Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR - Order cancelled 11 months later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model Y SR on January 9, 2021 and have been waiting for 11 months. Today, I was informed the configuration I ordered is no longer available.

I went to "update design" and my only option now is to pay $19,000 more for the long-range Model Y. Bt clicking "update design", I also forfeited the order fee refund, which I would have received had I done nothing and let the order cancel automatically. Was really hoping there would be more options when I clicked that button.

We’re contacting you regarding your Model Y order RNXXXXX placed on January 9, 2021. We’d like to help you update your configuration, as we no longer build the configuration you originally selected. We’re excited to support you through the process and deliver your reconfigured Model Y at your earliest convenience.

To update your configuration, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select Update Design by December 9, 2021.

If we do not hear from you by December 9, 2021, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order fee.

Thank you for supporting the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Aside from ordering the long range car, am I basically out of options at this time? I get that the Model Y SR was likely a loss leader car for marketing purposes, but I expected they would at least fulfill all orders received. Bummed.

I ordered a Model Y SR on January 9, 2021 and have been waiting for 11 months. Today, I was informed the configuration I ordered is no longer available.

I went to "update design" and my only option now is to pay $19,000 more for the long-range Model Y. Bt clicking "update design", I also forfeited the order fee refund, which I would have received had I done nothing and let the order cancel automatically. Was really hoping there would be more options when I clicked that button.

Aside from ordering the long range car, am I basically out of options at this time? I get that the Model Y SR was likely a loss leader car for marketing purposes, but I expected they would at least fulfill all orders received. Bummed.
So you are saying you ordered 11 months ago and it never got delivered? No red flag on why it was taking so long? What was the EDD? Or, had you never completed the profile as you were not ready for it, and now it’s not available? I saw a post from someone that placed his order 2 years ago and had it cancelled as it was not available.

If this had been on hold for 11 months, not sure why anyone to expect it to be available still

I purchased mine in march. SR dark gray with white interior n gemini wheels. Not sure what your configuration was but they were definitely available back in January n February since i was in L.A. at the time n checking on them almost weekly.

I have an order active from Jan *2020* for a RWD model. I never got an option to take delivery in this timeframe. And today, I get the same e-mail as the OP :(
I wish Tesla gave other options for loyal customers who put down a $2500 deposit and have been waiting all this time.

I have an order active from Jan *2020* for a RWD model. I never got an option to take delivery in this timeframe. And today, I get the same e-mail as the OP :(
I wish Tesla gave other options for loyal customers who put down a $2500 deposit and have been waiting all this time.
Any communication with your SA during that almost-two-year period? The three-month wait for our Y was excruciating. I can’t imagine waiting two years for my order. Did you get any other updates in that timeframe before cancellation? Was everything ready on your end to take delivery while waiting (profile complete, funding secured)? I thought they don’t put you in the queue until profile and cash/financing is completed.

Any communication with your SA during that almost-two-year period? The three-month wait for our Y was excruciating. I can’t imagine waiting two years for my order. Did you get any other updates in that timeframe before cancellation? Was everything ready on your end to take delivery while waiting (profile complete, funding secured)? I thought they don’t put you in the queue until profile and cash/financing is completed.
I was in touch with the SA every 4-6 months or so. I had all the documentation uploaded soon after placing the order.
With the pandemic, I didn't urgently need a (second) vehicle - but I was keenly waiting for it to get delivered.

:(

I ordered a MY SR 7-seat on Feb 20, that's two days before they pulled SR from the config studio. And I got this very nice fcuk you message when inquiring about my options now that Tesla has told us SR won't be made:
Screenshot_20211214-103854.png

There never was anything wrong about our order, it was ready the whole time on our end. Tesla just didn't fulfill all SR orders. And many months later the deal is now: go config a MY LR from scratch for a July 2022 delivery, at the new higher price. And not even an apology!

Reactions: ebwb and voxel