Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Nitpick Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see a master thread on Model Y nitpick issues. The purpose of this thread is mostly for others to chime in and provide solutions / education on aspects of the Model Y that could be improved. Feel free to vent here too. While this car is by far the best thing I've ever driven, I'm still learning, and there's always room for improvement.

Here's mine, and feel free to correct me (I still haven't RTFM yet since the car is a week old and I've been busy).

• Mirrors fold in at home while backing into the garage, or
  • Mirrors point at the ground while backing into the garage
  • Sentry mode seems to run at home despite excluding home (and makes a humming sound while doing it)
  • Tesla insurance considers taking a corner at > 0.4G an indicator of bad driving despite that being less than half the vehicle capability
  • Overriding autopilot and braking hard to compensate is considered by Tesla insurance as risky behavior
  • Car wants to prepare to go somewhere opening any door (starts HVAC, etc)
  • 16v low voltage, really? Why not 13v, or go all the way to 48 like Cybertruck?
  • Camera calibration has been at 80% for the last 80 miles
  • Poor performance with rain sensing
Really impressed with this car, but this is my petty list of annoyances so far. What are your complaints?

Last edited:
Camera calibration has been at 80% for the last 80 miles
That doesn’t sound right to me at all. Mine calibrated within a few miles of me pulling out of the parking lot where I accepted delivery. I’d make a service appointment and let them check that out.

At least a few of these points can be resolved in the settings…How do you know what Tesla considers risky behavior? Do they give you some sort of score?

That doesn’t sound right to me at all. Mine calibrated within a few miles of me pulling out of the parking lot where I accepted delivery. I’d make a service appointment and let them check that out.

At least a few of these points can be resolved in the settings…How do you know what Tesla considers risky behavior? Do they give you some sort of score?

I've seen others on the forum reporting 1,000 miles to calibrate, so I'm not concerned. Apparently it wants a straight freeway to quickly calibrate, and there's only backcountry roads around here.

The mirrors are a very minor complaint given the backup cameras and overlay of obstacles in the garage. I'll probably learn to prefer the lack of mirrors while backing up.

Here's what my insurance stats look like so far, and the explanation of the various metrics;

IMG_5797.PNG

IMG_5798.PNG

I've had half a dozen "take immediate control" warnings on autopilot so far when there was absolutely nothing presenting a danger, but again, cameras are still calibrating.

• Mirrors fold in at home while backing into the garage,
  • Mirrors point at the ground while backing into the garage
Cameras turn on, so no need for mirrors. I think you can change the setting not to fold. The mirror dip is necessary when you are reversing elsewhere.
  • Sentry mode seems to run at home despite excluding home (and makes a humming sound while doing it)
You need to setup Home with your address, so it will not run the sentry mode.
  • Tesla insurance considers taking a corner at > 0.4G an indicator of bad driving despite that being less than half the vehicle capability
  • Overriding autopilot and braking hard to compensate is considered by Tesla insurance as risky behavior
Well, not the car issue. you chose to have the Tesla insurance. So, change the insurance company will solve this issue.
  • Car wants to prepare to go somewhere opening any door (starts HVAC, etc)
Turn off the climate before you exit the car. Also, turn off the automatic destination suggestion feature (if enabled).
  • 16v low voltage, really? Why not 13v, or go all the way to 48 like Cybertruck?
I have no issue running any accessories rated for 12V since almost all accessories are rated between 12V-24V
  • Camera calibration has been at 80% for the last 80 miles
keep driving around. You will get there.
Really impressed with this car, but this is my petty list of annoyances so far. What are your complaints?

Apparently it wants a straight freeway to quickly calibrate, and there's only backcountry roads around here.
That explains why mine calibrated so quickly; I took the car directly onto the freeway in order to get home. I remember being surprised when I got the pop up alert saying the cameras had completed their calibration because it was only about 10 minutes after I started driving and I was expecting it to be longer based on some other reports here on this forum. You should try driving south to Corvallis; that should do it.

That interesting about the scoring. I wonder if I can get my score even though I’m not using their insurance….would be curious to see what kind of driver it thinks I am. Was Tesla insurance cheaper that your previous carrier?

Reactions: redpoint5
I didn't see a master thread on Model Y nitpick issues. The purpose of this thread is mostly for others to chime in and provide solutions / education on aspects of the Model Y that could be improved.

The reason there isnt already a thread like this is because probably 1/3 of the threads on this website are some form of people complaining about X or Y. Even though I get that your intent is benign, there is virtually zero chance that this thread does not end up in a @$!@#$ session.

Was Tesla insurance cheaper that your previous carrier?

Way cheaper, though switching insurance always saves a ton because of rate-creep.

Geico was billing me $83/mo for liability only insurance on a 2006 Acura TSX. Tesla full coverage is $99/mo with roadside assistance (which was just a few cents a month).

I'm sure Tesla will increase the rate over time, at which point I'll switch.

My family had a 3 and it had a bumpy ride. Test drove the Y and it felt better so I was impressed.

Got my Y finally and the feeling of bumpy ride came back. End up being a little better than 3 but not a whole lot better.
I noticed that too. There's a bit of a rear end shimmy when going over cracked pavements depending on angle.

For me, it's the kindergarten paint work around the door jams and underhood. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot man.

What's wrong with simple latch for the glove compartment?

I find the Auto wiper a bit goofy. Could likely be me not setting it up right. Must give credit overall that the 2024 Y is much better than previous years and certainly much much better than the Model 3.

I didn't see a master thread on Model Y nitpick issues. The purpose of this thread is mostly for others to chime in and provide solutions / education on aspects of the Model Y that could be improved. Feel free to vent here too. While this car is by far the best thing I've ever driven, I'm still learning, and there's always room for improvement.

Here's mine, and feel free to correct me (I still haven't RTFM yet since the car is a week old and I've been busy).

1. Mirrors fold in at home while backing into the garage, or
  2. Mirrors point at the ground while backing into the garage
  3. Sentry mode seems to run at home despite excluding home (and makes a humming sound while doing it)
  4. Tesla insurance considers taking a corner at > 0.4G an indicator of bad driving despite that being less than half the vehicle capability
  5. Overriding autopilot and braking hard to compensate is considered by Tesla insurance as risky behavior
  6. Car wants to prepare to go somewhere opening any door (starts HVAC, etc)
  7. 16v low voltage, really? Why not 13v, or go all the way to 48 like Cybertruck?
  8. Camera calibration has been at 80% for the last 80 miles
  9. Poor performance with rain sensing

1-2) Time to maybe read at least some of the manual.
3) There may be some current issues with it, a few others have reported. But make sure that home is in the right place.
4) If a car can go 400 mph, then should it complain about going 100 mph. Safe has nothing to do with what a vehicle can do.
5) It takes time to learn to trust the Autopilot. But I dare say that the car was going to stop correctly.
6) Because that's usually the case? And is there a problem?
7) Most car alternators bring the car voltage to over 13.8V. If it goes below that, things don't work as well. Batteries aren't available in all voltages, so they chose the option that fit the problem best.
8) Have you been out on some long and relatively straight roads? 80 miles is a little long,
9) That's a personal preference and you'll see a lot of debate about it. LOTs!

8) Have you been out on some long and relatively straight roads? 80 miles is a little long,
9) That's a personal preference and you'll see a lot of debate about it. LOTs!

Haven't been on long straight roads. I need to spend some time on I-5 it seems.

It was raining fairly heavily Saturday, and I gave it minutes to activate, but it never did. Finally I manually triggered the wipers and continued to do so throughout the drive. At some point it activated automatically, but would often just stop until I manually wiped again. My best guess is they rely on the cameras to detect rain and those are still calibrating.

It was raining fairly heavily Saturday, and I gave it minutes to activate, but it never did. Finally I manually triggered the wipers and continued to do so throughout the drive. At some point it activated automatically, but would often just stop until I manually wiped again. My best guess is they rely on the cameras to detect rain and those are still calibrating.
"auto wipers" (lack of) functionality, have been and continue to be my biggest complaint with both model 3s and Ys. Sometimes they are better, sometimes they are worse, sometimes they are "almost ok but not quite" and sometimes they are so bad its enough to get visibly angry, for me.

Between getting used to pushing the manual swipe button on a regular basis, and learning early on to use voice commands to change wiper speeds ("set windshield wipers to speed X", where X = 1,2,3, or 4) I manage it, but in almost 20 years of BMWs I never had to think about wipers other than to set them to Auto at the beginning of my 3 year lease, one time.

I know why this is (Tesla doesnt use the rain sensor everyone else does, they use cameras) but, in over 5 years of ownership, this feature has never been fully "acceptable" to me. It probably never will, and I just deal with it, because I like so much else about the car(s).

Reactions: Thp3 and redpoint5

Yea, straighter, and I forgot to mention dry roads is generally what's needed for calibration.

A Tesla is a continuous learning experience @redpoint5 . You benefit from reading the manual. Twice when you get the car and at least once every two years. Yes it changes with the OTAs. And if you think you can nitpick now, after the Christmas update most people have “ issues”. And it seems like Tesla does not care. Their software priorities are opaque. No one seems to know what is coming.

It’s fun and interesting, enjoy!

Ventilated seats would be nice.
Self cleaning camera lenses like the rear one on a Volt so the Vision system isn't so easily Degraded...
Not specific to MY but Nav still has my house on the opposite side of the road though showing it correctly. A Year plus of bug reports makes no difference.

I gave up on bug reports except while using the Free FSD supervised , I want to help when I can.
. Same for the school that is close, refuses to recognize a 20MPH sign and says 45. That would be a Big Ticket if written.

Nit Picks Again .

I dig this MYP.

defogger doesn't have a vent pointing along the driver/passenger windows
way to see door handles in the dark
stuff slides off the center console area too easily
passenger 3 point seat metal belt buckle sometimes clanks on plastic door frame
need bigger sideview mirrors because we can zip across lanes quickly

Ahh, the beta auto wipers. No bueno. Infinite speed selections would be a nice addition. or maybe just a couple slower speeds. Like FSD, I think many of us have control issues ,and leaving it up to a non humanoid is anxiety producing. Tilting mirrors are one of the first things I disable. The only time they come in handy is when backing in to a spot that has a curb on one side, and you're trying to get as far away oblivious door dingers as possible.