Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y post-shutdown humming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Y has a constant hum under the passenger front wheel/dash area. Like a fan running. Everything is shut off, including sentry mode and interior cooling. The garage is like 55 degrees, so not warm. Seems the battery lost about 8-10% last night. I see this is happening to others. Any ideas?

My new Y has a constant hum under the passenger front wheel/dash area. Like a fan running. Everything is shut off, including sentry mode and interior cooling. The garage is like 55 degrees, so not warm. Seems the battery lost about 8-10% last night. I see this is happening to others. Any ideas?

These cars (Tesla’s) make lots of noises and most are completely normal. Hums/whooshes/clunking are things you may here at different times.

The battery is liquid cooled and may be doing stuff even if you haven’t driven in days. Fans may run seemingly random times.

Clunks or click/clack when the car wakes up is usually the high voltage contacts connecting the battery. Normal normal normal.

Losing 8-10% overnight is odd but sounds like you don’t have it plugged in either then. Sounds like Sentry is active still, big battery drain. You can “exclude home” and that will take care of that. Being a brand new car it’s going to be downloading the latest update which can be gigs worth over wifi and then rebooting. If you keep checking on the car through the app that will keep it “awake” which uses battery.

A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla.

Don’t overthink things in the early days or where to charge blah blah. Drag the slider to somewhere between 80-90% depending on what you like and be done with it. Post here if you’ve got more questions and remember the more details the better help/responses you’ll get from members here.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller