Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear passenger clunking sound only during acceleration and slowing down.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read postings of noise during acceleration and slowing down but not for the Model. Y. I've heard people say it's the rear seat belt bucket, but not in my case. Well my new Model Y (3 months old) started making this clunking sound in the right rear seat belt area. It only happens when there's enough acceleration and deceleration forces, otherwise on turns, curbs etc, no noise. it's a one time "chunk" and then no further noise. When slowing down, same one time "clunk" noise as if whatever moved, moved back to its original position. I took my car into Tesla for servicing and they suggested my rear right door pillar welding needed to be fixed by a third party body shop (Tesla will cover cost). They showed me location along the spot welding points where they believe there is corrosion occurring, but layers of metal isn't moving or did show signs of paint fracture where they think there may be movement. Bigger point is, I don't think fixing a surface corrosion in that area will fix the noise issue and I don't want the idea of my new Model Y sitting in a body fender shop if I can avoid it. Did anyone experience this similar noise as described in their rear passenger Model Y?

thanks all!
Robert

I've read postings of noise during acceleration and slowing down but not for the Model. Y. I've heard people say it's the rear seat belt bucket, but not in my case. Well my new Model Y (3 months old) started making this clunking sound in the right rear seat belt area. It only happens when there's enough acceleration and deceleration forces, otherwise on turns, curbs etc, no noise. it's a one time "chunk" and then no further noise. When slowing down, same one time "clunk" noise as if whatever moved, moved back to its original position. I took my car into Tesla for servicing and they suggested my rear right door pillar welding needed to be fixed by a third party body shop (Tesla will cover cost). They showed me location along the spot welding points where they believe there is corrosion occurring, but layers of metal isn't moving or did show signs of paint fracture where they think there may be movement. Bigger point is, I don't think fixing a surface corrosion in that area will fix the noise issue and I don't want the idea of my new Model Y sitting in a body fender shop if I can avoid it. Did anyone experience this similar noise as described in their rear passenger Model Y?

thanks all!
Robert
I have the same problem with my Model Y from Austin, TX Gigafactory. Mine is definitely inside the cabin and sounds like something clunks in and out of place when accelerating and decelerating. I brought it into Tesla and they are trying to figure it out. They have all the trim pieces out in the back with someone sitting in the trunk trying to find the source of the sound. I hear a clunk on each side with my Model Y. They said the sound is a lot louder with all the trim out. I will update here when I hear from Tesla.

I have the same problem with my Model Y from Austin, TX Gigafactory. Mine is definitely inside the cabin and sounds like something clunks in and out of place when accelerating and decelerating. I brought it into Tesla and they are trying to figure it out. They have all the trim pieces out in the back with someone sitting in the trunk trying to find the source of the sound. I hear a clunk on each side with my Model Y. They said the sound is a lot louder with all the trim out. I will update here when I hear from Tesla.
I assumed what I've been hearing was my cable case shifting around (the velcro doesn't work because I put in all-weather mats).

My experience is that 'clunking' during load (acceleration / deceleration) is most often due to bad bearings in the drivetrain.
Bearings either bad, or press-fit/seated improperly. It's usually the latter on a newer vehicle.
It's not commonly seen by dealer shops, so easy to miss-diagnose.
Since the MYLR is 4 wheel drive, it would be harder to isolate but if it's primarily coming from behind the driver, it's the rear end.
I'm not certain whether the bearings are in the hub or part of the half shaft axle, or both.
But that's what I would suspect first.

The second suspect would be motor shaft bearings.
The Poster above says that his Tesla shop declared it was the rear subframe causing the issue.
Bearings support the motor shaft, so if by 'subframe' they mean motor mount, yes, that could be it.

Hey, did service cover the costs for this? I have the same issue on my 2023 Model Y

FYI, I just had this problem fixed. This is what service did.. Just got the car back and I tried to drive it pretty hard and problem is fixed!! They said they've seen a small handful of this issue.
IMG_4712.jpg

I’m getting this same noise from my 2021 Model Y. Doesn’t happen all the time, just on enough acceleration and deceleration. I took mine to the SC for a look and they keep telling me that nothing is wrong. How can I convince them otherwise? It truly doesn’t sound like it should be making this noise, and they can’t seem to replicate it either. I even have videos of it.