Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tire Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I have a 2022 Model Y Performance with OEM tire sizes 275/35/21's in the back and 255/35/21's in the front. I have to change the tires, and I looking for advice on increse the tires sizes.

I like (275/35/21 Front and -295/35/21 Rear) to improved ride comfort and protection, but I don't know how it can affect the range.
Any suggestions?
Everyone is saying 265/40 and 295/40 for no rubbing
Have not heard a major range impact but I defer

That’s impressive. I only got 43k on recent M3LR. What are your driving habits and do you drive mostly highway or city? Drive like a grandma, or normal non-aggressive style?
Just wondering b/c I have 19k on MYLR now and have 6-7/32 left, so I don’t expect to get anywhere near 69k. I assume you’re talking miles not km.
I live in Florida and see my message: "Update: I have 69k miles on my original Continental ProContact RX 255/45R-19 tires". So, it is miles not kilometers. Secret: Chill Mode, highway auto steer at 73 mph, cloverleaf turns at 30mph (they can wait behind you for a little bit), no Tasmanian Devil driving. I drive 130 miles daily (65 miles each way to and from work). You smoke everyone like a NASCAR driver or you can save $1,500 a pop for 4 tires. If you have money to burn, do what you want. If you want to save or spend your $1,500 on something else, drive like me.

Maybe I’m an exception but I am at 15k miles and have 5.75 mm (7/32 inches) left on front, 4.75 mm (6/32 inches) remaining on rear. I did 2 rotations already (each one at 7,500 miles). Trying to make my tires last but they’re getting close to the limit.

At 5/32 Tesla says the tires are no longer good on snow, so I have about 1/32 of wear left until I need to replace them.
That said, winter will probably be over before my tread becomes unsafe in snow, so I can probably make them last all summer but still I’m projecting that I’m going to need to replace them at this rate of wear before 30k miles.

From this thread replacing tires at 30k miles seems like it’s unheard of. Why are my tires wearing so much faster than the rest of you? I don’t drive particularly rough or accelerate particularly fast…

Maybe I’m an exception but I am at 15k miles and have 5.75 mm (7/32 inches) left on front, 4.75 mm (6/32 inches) remaining on rear. I did 2 rotations already (each one at 7,500 miles). Trying to make my tires last but they’re getting close to the limit.

At 5/32 Tesla says the tires are no longer good on snow, so I have about 1/32 of wear left until I need to replace them.
That said, winter will probably be over before my tread becomes unsafe in snow, so I can probably make them last all summer but still I’m projecting that I’m going to need to replace them at this rate of wear before 30k miles.

From this thread replacing tires at 30k miles seems like it’s unheard of. Why are my tires wearing so much faster than the rest of you? I don’t drive particularly rough or accelerate particularly fast…
There are some that post miles in excess of 30k miles on their OEM tires (ContiProContact).

From the multiple threads I've read, I believe 30k miles is closer to the average.

Reactions: J-a-x

The OE Continental ProContact RX tire is not a good tire for driving in snow and ice even when new. Minimum legal tread depth is 2/32nd inch.; replace tires when tread depth is between 3/32nd and 4/32nd inch. If you purchase dedicated winter tires you could get more driving out of the OE tires. If you have to drive in snow there are many good choices for replacement all-season 4 (three snow peak symbol) tires starting with the excellent Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Tesla says to replace at 5/32 if you have to drive in snow, and 4/32 in all cases.

I was thinking if I hit 5/32 right around spring I can make it through summer, but will definitely replace before next fall in any case. Yeah the Conti Pro Contact is not great in snow, but I can manage. I’d definitely prefer something with better snow handling characteristics but in reality I only drive in snow once or twice a year in an emergency. I work from home and can usually just park my car until the roads are clear. For a few years I drove a mini cooper with conti pro contact in snow…

I heard good things about Cross Climate but not really happy about the range losses I’d have to deal with if i were to drive with them all year. Given the fact that I don’t drive in snow too often I would have a hard time paying for dedicated winter tires (plus nowhere to store them). I’d rather get a decent set of all seasons…. I wonder how the Hankook Ion Eva performs in occasional snow.

Tesla says to replace at 5/32 if you have to drive in snow, and 4/32 in all cases.

I was thinking if I hit 5/32 right around spring I can make it through summer, but will definitely replace before next fall in any case. Yeah the Conti Pro Contact is not great in snow, but I can manage. I’d definitely prefer something with better snow handling characteristics but in reality I only drive in snow once or twice a year in an emergency. I work from home and can usually just park my car until the roads are clear. For a few years I drove a mini cooper with conti pro contact in snow…

I heard good things about Cross Climate but not really happy about the range losses I’d have to deal with if i were to drive with them all year. Given the fact that I don’t drive in snow too often I would have a hard time paying for dedicated winter tires (plus nowhere to store them). I’d rather get a decent set of all seasons…. I wonder how the Hankook Ion Eva performs in occasional snow.
This is what Tesla states in the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual:

"Adequate tread depth is important for proper tire performance. Tires with a tread depth less than 4/32” (3 mm) are more likely to hydroplane in wet conditions and should not be used. Tires with a tread depth less than 5/32” (4 mm) do not perform well in snow and slush and should not be used when driving in winter conditions."

If you purchase a set of dedicated winter tires you can continue to safely use the OE tires only in spring, summer and fall driving. You could continue to drive on the OE tires, in fair weather only, replace when the tread depth is under 4/32nd. By switching to winter tires for half of the year you could probably extend the life of the OE tires by a year or more. Winter tires provide surer braking and handling when driving in snow and ice than even the best All Season 4 tires.

Last edited:

"Adequate tread depth is important for proper tire performance. Tires with a tread depth less than 4/32” (3 mm) are more likely to hydroplane in wet conditions and should not be used. Tires with a tread depth less than 5/32” (4 mm) do not perform well in snow and slush and should not be used when driving in winter conditions."

If you purchase a set of dedicated winter tires you can continue to safely use the OE tires only in spring, summer and fall driving. You could continue to drive on the OE tires, in fair weather only, replace when the tread depth is under 4/32nd. By switching to winter tires for half of the year you could probably extend the life of the OE tires by a year or more. Winter tires provide surer braking and handling when driving in snow and ice than even the best All Season 4 tires.
With low tread tires, 4 and less, regen slowing can cause dangerous complexities

Therefore with low tread tires where you have to wait due to travel or tires on order, turn regen off to not cause a tailspin

• Informative
Reactions: MattM24

Yep that is the same as what I said above (Tesla says to replace at 5/32 if you have to drive in snow). I plan to replace before 5/32.

Since I only drive a few times in snow each year it's hard to justify winter tires for 6 months which result in an efficiency penalty. It would be different if I lived somewhere that had snow on the ground 6 months out of the year...

Anyway, I will look for new tires with good all year performance which ideally also performs a little better in the snow than stock tires.

Yep that is the same as what I said above (Tesla says to replace at 5/32 if you have to drive in snow). I plan to replace before 5/32.

Since I only drive a few times in snow each year it's hard to justify winter tires for 6 months which result in an efficiency penalty. It would be different if I lived somewhere that had snow on the ground 6 months out of the year...

Anyway, I will look for new tires with good all year performance which ideally also performs a little better in the snow than stock tires.
Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 is the tire for you. Adequate if not decent winter performance, but drives like a summer tire in the summer.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: jcanoe and GOVA
What does the manual say about relative wear front to back?

Traction control usually relies on counting revs of wheels at each end to know when one end has lost traction and bring in the other end with the power or back off with the power.

That being the case if the fronts are too far gone with new tyres on the back the rear will scrape before TC brings in the front motor. If you are lead footed your rears will quickly regain parity with the front.

I don't know if that's how it works on dual motor Teslas but it might explain how some eat rear tyres so badly.