Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found out the Michelin all seasons started shipping yesterday. Guess we will see if they start coming on it now that both sizes are being produced and it’s a Tesla OE tire flag now with the inserts.

Where did you hear this?

And I honestly don’t think we’ll see all season tires. It’s a Performance Model Y, why would they put all seasons on one of their Performance version vehicles when it literally entered production 8 months ago. I personally don’t see them switching up tires this soon in the game. And if you think they care about people driving on a summer tire in cold climates, I think everyone is thinking wrong. That’s why Tesla sells (well not yet, but aftermarket marketplace does) winter tire and rim packages. Does the Performance Model 3 have all season tires on it? I don’t think so. So this idea that we will get all season tires is something I personally don’t think is going to happen. I think the delay is simply due to a WAY HIGHER demand for the Long Range than the Performance, and they are pushing their more desirable vehicle out the door as fast as they can so they can have those record profit deliveries each quarter. Look at that delivery tracker sheet, about 95% of it is Long Range Model Y, hardly any demand for Performance. And they’re only running one line, GA4 right now, and they aren’t going to stop the manufacturing process every other day just to produce Performance versions. Stop getting your hopes up for something that won’t happen, and you’ll love and enjoy your Model Y even more when it FINALLY gets delivered. I’m just being a realist too, not a party pooper.

If the lot at the Tesla center by me is any indication, they Uberturbines are being curbed at such an alarming rate that they have had to stop the production line. Maybe this means they'll start offering the 20's as an option on the P, lol

If the lot at the Tesla center by me is any indication, they Uberturbines are being curbed at such an alarming rate that they have had to stop the production line. Maybe this means they'll start offering the 20's as an option on the P, lol

Many of us would love that option, just like on the S and X! Bigger wheels are an option on the performance variants.

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
Where did you hear this?

And I honestly don’t think we’ll see all season tires. It’s a Performance Model Y, why would they put all seasons on one of their Performance version vehicles when it literally entered production 8 months ago. I personally don’t see them switching up tires this soon in the game. And if you think they care about people driving on a summer tire in cold climates, I think everyone is thinking wrong. That’s why Tesla sells (well not yet, but aftermarket marketplace does) winter tire and rim packages. Does the Performance Model 3 have all season tires on it? I don’t think so. So this idea that we will get all season tires is something I personally don’t think is going to happen. I think the delay is simply due to a WAY HIGHER demand for the Long Range than the Performance, and they are pushing their more desirable vehicle out the door as fast as they can so they can have those record profit deliveries each quarter. Look at that delivery tracker sheet, about 95% of it is Long Range Model Y, hardly any demand for Performance. And they’re only running one line, GA4 right now, and they aren’t going to stop the manufacturing process every other day just to produce Performance versions. Stop getting your hopes up for something that won’t happen, and you’ll love and enjoy your Model Y even more when it FINALLY gets delivered. I’m just being a realist too, not a party pooper.

Didn’t hear it was coming on them. But Michelin told me on the phone they had the tires designed and ready for production just waiting on the ok from Tesla and the order. They couldn’t say more than that a few weeks ago but they are OE tires which means they will come on it at some point.

Well, if they’re still putting P-Zero’s on the Model 3 Performance, I don’t foresee them changing that up for the Model Y. I think they’ll still put summer tires on it. I could see Michelin selling an all season as an aftermarket tire in the staggered sizes that Tesla puts on the Model Y, but not on the Model Y from the factory. The Model Y has a pretty good amount of torque and it needs a sticky tire to keep it planted to the ground, and able to send all of that torque and make it felt to the passengers. If it’s all the Model Y does is limit the torque through the traction control system because the tires keep slipping, then all that generated torque will never be felt, let alone useful. That’s why you need a sticky summer tire.

Reactions: Daks and Clark_Kent
Well, if they’re still putting P-Zero’s on the Model 3 Performance, I don’t foresee them changing that up for the Model Y. I think they’ll still put summer tires on it. I could see Michelin selling an all season as an aftermarket tire in the staggered sizes that Tesla puts on the Model Y, but not on the Model Y from the factory. The Model Y has a pretty good amount of torque and it needs a sticky tire to keep it planted to the ground, and able to send all of that torque and make it felt to the passengers. If it’s all the Model Y does is limit the torque through the traction control system because the tires keep slipping, then all that generated torque will never be felt, let alone useful. That’s why you need a sticky summer tire.
All depends on the rubber formula. Michelin still calls it a ultra high performance sport tire. They can do a ton with different tread and rubber designs. And as we all know EV formulas are advancing a lot right now with Michelin. Pirelli is just using standard sports car formulas which is why they won’t give any warranty even tho they rate it as a 25k tire and it won’t even last that on the highway.

Wonder if anyone has put drag slicks on and ran it down the quarter mile...

• Funny
Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
They aren’t traction limited.
So you’re saying there’s no traction control system? The info about all-wheel drive on the Model Y homepage states that “Tesla All-Wheel Drive has two ultra-responsive, independent electric motors that digitally control torque to the front and rear wheels—for far better handling, traction and stability control.” Sounds like a traction control system to me!

Where was it mentioned before? I couldn't find what kinda of tires they were using even a few months ago.
Going to agree with you. Was looking through my screenshots I had taken of what the Performance offered in terms of options and didn’t see where Pirelli’s were offered.

I still think everyone’s getting their hopes up over a change from summer tires. Don’t see it happening, it’s a Performance vehicle. And Tesla doesn’t care if you want all seasons or something else on your Performance vehicle. That’s why they sell winter tire packages! To offer us options, and take our money, haha!

Reactions: Quorky
Going to agree with you. Was looking through my screenshots I had taken of what the Performance offered in terms of options and didn’t see where Pirelli’s were offered.

I still think everyone’s getting their hopes up over a change from summer tires. Don’t see it happening, it’s a Performance vehicle. And Tesla doesn’t care if you want all seasons or something else on your Performance vehicle. That’s why they sell winter tire packages! To offer us options, and take our money, haha!

I’ve only seen it on the mobile page never paid much attention on pc as I only used it when I placed my order. When you go down to select options it lists the pirelli pzero for model 3 but has been removed from the model y page.

It used to say it on here.

Attachments

• E210B50D-8257-43A2-B97F-7ECD6B9441A2.jpeg
    E210B50D-8257-43A2-B97F-7ECD6B9441A2.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 52
  • C486D81B-133A-45A5-8EF5-A66CD40AE939.jpeg
    C486D81B-133A-45A5-8EF5-A66CD40AE939.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Quorky
So you’re saying there’s no traction control system? The info about all-wheel drive on the Model Y homepage states that “Tesla All-Wheel Drive has two ultra-responsive, independent electric motors that digitally control torque to the front and rear wheels—for far better handling, traction and stability control.” Sounds like a traction control system to me!
Traction limited means something different to racers - they are torque limiting them off the line to keep from breaking stuff or amperage limits or whatever reason - it's an AWD vehicle with near infinite torque pulling 60' times that relatively tame 2wd cars on regular old tires are capable of at the drag strip - that's what I mean by saying they aren't traction limited. They pull about a 1.9-ish 60', that's just a sorta-ok high-HP RWD ICE car launch on a prepped surface. 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance 1/4 Mile Drag Racing

Anybody who's launched one of these compared to any high-HP ICE AWD car can tell Tesla is being conservative/protecting some part of the powertrain until about 30mph. What's cool about the EV powertrain thuogh is torque metering is so precise, it can probably do that 1.9 just about any time of day in any conditions short of ice and snow

EV's also don't benefit from the flywheel effect the ICE cars get at launch - there's no momentum from 50+lb of spinning mass to suddenly turn into tire smoke by engaging a clutch, you have to bring all your torque with you so to speak, so I assume they run a real risk of twisting CV joints in half if they don't hold back a bit from a stop, and if that doesn't break, low speed high torque means high amps and I'm sure the electron pipes aren't quite sized for max juice at step-off. I'm idly wondering if anybody has broken any axles in dyno mode, no idea if anybody has

My point was, bolting on stickier tires probably won't make much difference to how hard Model Y is able to launch withuot fooling with other things, and sticky tires have their drawbacks as soon as the car is moving. But as youtube people have already demonstrated, removing 20lb from each corner with a simple 18" wheel/tire swap definitely helps

Last edited: