Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Nitpick Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • 16v low voltage, really? Why not 13v, or go all the way to 48 like Cybertruck?
Lithium batteries are 3.6 volts per cell (nominal), 3 cells is only 11.25 volts, which is too low. 4 cells is 14.4. The existing electrical system was not designed for 48 volts, but was capable of running the 4 cell lithium ion low voltage with minimal modifications.

Virtually all 12 volt systems can and do run at voltages significantly higher than 12 volts. Most newer ICE cars run the voltage at 13.5 to 14.5.

All this made it a no brainer to move to a four cell lithium ion low voltage battery due to it's increased reliability over a lead acid battery.
I have no doubt all future Tesla's as well as the automotive industry as a whole will move to the 48 volt architecture.

As for the other stuff, many of them have a setting you can change on the touch screen. As for insurance, easy fix, go with someone else.

Reactions: redpoint5
Lithium batteries are 3.6 volts per cell (nominal), 3 cells is only 11.25 volts, which is too low. 4 cells is 14.4. The existing electrical system was not designed for 48 volts, but was capable of running the 4 cell lithium ion low voltage with minimal modifications.

All this made it a no brainer to move to a four cell lithium ion low voltage battery due to it's increased reliability over a lead acid battery.
I have no doubt all future Tesla's as well as the automotive industry as a whole will move to the 48 volt architecture.

That's a great explanation for those unfamiliar with cell voltages and low voltage architecture.

I'm more curious why they didn't go with 4s LiFePO4 to bring the voltages very close to standard ~13.3-14.4v in cars with lead acid batteries? They're theoretically more durable and safer. It's the chemistry I replace batteries with.

48v is among the things I find most exciting about the CyberTruck, because someone had to be the first mover to adopt the standard. Ripping off the 12v Band-Aid needed to happen long ago.

The auto wipers seemingly have been getting worse lately. They’ve never been great, but have been mostly acceptable to me. Last week it was so bad during some light to medium rain I took it off auto and switched it to level 2 speed for the first time. Previously it had at least been tolerable on Auto.

That's a great explanation for those unfamiliar with cell voltages and low voltage architecture.

I'm more curious why they didn't go with 4s LiFePO4 to bring the voltages very close to standard ~13.3-14.4v in cars with lead acid batteries? They're theoretically more durable and safer. It's the chemistry I replace batteries with.

48v is among the things I find most exciting about the CyberTruck, because someone had to be the first mover to adopt the standard. Ripping off the 12v Band-Aid needed to happen long ago.
LiFePO4 cannot receive a charge below -10C and have trouble charging below 0C. If they did go to LiFePO4 they would have have to use active heating of the battery and add insulation to the case. Bottom line is I believe Lithium ion battery is a better choice for this specific application.

Agree, 48v is absolutely the way to go with modern vehicles, especially EVs.

LiFePO4 cannot receive a charge below -10C and have trouble charging below 0C. If they did go to LiFePO4 they would have have to use active heating of the battery and add insulation to the case. Bottom line is I believe Lithium ion battery is a better choice for this specific application.

I thought charging below freezing was an issue for all chemistries. Apparently some handle it better? I assumed Tesla had a heater for the low voltage battery, but you're saying it doesn't?

I place mine in the glove box to keep it from freezing temperatures, or in the case of the Prius, the battery is already located inside the cabin.

I thought charging below freezing was an issue for all chemistries. Apparently some handle it better? I assumed Tesla had a heater for the low voltage battery, but you're saying it doesn't?

I place mine in the glove box to keep it from freezing temperatures, or in the case of the Prius, the battery is already located inside the cabin.
In a way you are correct, low temps are a problem for lithium in general, but it is much less of of an issue for lithium Ion, and the charge rate to temp curve is much gentler with Lithium Ion.

I have an off grid cabin in northern Michigan and have tested cold weather charging with my solar setup. Lithium ions would charge at as low as -20c (with a temp compensated charge rate. My LiFePo4 would not even let me setup a low temp charge (The BMS has a temp cut off). I don't think it's worth the risk to use lithium Ion at my cabin, so I stuck with AGM batteries. I have looked into the self heating LifePO4s, but right now the price is too high.

I have seen nothing that states the lithium ion low voltage battery in the Tesla's have active heating. They are really small, Like 7ah. Maybe I am wrong, it would not be the first time.

Think about how many things that you may plug into the cigarette lighter port. It may be zero, but most people tend to have a few things.
There's not one in the Cybertruck.

You've got to move to USB-C.

Those number are a good generalization, but not necessarily representative of what Tesla is using.

And sure, Teslas and other EVs have limitations at lower temperatures.
But do you have to charge the low voltage cell at cold temps?

I don't think it's worth the risk to use lithium Ion at my cabin, so I stuck with AGM batteries. I have looked into the self heating LifePO4s, but right now the price is too high.

I don't know how involved you're willing to get, but I've been using 32700 7.2Ah LiFePO4 cells that can be had for around $4 each (if you order a bunch) from Aliexpress. I've got no idea if that ends up being cheaper than purchasing completed batteries.

Probably not worth the headache of welding 500 cells together, or whatever capacity you'd be shooting for.

I didn't see a master thread on Model Y nitpick issues. The purpose of this thread is mostly for others to chime in and provide solutions / education on aspects of the Model Y that could be improved. Feel free to vent here too. While this car is by far the best thing I've ever driven, I'm still learning, and there's always room for improvement.

Here's mine, and feel free to correct me (I still haven't RTFM yet since the car is a week old and I've been busy).

• Mirrors fold in at home while backing into the garage, or
  • Mirrors point at the ground while backing into the garage
  • Sentry mode seems to run at home despite excluding home (and makes a humming sound while doing it)
  • Tesla insurance considers taking a corner at > 0.4G an indicator of bad driving despite that being less than half the vehicle capability
  • Overriding autopilot and braking hard to compensate is considered by Tesla insurance as risky behavior
  • Car wants to prepare to go somewhere opening any door (starts HVAC, etc)
  • 16v low voltage, really? Why not 13v, or go all the way to 48 like Cybertruck?
  • Camera calibration has been at 80% for the last 80 miles
  • Poor performance with rain sensing
Really impressed with this car, but this is my petty list of annoyances so far. What are your complaints?

Starting HVAC immediately upon opening any door is annoying. I trained myself to turn off HVAC before exiting the car. If you just want to go grab something from the car in the garage quickly HVAC will immediately try to turn on. There should be a setting/option to delay HVAC start upon open door for 30 seconds". I worry about long term wear and tear on the components.

I wish the HP didn't start declining after about 50mph (carbon wrapped motor rotors would be a nice option for the Y).
Also the MYP comes with the same brakes as the MYLR, not the rebranded Brembo's like it used to.

A nice silver or lighter gray color option would have been nice. The pouting lips on the front could be improved upon.

Tilting mirrors are one of the first things I disable. The only time they come in handy is when backing in to a spot that has a curb on one side, and you're trying to get as far away oblivious door dingers as possible.

I agree with this. I have disabled mine too since backing into driveways and garages with it on is annoying. However not having it on those more rarer occasions when parking near a curb can be frustrating. Maybe it can autodetect the curb and turn on. Even more annoying is this recent law to have the car automatically slam into Park when you open the driver's door. This means you can't leave your driver's door slightly ajar easily (it can be done if you crawl slowly) to judge distance as you try to park closer and closer to the curb on a narrow street. GRRRRR!!!

Starting HVAC immediately upon opening any door is annoying. I trained myself to turn off HVAC before exiting the car. If you just want to go grab something from the car in the garage quickly HVAC will immediately try to turn on. There should be a setting/option to delay HVAC start upon open door for 30 seconds". I worry about long term wear and tear on the components.
I'm pretty sure that the components are going to be the same life as the motors on the car.

And it helps gets the car up to temperature faster.

Took the car on a 20 mile journey to a highway and the nearest Tesla dealership in an attempt to calibrate the retarded cameras. Finally, after 300 miles, I got to 100% and could engage autopilot. It impresses me that it can complete the trip home, but it doesn't try at all to avoid road hazards like potholes, drain divots, or anything else. It applies maximum braking at the apex of a corner, which is very wrong and dangerous. All braking should be completed before the corner. It wanders out when a merging lane widens instead of maintaining the normal distance to the lane line. It heavily brakes often, for everything. A billboard sign was interpreted as an emergency vehicle, but not so much so as to pull over. It did that 4 times until I passed it. It told me to pay attention several times, even though I can't look at the road any harder (had to look away, and look back). It wanted me to grab the steering wheel that I was holding about half a dozen times. It crowds the center line instead of centering in the lane. All inputs are more harsh than if I were driving. It's even worse than my wife. I don't get why it brakes hard approaching a stop sign, then applies throttle, then brakes hard again. It often does a needless hard brake, followed by acceleration. In situations where cross traffic wants to turn left in front of me, I hug the right side so they don't clip me. In situations where I'm approaching a stop light and can hug the left side of the lane so right turn people can get by, I do that. They didn't get the best drivers to train this thing. In summary, it drives better than the bottom 2% of drivers, but is in the top 1% of A-hole drivers.

• Funny
Reactions: Dear_OP
Took the car on a 20 mile journey to a highway and the nearest Tesla dealership in an attempt to calibrate the retarded cameras. Finally, after 300 miles, I got to 100% and could engage autopilot. It impresses me that it can complete the trip home, but it doesn't try at all to avoid road hazards like potholes, drain divots, or anything else. It applies maximum braking at the apex of a corner, which is very wrong and dangerous. All braking should be completed before the corner. It wanders out when a merging lane widens instead of maintaining the normal distance to the lane line. It heavily brakes often, for everything. A billboard sign was interpreted as an emergency vehicle, but not so much so as to pull over. It did that 4 times until I passed it. It told me to pay attention several times, even though I can't look at the road any harder (had to look away, and look back). It wanted me to grab the steering wheel that I was holding about half a dozen times. It crowds the center line instead of centering in the lane. All inputs are more harsh than if I were driving. It's even worse than my wife. I don't get why it brakes hard approaching a stop sign, then applies throttle, then brakes hard again. It often does a needless hard brake, followed by acceleration. In situations where cross traffic wants to turn left in front of me, I hug the right side so they don't clip me. In situations where I'm approaching a stop light and can hug the left side of the lane so right turn people can get by, I do that. They didn't get the best drivers to train this thing. In summary, it drives better than the bottom 2% of drivers, but is in the top 1% of A-hole drivers.
I think this belongs less in the Model Y nitpick thread and more in an FSD nitpick thread…of which there are many since there are plenty of nits to be picked with FSD!

Way cheaper, though switching insurance always saves a ton because of rate-creep.

Geico was billing me $83/mo for liability only insurance on a 2006 Acura TSX. Tesla full coverage is $99/mo with roadside assistance (which was just a few cents a month).

I'm sure Tesla will increase the rate over time, at which point I'll switch.
Cheaper doesn't equal better sometimes. There are numerous articles about how Tesla insurance has left people out in the cold regarding claims.

Reactions: nate704