Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance vs Y long range suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the MYP is down to 48090 & MLR 44050 I'm excited again. I like the stealth grey and want to pull the trigger on the MYLR only 1 at that price the rest are rougly +800+ same for the MYP. I'm thinking of holding out longer for the Honda Prologue to arrive in hopes Elon lowers the price more. I'd buy an Ultra Red MYP @ 49K right away or a Ultra Red MYLR at $45K.

I thought about that also.. the MYP I test drove had 21's and the MYLR had 19's. I know that can make a big difference in traction, but i wonder how much of a difference if any in body roll.
Didn’t really drive them around turns too aggressively but honestly they drove pretty similar. I ended up with the MYP because they had one in inventory in discount but this was before the big surplus. If I were to do it again I’d do the LR but I’m really just commuting mostly. I am likely downsizing my 21” to 19” wheels. It’s quite easy to find people selling the 21 Ubers.

MYP does have different suspension. It is stiffer and lower (less ground clearance). Different brakes too.
Brakes are the same between MY Trims since mid 2022. Only difference were mainly the rear, slightly since those were still sliding single piston calipers.

AxleCaliper DescriptionBrake PadBrake RotorRotor WeightCaliper StyleApplication
FrontBrembo Performance (Silver)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
RearMando Base (Silver)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
FrontBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y Performance
RearBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (up to 8/15/2022)
RearMando Base (Red)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (post 8/15/2022)

I thought about that also.. the MYP I test drove had 21's and the MYLR had 19's. I know that can make a big difference in traction, but i wonder how much of a difference if any in body roll.
Overall suspension geometry and arms are the same between the two. MYP shocks have a little less damping, slightly stiffer and lower springs.

Larger 21 inch wheel diameter also gives it a lower appearance.

Staggered wheel tire setup is mainly aesthetic on this car. It’s an AWD car you would benefit from a square stickier tire at a basic level.

Body roll and rear end losseness is apparent for both MYLR and MYP. Especially if you’re driving aggressive corners at an apex and higher speed slaloms.

Can be fixed with higher spring rates, coilovers, replacing the rear end suspension arms for lighter versions with spherical bearings. Makes a difference from stock rubber bushings. More so on higher mileage when they tend to wear. Sway bars can help finalize your suspension tuning.

Now that the MYP is down to 48090 & MLR 44050 I'm excited again. I like the stealth grey and want to pull the trigger on the MYLR only 1 at that price the rest are rougly +800+ same for the MYP. I'm thinking of holding out longer for the Honda Prologue to arrive in hopes Elon lowers the price more. I'd buy an Ultra Red MYP @ 49K right away or a Ultra Red MYLR at $45K.
Tesla could reduce the price more, but I doubt in response to the Honda Prologue. That is a GM ultium rebadge and GM ultium is off to a very rocky and slow start. GM could get this under control and start to put some pressure on Tesla, but so far that appears unlikely in the short term.

As for suspension differences, I test drove an MYP for a weekend (thanks Tesla) and found it to be pretty rough on bad pavement. The staggered tires were also a turn-off for ownership. Bought an LR instead and the ride is a bit better (still not good), and has a little more ground clearance for snow and fireroads.

Thanks for all the info.

I went to main Tesla store in my area, where they send you to take delivery from the smaller stores. Test drove a MYP and a MYLY w/ 20's. Funny thing is the MYLR with 20's handles much better than the MYP. First the steering wheel in sport mode felt very heavy like a sports car and the vehicle just felt like a slow sports car, low body roll and over felt heavily planted to the ground even on hard acceleration. In fact it felt so heavy that the acceleration was not thrilling at all. Now the MYP in sport mode the steering wheel was very light and easily turned even using two fingers. The suspension/ride also felt very light and nimble, not bouncy up and down nor uncomfortable body roll, but the vehicle just felt much lighter and the acceleration felt more thrilling, though i guess the ride height and softness of the Y made it a little less thrilling than the Highland LR under hard acceleration. The guy at the store said the 20's make a big difference in ride stability and handling on the MYLR, h<naee personally has an MYP.

Telsa quality control still is quite poor, gaps are far worse on Y than I remember when I had an M3P back in 2020. The Highlands looked better gap wise, but some had door alignment mismatch. Paint chips on the Ys particularly on the edges of the from bumpers where it meets the wheel well. 4 years later and Elon has even worse QC LOL

This hub has a parking lot for deliveries.. thats how many they sell. The park the car in a numbers slot and put a card "Congratulations <name> on your Tesla <model> purchase" or something like that. Great concept, but if you thought there QC at the factory was poor.. half the cars they were parking weren't properly washed, see pile up dirt/dust on some parts, and spray on tire shine, obvious and even some with scratches.

I've decided I don't want a Stealth Grey, well unless the price goes lower. The Ultra Red MYP I went in to see was in stock when I arrived, but sold by the time I was done test driving the different vehicles. The Stealth Grey MYP for 48090 also sold during my test drive. When I left there was plenty of MYPs at 49680 all Stealth Grey except one Blue. Reds are back to 52s.

I think the price drops are in response to analysts saying Tesla is going to miss their sales target on the April 1 report by a lot. I saw 5 vehicles sold while I was there , people who walked in and purchased on site, in addition to all the other deliveries.

I wonder if the price of the MYLR will dip below 44K.. I'd happily take a Stealth Grey at 42K or the MYP at 47. I'll see what the prices are tomorrow.. looks like Tesla is adjusting them through the day today and yesterday.