Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also shows 3.79 seconds 0-60 during the 1/4 mile attempt. Is there a launch technique for best 0-60? And what does “roll out” mean?
I believe this is the video that shows 3.426 seconds on the Vbox and 3.79 on the Dragy. Roll out is an industry standard used to measure acceleration for 0-60 runs. In essence, the timer doesn't begin until the vehicle travels ~ 1 ft. It replicates dragstrip time measurement technology.

Something else I’ve noticed. Doesn’t the Model 3 and Model Y share the same battery? And shouldn’t they charge at the same rates? Or does the Model Y have a different charging capacity? The website fueleconomy.gov (which is an EPA website) says the 2021 Model 3 Performance charges at 9.6 hours at 240 volts with 48 amps via high power charge connector. The 2021 Model Y Performance is listed at 6.6 hours at 240 volts with 72 amps via high power charge connector. If they have the same battery, then why does this difference exist?

Difference between 48 amps and 72 amps, and no mention of 72 amps for the 2020 Model Y? Does this mean anything seeing as how there’s zero mention of it for the 2020 Model Y’s? I attached a screenshot if you don’t feel like looking on the website

Attachments

• E0E12065-9753-4025-BD1D-270BA166CC43.jpeg
    E0E12065-9753-4025-BD1D-270BA166CC43.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 88F90F23-8DAB-4B42-9BB3-AA603ED80350.jpeg
    88F90F23-8DAB-4B42-9BB3-AA603ED80350.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
Something else I’ve noticed. Doesn’t the Model 3 and Model Y share the same battery? And shouldn’t they charge at the same rates? Or does the Model Y have a different charging capacity? The website fueleconomy.gov (which is an EPA website) says the 2021 Model 3 Performance charges at 9.6 hours at 240 volts with 48 amps via high power charge connector. The 2021 Model Y Performance is listed at 6.6 hours at 240 volts with 72 amps via high power charge connector. If they have the same battery, then why does this difference exist?

Difference between 48 amps and 72 amps, and no mention of 72 amps for the 2020 Model Y? Does this mean anything seeing as how there’s zero mention of it for the 2020 Model Y’s? I attached a screenshot if you don’t feel like looking on the website
The Model 3 LR and Model 3 Performance share the same battery as the Tesla Model Y. The Model 3 Standard and Standard Plus have a different battery. It's also worth noting there's a difference between battery capacity and the onboard charger. You could have two vehicles with the same battery capacity but the onboard charger on one could convert AC power into DC energy at a higher rate. I'm not suggesting that's what the charts you posted indicate.

I'm not surprised it's that low. Even I hesitated about getting the performance and decided on LR in the end cuz there's just not enough differentiation to command an extra $10k. The performance needs at least air suspension to make its case more compelling. Not to mention, those 21 in. wheels turned me away like it does for a lot of people too as there's no option to downsize.

I'm not surprised it's that low. Even I hesitated about getting the performance and decided on LR in the end cuz there's just not enough differentiation to command an extra $10k. The performance needs at least air suspension to make its case more compelling. Not to mention, those 21 in. wheels turned me away like it does for a lot of people too as there's no option to downsize.
Here’s to having hope we get the air suspension or something extra when they start production again :). Still wish they offered the 20s as standard with a lower price and 21s as a 2k price upgrade.

They said as of oct 15th they were finishing up at Panasonic on the upgraded battery cells. Maybe we will get them too.

Radzer - Your lips to the factory's ears on that. I'd be super stoked if we got new batteries and even more stoked if we got air suspension. I dislike the 21"s as well. But I should be able to deal with them as a summer tire - and run aftermarket 19s or 20s for the 6-7 months of winter... (Sep 15 to May I can run studded snows)

Really irritated that I missed getting the performance Y without the performance package.

Radzer - Your lips to the factory's ears on that. I'd be super stoked if we got new batteries and even more stoked if we got air suspension. I dislike the 21"s as well. But I should be able to deal with them as a summer tire - and run aftermarket 19s or 20s for the 6-7 months of winter... (Sep 15 to May I can run studded snows)

Really irritated that I missed getting the performance Y without the performance package.
Stealth and was too expensive imo for what you didn’t get.
And it wouldn’t be the battery day ones. It would just be current size with chemistry improvements. Even allowing faster charging overall would be a plus.

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
I had ordered the Performance, but have decided to change the configuration to the LR version. Thanks to some posts on TMC that they were not getting any all-season tires, I went on Tirerack and NTB, and neither one had a single all-season tire available for either size. While I did prefer the Performance version, I live in Western Pennsylvania, and am not interested in a good weather car -- I need to be able to use it all the time. A sad choice on my part, but there didn't seem to be a good alternative. I have to say that it would have been nice if one of the people at the local store had mentioned that "you know this is a good weather car only" or something to that effect.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
I had ordered the Performance, but have decided to change the configuration to the LR version. Thanks to some posts on TMC that they were not getting any all-season tires, I went on Tirerack and NTB, and neither one had a single all-season tire available for either size. While I did prefer the Performance version, I live in Western Pennsylvania, and am not interested in a good weather car -- I need to be able to use it all the time. A sad choice on my part, but there didn't seem to be a good alternative. I have to say that it would have been nice if one of the people at the local store had mentioned that "you know this is a good weather car only" or something to that effect.
Michelin has there tires out. Gotta search by size not by car.