Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Hitch Electronic Brake Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased and installed an electronic brake controller to tow a trailer with a breaking system. I purchased the tesla of tail, connected this tail to the brake controller and it powered up fine.

I connected the trailer, and bad things started to happen. Most concerning, smoke began showing from the trunk area and front dashboard.

I disconnected the trailer and the smoke stopped... But now there is clearly an electrical problem. 12v battery dropped to 11.2V, brake pedal "chatters" when pressed, multiple electrical faults are showing on the screen, I cannot get the car into tow mode, etc.

The electronic brake unit appears to be fine, and none of those connections are melted.

Is it possible that the Auxiliary power to the trailer connection had a short, which caused a runaway current?

Tesla service won't accept the car until some other non-tesla mechanic agrees the car won't catch on fire...

It's been a rough day.

If there's smoke, there was a short somewhere or something wasn't wired correctly. Are you sure you didn't mix up the polarity for the white and black wires on the brake controller?

Black = Positive to the battery. Also you should have an inline fuse on this wire.
White = negative to the battery

Upvote 0
I'm sure it was wired correctly. Confirmed multiple times. Brake controller was connected and working correctly 3 days prior to the trailer being connected. Only change after connecting the trailer was the inclusion of the 12v aux power feed to the trailer.

I agree there was a short. Surprised the tesla fuse didn't trip.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased and installed an electronic brake controller to tow a trailer with a breaking system. I purchased the tesla of tail, connected this tail to the brake controller and it powered up fine.

I connected the trailer, and bad things started to happen. Most concerning, smoke began showing from the trunk area and front dashboard.

I disconnected the trailer and the smoke stopped... But now there is clearly an electrical problem. 12v battery dropped to 11.2V, brake pedal "chatters" when pressed, multiple electrical faults are showing on the screen, I cannot get the car into tow mode, etc.

The electronic brake unit appears to be fine, and none of those connections are melted.

Is it possible that the Auxiliary power to the trailer connection had a short, which caused a runaway current?

Tesla service won't accept the car until some other non-tesla mechanic agrees the car won't catch on fire...

It's been a rough day.
Hi, not sure if it’s related, but it might be worth knowing if you have a lithium ion battery.

My 2022 MYLR has a Lithium Ion battery. The power to the brake controller is 15.5 v in the driver footwell.12v aux on the 7 pin was disconnected at the factory.

Tesla didn’t communicate to me I found out on Social Media. My service org confirmed 15.5v. Prodigy said they don’t support it. I’m still trying to find a safe solution.

Upvote 0