Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Potential 3rd Row - Rear Facing Seating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Sandy Munro video, it seems that the 3rd row will be rear facing,
with possible access both from the rear hatch or from the second row.

Having rear facing would allow to have even adult size person able to seat instead of kids.
However previous pictures seems to indicate that the 3rd row will be front facing.

Note: I would have removed the side covers under the triangle rear window to look for any seat belt bolt locations.

What do you think?

MY3rdRow .jpg

EKyiRlsW4AEWJWj

Reactions: Fiddler
It certainly seems more realistic for head and leg room. And they have the history of the model S RFS. It’s just weird they put the time and effort into front facing 3rd row for the prototypes...

The downside for RFS is no cargo space other than the frunk

here's some wild speculation, let's start some rumors.

3rd row will be rear facing. will require stronger/extra parts in the back for rear crash safety. also will require air suspension. tow hitch will require air suspension for load leveling.

therefore i am now waiting (forever?) for a 7-seater Model Y with air suspension and tow hitch. :D

It certainly seems more realistic for head and leg room. And they have the history of the model S RFS. It’s just weird they put the time and effort into front facing 3rd row for the prototypes...

The downside for RFS is no cargo space other than the frunk
I think the rational of having a second sub-trunk is to provide a location for the 3rd row passengers' feet.

Also, in the case of a rear facing 3rd row, how the second sub-trunk could be accessible?

I think this guy hasn't been following the model y very close and took a guess. Watching his videos and listening to his wild assumptions about various things tesla did makes me laugh.
Also makes me laugh when he says tesla took his advice on Model y design.

If you look at the Model Y webpage and scroll down to the Utility section, you can see the folded down seats for the 3rd row and they are clearly front facing as the hinges are at the very bottom of the image.

Attachments

• 465F32F9-9BB6-4D80-BFC1-95E3CD75098D.jpeg
    465F32F9-9BB6-4D80-BFC1-95E3CD75098D.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 137
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I think this guy hasn't been following the model y very close and took a guess. Watching his videos and listening to his wild assumptions about various things tesla did makes me laugh.
Also makes me laugh when he says tesla took his advice on Model y design.

Even from just his videos, there were multiple issues that Sandy Munro brought up when going through the M3 where he suggested improvements which seem to have made its way to the MY; to think Tesla ignored all his recommendations yet coincidentally came up with the same improvements is naive.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Curious if tesla considered a different angled hatch providing more head room for front facing 3rd row seats. 3K for extra seats is a bit pricey. A BMW X5 3rd row seat option +air suspension is listed at $1350.

That's a good point. Also might explain the delay to 2021.

Honestly, Tesla is so agile, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even have a set plan on how to implement these seats yet.