Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Passenger Wiper Blade Jumping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
Anyone else have an issue with the Model Y wiper blade on the passenger sides stuttering when in use, would be interested to hear if anyone else has this issue?

It isn't an issue to replace but I am wondering if Tesla provided me with a faulty blade from pickup incase others run into a similar issue, If anyone can post a picture of their original actual blade on the Model Y for the passenger side, would be appreciated, I've tried tested replacing with an aftermarket blade and its been fine

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles
Usually, the skipping or stuttering is caused by contaminants like wax on the glass if both wipers shudder. You might try denatured alcohol as a cleaner for the glass to remove waxes or other contaminants. Not sure how that affects ceramic coatings if you had that done.

If only one of them shudders, I would look at replacing the blade. The arm that moves the blade might be worth looking at if it has less springiness than the other side. Is it visibly bent? The rubber should contact the glass at about 90 degrees. Most wiper arms go 20 years or longer without issue and if it is a new problem, I would suspect the blade itself. You say you changed out the blade and it is fine now. My guess is that the issue was with the rubber on the blade or blade holder. If one wiper has given an issue, the other may not be far behind. Wiper blades should always be replaced in pairs.

Thanks for replies. I have fixed it by replacing the wiper with an aftermarket and doesn't look like its going to be a problem from now, however not exactly great if the original ones supplied were faulty to begin with (cars a few months old)

I am just wondering if Tesla has supplied some faulty blades to customers here recently in the UK for the Model Y (Deliveries only been going on since Feb in the UK)

If anyone could take a picture of the passenger side wiper blade for the Model Y would be appreciated thanks

Last edited:
I had my first real rain in my new MY. Auto was way too active (went to max). On the slower non auto settings, the blades skidded. I did have ceramic done with my PPF. Pretty surprised at the experience so far… i would love the ability to turn down the sensitivity on the auto setting.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezla041