Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I speculate there's a change coming along with the 7-seat configuration. I wonder what that might be–suspension?
Great speculation, and a hopeful one, but that’s not a reason to delay MYP. That would be a delay across the board, and they wouldn’t only install air suspension in just 7 seaters. Tesla isn’t known to complicate the manufacturing process by only doing certain things in certain cars. It’s usually an across the board change.

Great speculation, and a hopeful one, but that’s not a reason to delay MYP. That would be a delay across the board, and they wouldn’t only install air suspension in just 7 seaters. Tesla isn’t known to complicate the manufacturing process by only doing certain things in certain cars. It’s usually an across the board change.

I could see air suspension being performance only. Didn’t they skip it on the model s 75d?

Sometimes I’ll notice it change slightly but it comes back quick.

I wonder if this has anything to do with it?:

Seems they are installing 12 giga-press machines maybe they are hoping to run model y perf and LR at the same time? (they are all for different factory locations berlin is slated for 8 of them)

Fascinating look at Tesla's mammoth 'Giga Press' machine being assembled

here is an excerpt from the article about making 12 giga-presses for Tesla: (edited)
upload_2020-11-5_9-14-19.png

The YouTube video linked is dated Nov 3rd and the top comment is a gentleman noticing the serial number is for giga-press #3 which corroborates the timeline of a late Oct installation.
upload_2020-11-5_9-16-12.png

It would make sense from a supply chain point of view to run these lines together since the parts are nearly identical instead of batching them separately.

Running a project like that with razor thin timelines could be causing the delays we are seeing now.

No evidence to back it up but this could be part of the reason for LR's flying off the shelves and perf's not

Last edited:
I wonder if this has anything to do with it?:

Seems they are installing 12 giga-press machines maybe they are hoping to run model y perf and LR at the same time? (they are all for different factory locations berlin is slated for 8 of them)

Fascinating look at Tesla's mammoth 'Giga Press' machine being assembled

here is an excerpt from the article about making 12 giga-presses for Tesla: (edited)
View attachment 605587

The YouTube video linked is dated Nov 3rd and the top comment is a gentleman noticing the serial number is for giga-press #3 which corroborates the timeline of a late Oct installation.
View attachment 605588

It would make sense from a supply chain point of view to run these lines together since the parts are nearly identical instead of batching them separately.

Running a project like that with razor thin timelines could be causing the delays we are seeing now.

No evidence to back it up but this could be part of the reason for LR's flying off the shelves and perf's not

Performance doesn’t get high enough orders. And the press parts are identical right?

Performance doesn’t get high enough orders. And the press parts are identical right?
According to the data we have it is about a 10% ratio from Model Y performance to Model Y LR AWD. The press parts are exactly the same with exception right now for Berlin and European model y's are going to also have a mega-front cast.

The only reason why to me this is significant is that if you need more volume in a manufacturing scenario you need more lines. it is normally too costly to just make an assembly line run faster.

Logistically it would make sense to lump Performance and possibly RWD into 1 line which if I had to guess would reach about 25% of the total order volume across all model y's (totally a wild ass guess). Which means they would have 2 gigapresses for LR AWD (67%) and 1 for LR RWD/PERF (the additional 33%) so you can keep the lines stocked with materials.

Again this is all some crazy conspiracy theory

According to the data we have it is about a 10% ratio from Model Y performance to Model Y LR AWD. The press parts are exactly the same with exception right now for Berlin and European model y's are going to also have a mega-front cast.

The only reason why to me this is significant is that if you need more volume in a manufacturing scenario you need more lines. it is normally too costly to just make an assembly line run faster.

Logistically it would make sense to lump Performance and possibly RWD into 1 line which if I had to guess would reach about 25% of the total order volume across all model y's (totally a wild ass guess). Which means they would have 2 gigapresses for LR AWD (67%) and 1 for LR RWD/PERF (the additional 33%) so you can keep the lines stocked with materials.

Again this is all some crazy conspiracy theory

I think once the LR rwd hits it would be the volume seller. Awd to be linked together.

Have we seen any Giga Presses being installed at Fremont? If not, then how could the addition of Giga Presses be a factor?
2 have been installed at Fremont so far out of 12 that are ordered for all the factories globally.

There has to be some reason for the delay, this and the tire thing is all we have so far.

I just feel like if it was something as simple as tires they would have put out a statement.

either those two things or they are backlogged on LR orders and have chosen to delay the perf production cycle who knows

2 have been installed at Fremont so far out of 12 that are ordered for all the factories globally.

There has to be some reason for the delay, this and the tire thing is all we have so far.

I just feel like if it was something as simple as tires they would have put out a statement.

either those two things or they are backlogged on LR orders and have chosen to delay the perf production cycle who knows
My SA did tell me he has been doing this for 2 years and performance models usually run second half of the quarter. I don’t have enough info myself to know if this is true on delivery’s but maybe someone who has been around longer would know.

My SA did tell me he has been doing this for 2 years and performance models usually run second half of the quarter. I don’t have enough info myself to know if this is true on delivery’s but maybe someone who has been around longer would know.

Wouldn't that be reflected in the 4-8week delivery estimates for orders in the middle of september?

I think you’re spot on!!

I'm not surprised it's that low. Even I hesitated about getting the performance and decided on LR in the end cuz there's just not enough differentiation to command an extra $10k. The performance needs at least air suspension to make its case more compelling. Not to mention, those 21 in. wheels turned me away like it does for a lot of people too as there's no option to downsize.
I agree that’s why I went with a stealth. It’s the best of both worlds.