Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious, if you folks hear a lot of wind/turbulence noise from the roof rack at highway speeds? I had to install a Thule fairing on my old car to silence the noise it generated...
I’m getting a whistling noise at low speed (20-30pmh and higher.) It’s coming from the passenger side. Planning to attach some foam deflectors that I can move around to see where the noise is coming from.

I’m getting a whistling noise at low speed (20-30pmh and higher.) It’s coming from the passenger side. Planning to attach some foam deflectors that I can move around to see where the noise is coming from.
I did not detect any significant noise change when I installed my roof racks. I also didn't detect any range change, even after removing them for a couple of trips. I can not say there is "none," only that my car is still quieter than any ICE car on the highway, and there is no sound at any speed up to 90mph that stands out as wind noise.

Of course specific cars might have a trim panel misalignment that could garner them different results. Also, I'm not anal-retentive about expecting my car to be dead silent. At certain temperatures on bumpy roads, there are creaks if I listen for them, but I don't.

Reactions: AlexHung
for those of you taking your roof rack on and off. are you replacing the sticker film or just leaving it on?
I stopped taking it off, but I definitely never removed the film when I was taking the rack off. For one thing, it's a fairly task-specific film, I'm not sure what it is, but if I were going to do that, I'd want to replace it with the same thing. I imagine that they did some amount of testing, and chose it for durability in this specific application.

Applying it was a bit tricky, and required cleaning the glass. That would be an inordinate amount of extra trouble, and it's already the most difficult roof rack to install that I've ever owned.

I am curious, if you folks hear a lot of wind/turbulence noise from the roof rack at highway speeds? I had to install a Thule fairing on my old car to silence the noise it generated...
When you talk about the wind noise of the roof rack, I have to recommend TESERY Tesla roof rack.

M.Y-Chalk-White-_-BP_AutoSpa___MGL8238.jpg

TESERY Tesla roof rack has been newly designed to achieve maximum aerodynamic efficiency, minimum wind noise and low impact on fuel consumption and driving mileage. Compared with other roof racks, TESERY Tesla roof rack can provide you with a quiet environment.
And the upgraded roof rack is equipped with locks at both ends to effectively prevent theft and make it safer to use.

Hi All,

I'm researching the model Y and a roof rack is a must.

Their specs say the Tesla roof rack ($500) is rated for 165 lbs.

Tesmag sells one for less ($279), and is rated at 220 lbs.

Obviously, being cheaper and stronger the Tesmag sounds better, but is there any reason I should reconsider before getting get one?

TIA!
Richard
The cost of replacing the roof glass might deter you. I know on the model 3, the roof rack has caused some issues with installation.

Our roof rack is made of premium aluminum alloy material. The crossbars on the roof rack have a load rating of up to 150 lbs. with locks that function as anti-thief, making them ideal for carrying items that are larger than your trunk, such as bikes, surfboards, ski boards, luggage, etc.
20% off now for sitewide and just $200 for roof rack.