Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR price now ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or: buy a pre-owned one at a heavily-inflated cost.
Here you go. They were selling it for $70k now dropped to $66k
GarGurus

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 3.25.59 PM.png

Last edited:
Wondering if the SR will be brought back to US (or maybe a SR+)? Placed an order for a Model Y but just not sure the extra expense for the range we don't need is worth it. And I know based upon my model S what type of range I need/comfortable with.

Wondering if the SR will be brought back to US (or maybe a SR+)? Placed an order for a Model Y but just not sure the extra expense for the range we don't need is worth it. And I know based upon my model S what type of range I need/comfortable with.
I have my model YSR order in the system from January, I’m wondering if it will ever get delivered. Just sitting on it for now…

Reactions: hpartsch
IMO its definitely going to be brought back to the menu in the US. After all.. doesn't the SR+ 3 still exist on the menu.

Really no secret as to why Tesla took it away. They are now production strained on the Y as demand greatly outpaces supply. The chip shortage has only exacerbated this issue. This is also why you the see the price on the LR still being raised, while new sales records are happening every quarter. Until that situation changes (i.e. other factories like Austin or Berlin come online), it just doesn't make sense to sell the cheap Y in the US, when you have too many buyers waiting on orders for the more expensive LR and P trim levels.

Evidence of this exist as in countries where demand is lower or has fallen.. the SRY now been re-introduced. I believe as of last week.. this now includes China, Hong Kong and even Japan: China: Tesla Introduces Model Y Standard Range

Reactions: hpartsch
IMO its definitely going to be brought back to the menu in the US. After all.. doesn't the SR+ 3 still exist on the menu.

Really no secret as to why Tesla took it away. They are now production strained on the Y as demand greatly outpaces supply. The chip shortage has only exacerbated this issue. This is also why you the see the price on the LR still being raised, while new sales records are happening every quarter. Until that situation changes (i.e. other factories like Austin or Berlin come online), it just doesn't make sense to sell the cheap Y in the US, when you have too many buyers waiting on orders for the more expensive LR and P trim levels.

Evidence of this exist as in countries where demand is lower or has fallen.. the SRY now been re-introduced. I believe as of last week.. this now includes China, Hong Kong and even Japan: China: Tesla Introduces Model Y Standard Range
Generally, I agree that they are supply constrained and are selling every MY they produce at whatever price they sell it for. However, there hasn't been any evidence of lagging demand in China/HK so not sure that is the reason for introducing the SR there.

I feel like China has transitioned their MYSR to lower cost LFP packs just like the M3 SR+ and those aren't being used in US yet. Maybe they are just holding off on reintroducing in US until Austin opens and can take over some capacity and they can transition SR models to LFP here.

The more I read through the forums the more grateful I am for my experience. I went in to the showroom in Houston and put my order in 03/07/21 for the MYSR white on white. They had 5 on hand in the inventory out in Austin so I drove out there and accepted delivery on 3/16/21

Reactions: acebrigade

The Model 3 SR+ has been offered since day one, it never went "off menu." You might be thinking of the Model 3 SR which did go off menu and then fully discontinued.

The Model 3 SR+ has been offered since day one, it never went "off menu." You might be thinking of the Model 3 SR which did go off menu and then fully discontinued.
Nope. The Model 3 SR+ has not been offered since day one.

I have been watching both the Model 3 and Y since they were announced. The Model 3 technically launched toward the end of 2017 as Tesla delivered about 1500 of them that calendar year. A year later, when I first test drove the Model 3 (Sept 2018) there were only two versions available: The LR and the Performance. And the pricing was significantly more expensive about $55K for the LR and didn't include AutoPilot. The Performance was another $10K. The midrange 3 didn't come along until the end of 2018 priced at $48K. And it wasn't until 2019 when the SR+ was finally introduced at $40K.. almost 2 years after Tesla starting shipping the Model 3. I believe you then had to call Tesla, to get the absolute cheapest SR version for $35K (which was basically a software locked SR+).. and I'm sure that was only offered to fulfill Elon's 'public' promise of a $35K Tesla.

But the point remains the same. As long demand stayed high for the LR and Performance versions then it didn't make sense to sell the cheaper version. When demand softened, the cheaper version was brought to market. Elon's 'public' reason for canceling the SR version of the Y was that Tesla wouldn't sell vehicles that have a range below 250 miles.. but that doesn't make sense as they literally sold the SR version of the Model Y before he made that announcement. Hell, they also sold the SR and SR+ versions of the Model 3.. which also were rated at under 250 miles when launched. And of course, as I already pointed out.. the SR version of the Y is already now on sale in several parts of Asia. So about the only thing that's still sure.. is whenever demand softens for LR & P versions, Tesla will surely find a way to get a more affordable version on the road.. whatever that may be called.

Last edited: