thing just for the drips on the bottom of the bumper maybe I'll just have to live with it

Upvote 0
So should I leave it at 42 year round? I forget is hot weather supposed to be higher or lower?
I target 45 for slightly better efficiency, but a slightly harsher ride. both times the edge the tire was worn more than the center so higher pressure seems to be warranted in my humble opinion. But the reality is there is likely little difference between the two.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Upvote 0
I target 45 for slightly better efficiency, but a slightly harsher ride. both times the edge the tire was worn more than the center so higher pressure seems to be warranted in my humble opinion. But the reality is there is likely little difference between the two.
Yeah that's funny cause someone else told me 42 is better efficiency and 45 was better comfort lol

Upvote 0
Yeah that's funny cause someone else told me 42 is better efficiency and 45 was better comfort lol
Think of it this way. The more air in the tire the easier it rolls as there is less flex and losses, but a stiffer/harder tire can't soak up pot holes as easily. If you go to the extreme at 30 psi your tires have a lot of flex and easily soaks up bumps in the road. But that sidewall flex hurts efficiency. But at 55 psi you have very little losses as the tire is very stiff and you will feel every little bump.

Upvote 0
As for that (awful!) paint run, find yourself a GOOD paint detailer. If you can find a good one, these people are artists and can make paint issues absolutely go away. I used to have before-and-after pictures of some repairs to our cars, but I guess I lost them. A good detailer will sand that down, re-shoot it (probably with an airbrush) and then clearcoat it. It will look good as new.

If you don't know a detailer, try checking with some good car dealers. They often need to make minor touchups on new cars as they come in, and keep a detailer either onsite or on call. They'll usually gladly take jobs like yours, and I'd be surprised if they'd charge you more than $100-150 for that.

Upvote 0
As for that (awful!) paint run, find yourself a GOOD paint detailer. If you can find a good one, these people are artists and can make paint issues absolutely go away. I used to have before-and-after pictures of some repairs to our cars, but I guess I lost them. A good detailer will sand that down, re-shoot it (probably with an airbrush) and then clearcoat it. It will look good as new.

If you don't know a detailer, try checking with some good car dealers. They often need to make minor touchups on new cars as they come in, and keep a detailer either onsite or on call. They'll usually gladly take jobs like yours, and I'd be surprised if they'd charge you more than $100-150 for that.
Oh that be AMAZING if it was $150.. I'm in NYC so I usually add $1000 to everyone on here's estimate lol. Whoever did this did an atrocious job. And they did a terrible little touch up job above the headlight. But do places have the pearl white color?

Upvote 0
Oh that be AMAZING if it was $150.. I'm in NYC so I usually add $1000 to everyone on here's estimate lol. Whoever did this did an atrocious job. And they did a terrible little touch up job above the headlight. But do places have the pearl white color?

Any competent body shop can order ANY paint formulation, if they so desire.
There are no high-end paint shops in NYC. You will have to look in NJ or LI, and drive there.

Reactions: classychris92
Upvote 0