Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen cover extra for insurance -- worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to renew the comprehensive insurance on my 2022 Tesla 3. As thanks for never making a claim, AAMI has yanked up my premium by 38% from $1,473.28 to $1,997.67 (excess $1500), but I'm getting $2000+ from competing providers so I'll likely stick with the devil I know.

So, my actual question: AAMI offers a Windscreen and Window Glass Cover for ~$100 that claims to cover one repair to "windscreen, window glass or sunroof" per year with no excess and, based on a cursory reading of the PDS, no limits. I usually never get any extras, but given that apparently only Tesla can replace Tesla glass parts and typically charges $2000+ for the job, this seems like a pretty good deal. Then again, I drive <10k/year and most of that in the city, with only the occasional road trip, so I'm not particularly high risk for glass damage. Thoughts?

From experience in Newcastle area having gone through a hail storm that has shattered the windscreen and damaged the roof, I would take the option.

My quote for windscreen from Tesla (assuming I could get the car to them - I can't) was $2067.32 installed for the windscreen alone.

As it transpires, I have to get a windscreen shipped from Tesla to a local repair place ($1480 roughly including shipping) and then have the repair place install it (unknown cost).

That will then let me drive the car to Tesla to have the roof replaced, and then driven to the insurer's repair centre to have th hail dents taken out.

Also - side note, the most competitive insurance I could find was NRMA, if you haven't checked your premium there, it might be worth doing - I usually discount them as they're typically one of the more expensive insurers, but not so in my case.

Before I bought my MYP, I used Turo to make a roadtrip in a local Model 3 of about 4 days between SF and LA.

I was barely behind the wheel for two hours before I got a rock chip. I had to pay the owner for repair, but my takeaway was that giant windscreen is a target for pebbles.

My vote is to get it. In my time driving in AU of about 6 months, I seem to have noticed more rocks on some roads than up here, but that was in the outback :)

Reactions: OzVic and Hairyman