Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y rear passenger window spontaneously shattered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M-y 2022, delivered Dec 21, 21. Driving in residential neighborhood at 15 mph today and rear passenger window shattered. Tried to contact Tesla to talk to someone in service, but I’m sure you know how that goes. Anyone heard of this happening? Any advice on how to work with Tesla on this? Love the car, but a little worried right now.

M-y 2022, delivered Dec 21, 21. Driving in residential neighborhood at 15 mph today and rear passenger window shattered. Tried to contact Tesla to talk to someone in service, but I’m sure you know how that goes. Anyone heard of this happening? Any advice on how to work with Tesla on this? Love the car, but a little worried right now.
Save any dashcam footage you have now and try to see if you have it on video of it spontaneously exploding. If you have a USB drive (your car should have included one in the glovebox, although I'm not sure if 2022 model still includes it given cutting elsewhere), safety remove it (press and hold the icon to pause dashcam from writing, it should turn gray, and remove it).

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note even if the footage is deleted (after being over the 1-hour loop limit), you can recover deleted files with Recuva (presuming you have a drive large enough to store enough footage).

If you can prove it exploded spontaneously, you may be able to get it covered under warranty as it's not unheard of. If you can't, the SC may require you to pay for it as the default assumption is something else broke it. Note a lot of insurance policies have full glass coverage, to if it ends up you get denied warranty coverage, you should check if you have it before paying anything out of pocket.

Edit: I noticed your comment about Model Y. If you are looking for Model Y specific advice instead of generic advice, note you posted this in the Model 3 forum, and most people here would be Model 3 owners (unless they happened to own both). You may be able to get the moderator to move this to the Model Y forum for more visibility. You can send a private message to him by pressing the little envelope icon to the right of your user name on the top menu bar and pressing start a new conversation, then having the moderator as the recipient.
Moderator Introduction - jjrandorin

Last edited:
If you are looking for Model Y specific advice instead of generic advice, note you posted this in the Model 3 forum, and most people here would be Model 3 owners (unless they happened to own both). You may be able to get the moderator to move this to the Model Y forum for more visibility. You can send a private message to him by pressing the little envelope icon to the right of your user name on the top menu bar and pressing start a new conversation, then having the moderator as the recipient.
Moderator Introduction - jjrandorin

(moderator notes)

I noticed this thread and moved it to the model Y subforum. Also, note that the best way to get a moderators attention here is to actually report the post, then state in the report what you are reporting it for. The "report" button is in the bottom left hand side of every post in a thread.

This does a couple things:

1. logs the report in the software so it can be reviewed later / provides trackability
2. Allows any moderator with rights to take action on the report.

TMC is a very large site, with moderator duties split up, amongst a number of people, but (for example) I am not the only moderator for the model 3 subforum.. just the most visible / vocal one (lol).

I was driving on the freeway and my right rear window just sudden exploded. Not sure if it was a rock flew from a another vehicle. But it was just suddenly random.
I have a 2021 Tesla Model Y and this is my first time experiencing this.
Please share any info if any other Model Ys have experienced this!
I am wondering why most of these spontaneously window shatter is always on the right rear window…

I had this happen on a new Toyota RAV4 once. Like 2 days after I took delivery. I suspect the glass was weak/defective from the factory but there was no convincing Toyota of such. “Something must have hit it”.

I replaced it and drove the car 150k more miles, never happened again. Ah well.

Reactions: Pianewman
Do you have a pic of the shattered glass? You could probably figure out how the damage occurred by the way it shattered.

Same happened to me, except entire rear liftgate window. Spontaneous explosion. It was cold, about 33-degrees F outside. Car was parked and I had the defrost on blast for about 15 minutes. Hope this is a one-off thing, and not due to living in cold regions.

Some say it is ultimately the result of a manufacturing impurity (look up nickel sulfide in tempered glass).

@Trev206 @chrislever how did this end up getting covered, insurance or Tesla?

IMG_2753.jpg