Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Hitch package from Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else ordered the Tow Hitch package after purchase from the Tesla store? Just curious how long it takes to ship to the dealership for installation? I ordered on 8/21 and have yet to get a ship notification.

They normally only ship hitches to the SC of your choice and they do NOT send you shipping updates and they don't even update the order on the Tesla store other than "shipped to SC". Mine still shows that even though it arrived a month ago. Now for the bad news, if your build was June or before there's a good chance you need 2 additional parts (below): They tend NOT to ship those automatically even though they have your VIN and know if it needs or not. Also, if you intend to use a brake controller, there's an additional electrical plug you'll need as the Tesla plug is unique. They provide it on the X but for some reason not on the Y. I ordered my hitch on the day I got my Y (7/17). 6 weeks alter mobile service arrives to install without the hitch which was still at SC 80 miles away. I drove up and got it but they still can't install without the additional parts. No idea how long those will take.Here's a pic of the hitch, rather beefy and weighs 27lbs.
IMG_7551.JPG

1. FOAM SEAL, MY REAR PANEL
    Part #: 1554099-00-A

2. LOWER TRUNK ASSEMBLY
    Part #: 1508656-00-D

Interesting, and sounds like a terrible process so far. My car was built on 7/12, so hopefully fixed. I just got a response back from the store, the said it shipped to the SC, but that they may need additional parts to install....so lines up with what you're saying.

Yes, I ordered it post-delivery and it was shipped to the Service Center in a week or so. Made an appointment in the app and had it installed. I did not get any notices, but did send an email and got the tracking number in an reply.

Thanks for posting that photo. The hitch is made by this company Fixed Receiver - ACPS Automotive GmbH But a search of their website does not find any mention of the word “Tesla”. Interesting that Tesla decided not to use a Bosal hitch like they do for the Model X.

Are there any specs printed on the hitch, such as maximum allowed ball height above the receiver?
They normally only ship hitches to the SC of your choice and they do NOT send you shipping updates and they don't even update the order on the Tesla store other than "shipped to SC". Mine still shows that even though it arrived a month ago. Now for the bad news, if your build was June or before there's a good chance you need 2 additional parts (below): They tend NOT to ship those automatically even though they have your VIN and know if it needs or not. Also, if you intend to use a brake controller, there's an additional electrical plug you'll need as the Tesla plug is unique. They provide it on the X but for some reason not on the Y. I ordered my hitch on the day I got my Y (7/17). 6 weeks alter mobile service arrives to install without the hitch which was still at SC 80 miles away. I drove up and got it but they still can't install without the additional parts. No idea how long those will take.Here's a pic of the hitch, rather beefy and weighs 27lbs.View attachment 582094
  1. FOAM SEAL, MY REAR PANEL
    Part #: 1554099-00-A

2. LOWER TRUNK ASSEMBLY
    Part #: 1508656-00-D

I haven't noticed any specs printed on the hitch, but the Owner's Manual has this:

"The Model Y towing package does not include a ball mount. You must purchase a ball mount suitable for the type of trailer you are towing. The Model Y hitch receiver supports a ball mount with a length of up to 8.5” (22 cm) and a rise of up to 0.75” (2 cm). Do not use any type of drop ball mount that does not meet these requirements."

Has anyone else ordered the Tow Hitch package after purchase from the Tesla store? Just curious how long it takes to ship to the dealership for installation? I ordered on 8/21 and have yet to get a ship notification.
Call them up because the parts are already there, same with ordering the HomeLink, I called them and they said oh it’s here already and I went in for the install, 2 weeks later I get another call from the SC telling me that the Homelink arrived and to setup a date. I laughed and had to tell them it’s already done.

Fred

Reactions: Bednarz42
I haven't noticed any specs printed on the hitch, but the Owner's Manual has this:

"The Model Y towing package does not include a ball mount. You must purchase a ball mount suitable for the type of trailer you are towing. The Model Y hitch receiver supports a ball mount with a length of up to 8.5” (22 cm) and a rise of up to 0.75” (2 cm). Do not use any type of drop ball mount that does not meet these requirements."
Thanks. That is the same rise limit as the Bosal hitch used on the X. Interesting.

Thanks for posting that photo. The hitch is made by this company Fixed Receiver - ACPS Automotive GmbH But a search of their website does not find any mention of the word “Tesla”. Interesting that Tesla decided not to use a Bosal hitch like they do for the Model X.

Are there any specs printed on the hitch, such as maximum allowed ball height above the receiver?

Yes, here's the spec label

IMG_7552.JPG

The crossbars themselves would be the OEM Tesla ones. I would anticipate using a quality brand rack like a Thule or Yakima. Have had good luck with them with my Subarus but they are on the pricier side. I personally would avoid the soft carriers in case things shift, I don’t want anything resting on the roof.

Reactions: NorCal1
Still waiting on additional parts ordered for install of tow hitch. What's funny is that they email you the following:
"Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed"
The twice a week contact is 2 identical emails on Sunday morning back to back at 12:35 a.m..
As far as the needed brake controller pigtail (P1072586-00A), since this is an X part only they will not allow the SA to order for a Y. The part doesn't exist for a Y. So, you must have the pigtail to hook up a brake controller, only Tesla has the right one and they won't provide it. So when Tesla says the Model Y can tow up to 3500lbs, ask them how it can do that without any way to hook up a brake controller.
One possible work around would be to cut off the end of the existing brake controller plug in the left footwell (this is what you would hook the aforementioned pigtail to) and try to figure out the wiring for direct connection to the brake controller without plugs. Crazy to even have to consider this but what choice do we have?

Still waiting on additional parts ordered for install of tow hitch. What's funny is that they email you the following:
"Additional parts have been ordered for servicing your car. We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed"
The twice a week contact is 2 identical emails on Sunday morning back to back at 12:35 a.m..
As far as the needed brake controller pigtail (P1072586-00A), since this is an X part only they will not allow the SA to order for a Y. The part doesn't exist for a Y. So, you must have the pigtail to hook up a brake controller, only Tesla has the right one and they won't provide it. So when Tesla says the Model Y can tow up to 3500lbs, ask them how it can do that without any way to hook up a brake controller.
One possible work around would be to cut off the end of the existing brake controller plug in the left footwell (this is what you would hook the aforementioned pigtail to) and try to figure out the wiring for direct connection to the brake controller without plugs. Crazy to even have to consider this but what choice do we have?

I got this email a couple days ago about the additional parts being ordered. How long have you been waiting on them to come in?

About 10 days but it took 6 weeks from hitch order to mobile service call that had neither the hitch nor the parts. Emails just saying "pending" on the additional parts.
And thx ScotteZ, I copied the 2 pages from the owners manual on brake controller with the fact that the pigtail is included and mailed them (yes, with stamps) to service center. No other easy way to get to SA, 80 miles away and phone normally goes unanswered with voice mailbox full.

Last edited:
I have a MY built 7.8.20, and ordered the tow hitch shortly after taking delivery 7.18.20. The $1200.00 + tax kit arrived in my SC several weeks ago. I was in that SC (Syosset, NY) 48 hours ago, and they made a series of calls on my behalf. They informed me that the part to which the hitch must be bolted is missing from my build, is on back order, and will be unavailable until approximately November. :eek:

About to take delivery of MY on 09/07.. I ordered mine with a tow hitch, am I reading this right that they provide no way to hook up trailer? It doesn't come with a 4 Pin or 7 Pin hook up???

I get mine on the 10th with factory hitch installed. My understanding is that it has the 7 pin connector for the trailer lights and brakes, however the 4-wire pigtail to use for connecting a brake controller isn't included (even though manual says it should).

I did find in the Model X parts catalog that the pigtail appears to be part number 1072586-00-A and is listed as over-the-counter, no VIN required so it should be something that can be ordered by anyone. I'm going to be trying to get that part too.

I get mine on the 10th with factory hitch installed. My understanding is that it has the 7 pin connector for the trailer lights and brakes, however the 4-wire pigtail to use for connecting a brake controller isn't included (even though manual says it should).

I did find in the Model X parts catalog that the pigtail appears to be part number 1072586-00-A and is listed as over-the-counter, no VIN required so it should be something that can be ordered by anyone. I'm going to be trying to get that part too.

1. they have Blue tooth brake controllers now a days.
2. New to Tesla world, where is everyone getting these part numbers from, and where do we order such items. Have not found any place online to order Tesla parts.
3. If it comes with 7 Pin that controls lights and Brakes.. change brake controller to 7 pin??