Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All-

I’m considering the Model Y performance over the long range with 20” wheels as it’s only 3k more and the delivery date is a lot sooner. My only concern is the 21” wheels and how long the tires will last with normal driving as they are expensive tires. I’m not going to be launching car at every traffic light and I do mostly highway miles. Just as a reference my Silverado does 50k miles on the tires and they still have a bit more to go. Also does the performance use air bag suspension and long range spring and shock? Thanks

Reactions: tommybahamaX
It all depends on your driving. how much load you carry, road condition, etc.
Performance tires wear out faster because they are design to provide better traction/friction between the tires and road surface. Like everything in life, you cannot have both long life and high performance.

Reactions: mangrove79
Expect 15-20 realistically.

Thanks. How many miles are the long range guys getting with the 20”. Again mostly highway miles to work and back. No load and south Florida roads. No pot holes and perfect paved roads. I’m not the speeding type and long range was fast enough for me but I really like the headlights, wheels and spoiler on performance. Also getting it 6+months sooner is a plus.

Reactions: Prodock
The MYP mostly comes with all season tires now so not the same as the previous Zero performance tires. Still, don’t expect 50k like a traditional car. It’s a 5k pound sports car. Even in chill mode they won’t last that long. Worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: MtnMarty
The MYP mostly comes with all season tires now so not the same as the previous Zero performance tires. Still, don’t expect 50k like a traditional car. It’s a 5k pound sports car. Even in chill mode they won’t last that long. Worth it in my opinion.

Thanks. Anyone know when the new batteries will be available? Do you think it’s worth to wait for them?

• Disagree
Reactions: coleman567
This is the list of MYP differences as far as I'm aware:

Shorter springs
More aggressive dampers
Different swaybar
Rear Spoiler
Alloy pedals
Larger wheels
and obviously the performance bump

@Bmarques

Everyone drives their Tesla way faster than they think. It turns fast, it starts fast, it just accelerates fast, pretty much at every speed.

Then some complain that the tires wear out faster than they thought. Others just buy performance tires and enjoy the drive.

With a heavy EV car and instant power, you will wear out tires.

It is possible to drive in “chill” mode all the time, but I’ve never read that anyone does that.

In Michigan, with potholes and bumpy roads, I chose 18 inch wheels on the M3 and 19 inch wheels on the MY.

I now use Michelin Cross climate 2 all season on the MY, and Michelin P4S summer tires on the M3 with XIce for winter snow tires on M3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corndart