Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Retractable Cargo Bay cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fred how's that cargo cover working out? I looked at the RPM site, is yours the vegan leather or the canvas? I've seen various versions around now and am trying to find the best, please advise. And if anyone else has recommendations please chime in - thanks in advance! Almost forgot, did you compare to the one from Tesmanian?

Last edited:
There seems to be slight differences in how the plastic attachment end pieces are shaped and designed by various suppliers. I just ordered the version from Tesmanian. It's about $20-$30 more than most of the other versions but I decided on it based on the attachment designs which look like they will hold up better around the seat belt opening and the ends towards the hatch do not cover the buttons for releasing the rear seats. The design for how the cover would lock into place seemed well thought out though I think they should have been down turned to work better with gravity/ vibration forces. I'm hoping I made the right choice and will update on how it performs once it arrives, which is either tomorrow or Tuesday. I ordered on Friday and am returning a really cheap version I bought on Amazon for $99. The price was too good to be true. But I do wish the Tesmanian version wasn't so expensive.

Now if only someone would invent or create a roller shade after market sun shade for the glass roof, that we could DIY install. Manual or motorized options. Maybe a single or two piece that starts from either end and allows you to keep either the back or front portions open or closed depending on what we are trying to do or want to see. With the bottom face of the sunshade having a similar or same color as the Model Y headliner (hate the black fabric most sunshades have) and a reflective top and a track along the edges to guide and keep it tight or closer to the glass roof shape. I would buy that. I suspect, may others would too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Here at TeslaShields, our design team spent the last 6 months designing our cargo bay covers. I am happy to announce that we finally competed our first working sample and is now available for pre order for $139

you can see how they look here:

Thank you for your time,
Jason
Co-founder
I tried the pre-order link to see your product but I get a "404 Page not found" - is there a problem?

Now if only someone would invent or create a roller shade after market sun shade for the glass roof, that we could DIY install. Manual or motorized options. Maybe a single or two piece that starts from either end and allows you to keep either the back or front portions open or closed depending on what we are trying to do or want to see. With the bottom face of the sunshade having a similar or same color as the Model Y headliner (hate the black fabric most sunshades have) and a reflective top and a track along the edges to guide and keep it tight or closer to the glass roof shape. I would buy that. I suspect, may others would too.
Uhh...don't hold your breath. There aren't enough customers to justify the R&D that this would require. VW had a retractable shade on their 2009>>> Jetta Sportwagen. I loved it, until it broke at a young age. Not an easy engineering feat at all.

For those who've put the cargo cover in, has anyone noticed any significant change in the stereo's performance? Wondering what the impact would be with the woofer between the cover and the listener.
I have not noticed any difference in the audio system's performance since installing the cargo cover. There might be a resonant frequency with the cover extended but I have not noticed any difference in the sound. The cover is not air tight, there are gaps on the sides and at the rear. The cover is not advertised as being acoustically transparent but for bass frequencies, i.e. below several hundred Hz this should not matter as the wavelength is more than twice as long as the dimensions of the cover.

Reactions: mrwug
My rear clips didn't stay attached very long, and my rear seats will not recline all the way.
I purchased the BASENOR cargo cover for my Model Y. I have not had any issue reclining the 2nd row seats with the cargo cover roller shade in place. Knowing that some Model Y owners had experienced an issue with the rear mounting brackets not staying stuck I researched this issue. I found that there is a product from 3M that is sold as an adhesive promotor. This is a pre-treatment for the area where the foam tape will be applied. You can find this product on Amazon. It comes in small foil packets that you tear open and quickly apply using the included foam applicator pad. The mounting surface needs to be clean of any oils or contaminants. The adhesion promotor should only be applied when the temperature is between 60F and 80F. The chemicals in the adhesion promotor dry very fast, you should install the mounting brackets as soon as the surface is dry but not more than 1 hour. I tested the fit of the cargo cover but waited 8 hours for the adhesive to set before using the cargo cover. Partly due to the summer temperatures inside my garage being 100F I have not left the cargo cover extended. When I use the cargo cover it has only been for short periods. I am confident that when I need to deploy the cargo cover the brackets are not going to pull off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennisis
I purchased the BASENOR cargo cover for my Model Y. I have not had any issue reclining the 2nd row seats with the cargo cover roller shade in place. Knowing that some Model Y owners had experienced an issue with the rear mounting brackets not staying stuck I researched this issue. I found that there is a product from 3M that is sold as an adhesive promotor. This is a pre-treatment for the area where the foam tape will be applied. You can find this product on Amazon. It comes in small foil packets that you tear open and quickly apply using the included foam applicator pad. The mounting surface needs to be clean of any oils or contaminants. The adhesion promotor should only be applied when the temperature is between 60F and 80F. The chemicals in the adhesion promotor dry very fast, you should install the mounting brackets as soon as the surface is dry but not more than 1 hour. I tested the fit of the cargo cover but waited 8 hours for the adhesive to set before using the cargo cover. Partly due to the summer temperatures inside my garage being 100F I have not left the cargo cover extended. When I use the cargo cover it has only been for short periods. I am confident that when I need to deploy the cargo cover the brackets are not going to pull off.
Yes, I agree on the surface prep - always the most important step. I still have most of a small bottle of adhesion promotor received with the door seal kit I got last year and intend to use it regardless of which cover I choose.

Yes, I agree on the surface prep - always the most important step. I still have most of a small bottle of adhesion promotor received with the door seal kit I got last year and intend to use it regardless of which cover I choose.
I suggest taking the time to test the fit of each bracket before peeling the backing from the double side tape. I outlined the final placement of each bracket using painter's masking tape. Once you peel the backing from the double sided tape and the tape contacts the panel it will not be easy to remove the panel to adjust the fit. Once the panel has been placed I suggest using a small round handled tool such as a putty knife wrapped in a clean rag. Press the round end of the tool firmly against the parts of the bracket where the double sided tape is located on the back side of the bracket. If you hear a clicking or popping noise that means that the adhesive tape is not firmly attached to the panel and to press harder until the sound is gone.

I suggest taking the time to test the fit of each bracket before peeling the backing from the double side tape. I outlined the final placement of each bracket using painter's masking tape. Once you peel the backing from the double sided tape and the tape contacts the panel it will not be easy to remove the panel to adjust the fit. Once the panel has been placed I suggest using a small round handled tool such as a putty knife wrapped in a clean rag. Press the round end of the tool firmly against the parts of the bracket where the double sided tape is located on the back side of the bracket. If you hear a clicking or popping noise that means that the adhesive tape is not firmly attached to the panel and to press harder until the sound is gone.
Two small/medium clips, i.e. paper binder clips helped to hold the seat belts out of the way when installing the front brackets for the cargo cover.

• Helpful
I have not noticed any difference in the audio system's performance since installing the cargo cover. There might be a resonant frequency with the cover extended but I have not noticed any difference in the sound. The cover is not air tight, there are gaps on the sides and at the rear. The cover is not advertised as being acoustically transparent but for bass frequencies, i.e. below several hundred Hz this should not matter as the wavelength is more than twice as long as the dimensions of the cover.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I would've expected with the closed cover more or less acting as a diaphragm but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

I ended up ordering the one from Tesmanian - I got all my mats from them and they've held up well for over a year now. It looks like a quality product and I like the mounts - seem well made and secure. I used their 10% discount code and got free shipping so only $144 out the door. I wasn't looking for the cheapest, just a good quality product. It appears they've only been selling it for a month or so from the reviews but they seemed genuine and all positive so there's that. Once I get it installed I'll update - thanks for all the comments and tips! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: jcanoe
I was surprised by how much tension was on the spring that retracts the cover (at least when new.) It is this tension that causes the rear brackets to want to pull away from the interior panels of the Model Y rear cargo area. I think it would possible to reduce the tension on the spring. It appears to be similar in function to a roller shade. (There are a few videos on YouTube that show how to adjust the spring on a roller shade.)

I also got the Basenor version. The drivers side clip also pulled away from the body in less than a week after initial install. It is pretty hot here, although the MY is parked in a garage most of the time. I used carpenters clamps to hold the clips in place during install, and that obviously didn't do much. I'll try some 3M tape and see if I can make that work.

I just installed the Tesmanian version. The back bracket wraps around the seat belt opening. It has a slot to allow you to pass through the seat belt. I test fitted, cleaned the area with an alcohol wipe to remove any oil and grease and used the adhesive promoter before peeling off tape covers and installing the bracket. I pressed on it for a couple of minutes. The front brackets have a lip that fits over the edge of the plastic liner of the trunk, so that helps with the rearward pull from the cargo cover spring tension. In general it appears the brackets were well thought out. The concern I have is the portion where the aluminum frame of the cargo cover sits in the bracket. Unlike some of the other versions, the receptacle portion is small. It's not the same size as the frame itself but a much smaller opening and on the frame it's a small element that sticks out with some kind of felt covering. I do wish it was bigger. The frame ends are spring loaded, so you push it in to be able to fit it into the brackets, just like standard cargo covers in other cars. The spring tension helps keep the frame in place. We'll see how well this holds up with regular use.
Overall the fit and finish is good. Tesmanian kept the overall quality good.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe and Dennisis