Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Price Increase (Mar 10)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price of the SR+ Model 3, Long Range Model 3 also just increased, by $500. The Model 3, Model Y share up to 70% of their respective parts. The battery pack, although smaller for the SR+ Model 3, is also a major shared component. It appears that at least part of the price increase of the Model Y may be due to supplier costs in additional to upgraded features. The Model 3 received the updated console, heated steering wheel but not the laminated front door glass. (Why didn't the Model 3 also get the laminated glass?)

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddysCar
Starting about 18 pages in (sorry, the pages are not numbered sequentially starting with page 1) there are two pages that provide a summary of test results for the Long Range Model Y and the Performance Model Y. Just search for "charge to depletion".

The newer ~82kWh capacity battery pack versus the older ~78kWh capacity battery pack is already being used on the 2021 Model 3, 2021 Performance Model Y. It makes sense that eventually all Model 3 and Model Y battery packs in the US and Canada will include the newer battery pack design. I have no way of knowing how this is related to the cost of the cells but prices for nickel, cobalt and lithium are all rising.

I did not mean to create a controversy regarding the older and newer battery pack being used in the Model Y. The OP is about the $1,000 price increase. Some of the enhanced features of the 2021 Model Y must have added to the cost of manufacturing. The laminated front glass and the heated steering wheel are two prime examples.

The Model Y has been out for about one year. Although Tesla introduces updates and enhancements throughout the life of the vehicle Tesla may periodically update pricing when necessary. Typical automobile manufacture year-over-model-year price increases of ~$500 are not unusual. That's all I am trying to point out.
OK. I see your logic. that whatever gets introduced to the performance version will likely be added to the long range version later. makes sense. Well, i tried to find 'charge to depletion' but the search function said that 'depletion' didnt exist in the document! Oh well, no big deal. As for an increase in battery size, i will believe it when i see it on the Electrek or Teslarati websites, or if Elon (or other expert) tweets it.
Sure, i understand you didnt want to create controversy. Just that when you mentioned a 5% larger battery that got me interested and wondering what battery is in my MY. No big deal. I am not stressed out about it. Espec since i still have my Long Range AWD M3 for trips.

OK. I see your logic. that whatever gets introduced to the performance version will likely be added to the long range version later. makes sense. Well, i tried to find 'charge to depletion' but the search function said that 'depletion' didnt exist in the document! Oh well, no big deal. As for an increase in battery size, i will believe it when i see it on the Electrek or Teslarati websites, or if Elon (or other expert) tweets it.
Sure, i understand you didnt want to create controversy. Just that when you mentioned a 5% larger battery that got me interested and wondering what battery is in my MY. No big deal. I am not stressed out about it. Espec since i still have my Long Range AWD M3 for trips.
Search for EPA EV Multicycle Calculator (SAE J1634 Oct 2012)" at the top of the page.

Manufacturer: Tesla Inc.
Carline: Model Y Long Range AWD
TOTAL 77702.18 (Note: this is in Wh, so 77.7kWh)

EPA EV Multicycle Calculator (SAE J1634 Oct 2012)

Carline: Model Y Performance AWD
TOTAL 81051.59 (Note: this is in Wh, so 81.0kWh)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilber
Just got off the phone with SA. I know several are in my situation. I ordered MY the day before the price dropped in February, and my order agreement has always shown the original price of 49,990 plus other add ons. When the price dropped, the price on my account reflected that even though the order agreement didn’t change. I was assigned a vin earlier this week and completed my Tesla financing agreement with the lower price. SA says that the lower price is what I will pay, and not to worry about the higher price on my order agreement or the fact that the price went up prior to delivery.

Search for EPA EV Multicycle Calculator (SAE J1634 Oct 2012)" at the top of the page.

Carline: Model Y Long Range AWD
TOTAL 77702.18 (Note: this is in Wh, so 77.7kWh)

EPA EV Multicycle Calculator (SAE J1634 Oct 2012)

Carline: Model Y Performance AWD
TOTAL 81051.59 (Note: this is in Wh, so 81.0kWh)
OK - thanks for that text. I found it. those totals are the totals of eight different tests for each vehicle. So, I can see how you might conclude that is close to total battery capacity. It may be. but, the way the test cycles are set up they are just testing a different kind of driving in each test. Then they apparently use some SAE J1634 standard to compute EPA ratings. I give up. the report is just too technical for me.....

Wilber, You are reading too much into this document. No katter what the range is, the energy used is constant. The test is a battery run down test. So whatever energy is used is the (available) capacity of the battery. It is not close, it is. They charge to 100% then run all these tests until the vehicle is out of power then they report miles and energy used. Miles are irrelevant to battery capacity in these tests.

Admittedly I haven’t read the documents, but I do recall seeing something about the EPA calculating battery size based on how much to RECHARGE. Mainly because they weren’t concerned with what the manufacturer supplied you with but instead the cost to you to charge, which would also include charging loss. Does this specifically state that they measure the energy consumed during their tests? (I assume they would have to have a diagnostic tool rather than just looking at the Tesla display and listing how many kWh were used...)