Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some info on the lowered suspension from chatting in the UK

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 12.34.22.png

Reactions: Lindenwood
According to what I have been told (Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY) deliveries into the UK in March have all the 2022 updates, so there is no benefit in waiting until September.

There was some reference over on the German forum to a MI02 option code for 2021 model year cars built with VIN N=2022, but I doubt these will still be around in May/June or later.

View attachment 770756

It makes sense.... On monday i'll be able to see if i can move the delivery to May/June :)

Tesla is constantly improving it's cars, at a much faster pace than traditional OEMs; as such, no matter when you order the car, by the time you take delivery there is ALWAYS something better at the horizon. My suggestion is to take delivery as soon as you can, you won't regret it.

This couldn't be more true. While it's cliche, these cars truly are like cell phones (and other tech).. there's always an updated model with newer & better technology right around the corner...

The MCU3 AMD Ryzen processor, updated DU (3D6 hairpin wound rear stator), Li-Ion low voltage battery, rear double-glazed laminated acoustic glass, heated wipers, different battery back, drivetrain updates to maintain power/acceleration for longer at higher speeds, upgraded brakes, lighter materials, 4680 battery, structural battery pack, front/rear megacastings, dream M3P Plaid... lighter, faster, more powerful, more efficient, more range, faster charging and the list goes on.

At what point are you personally content with settling and knowing that there will always be a better model on the horizon. Luckily with the used car market demand right now, it's pretty easy to upgrade from a financial standpoint.

Reactions: Pre MY2022 M3P
Some info on the lowered suspension from chatting in the UK

View attachment 770774

It's an "optical illusion" until you measure the loaded ride height side-by-side :) The optical illusion does come into play when you're comparing the fender well gap between the wheel and top of the fender, but that doesn't change physical measurements from the body to ground. The part numbers for the suspension are different, but the heights are very similar (at least on current models). Of course, with Tesla this could change at any time..

Reactions: tm1v2 and milesr3
It's an "optical illusion" until you measure the loaded ride height side-by-side :) The optical illusion does come into play when you're comparing the fender well gap between the wheel and top of the fender, but that doesn't change physical measurements from the body to ground. The part numbers for the suspension are different, but the heights are very similar (at least on current models). Of course, with Tesla this could change at any time..
Yeah the tape measure does not lie, and I plan to measure upon delivery to see if I got the lowered suspension on my bill. The ride height should only differ by half the diameter difference of the tires approximately if the same suspension is used. Air pressure and vehicle weight (performance weight 14lbs more than the Long range) also impacts this. If you see only a couple millimetres of difference between the performance and long range, then Tesla is not providing lowered suspension.

18” AeroWheels (235/45R18) = 26.34” [669mm] diameter
19” SportWheels (235/40R19) = 26.42” [671mm] diameter
20” Uberturbines (235/35R20) = 26.50” [673mm] diameter

Reactions: EVolv3d and milesr3
Yeah the tape measure does not lie, and I plan to measure upon delivery to see if I got the lowered suspension on my bill. The ride height should only differ by half the diameter difference of the tires approximately if the same suspension is used. Air pressure and vehicle weight (performance weight 14lbs more than the Long range) also impacts this. If you see only a couple millimetres of difference between the performance and long range, then Tesla is not providing lowered suspension.

18” AeroWheels (235/45R18) = 26.34” [669mm] diameter
19” SportWheels (235/40R19) = 26.42” [671mm] diameter
20” Uberturbines (235/35R20) = 26.50” [673mm] diameter
Exactly. Unfortunately, my ‘22 M3P measures 0-4mm HIGHER than most LR measurements that I’ve seen. Of course this is easily within the margin of error considering all of the variables, but it’s definitely not the 5-10mm lower that Tesla had claimed in the past.

With that said l, I don’t personally care that the car isn’t lower as that wasn’t why I bought the performance. While I would like for there to be less wheel gap, the ground clearance is already pretty low (~5.2”) and I wouldn’t want to sacrifice much more. Otherwise we would have to worry about scraping/bottoming out more often. We already have plenty to worry about to prevent damaging the wheels and/or puncturing the tires. We’ve had two sidewall blowouts on the Pirellis within 3 months of owning the car.

The M3P suspension isn’t special in terms of ride height, quality or performance. I’ll likely upgrade to Ohlins in the future for better performance and ride quality.

Reactions: Sporty and Aither
With that said l, I don’t personally care that the car isn’t lower as that wasn’t why I bought the performance. While I would like for there to be less wheel gap, the ground clearance is already pretty low (~5.2”) and I wouldn’t want to sacrifice much more.

The only way to really reduce the wheel gap is to either increase the tire size reduce the right height. It sounds to me like you would benefit from doing a combination of both.

I've been following this post almost everyday, since i was about to pull the trigger on a M3P (Blue & White)

At this moment i placed an order with a rental company for a 4 year contract (it's a company car and here in italy it's pretty common) i've 2 options: Take delivery of the car around may/june
wait and take delivery in august/september

What do you guys suggests? To have the most "updated" car, should i wait till september or i can take the june delivery since the new updates are coming relatively soon?

:)
What's updated today...won't be tomorrow. I vote take the car and enjoy. In three years, 50% (scientific percentage of course) of that car's tech will be obsolete :)

If true what is the advantage of the Panasonic 3L? Sorry not up on this change.
The 3L battery is not a change for 2022, having already been used in the 2021 M3P.

Advantages I guess are that it is a known quantity with high peak power, fast charging rate and it’s the largest capacity offered in the M3.

The change for 2022 is the inclusion of the LG 5L battery. This would have been my preference but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it if Tesla are sticking with the 3L for whatever reason.

The 3L battery is not a change for 2022, having already been used in the 2021 M3P.

Advantages I guess are that it is a known quantity with high peak power, fast charging rate and it’s the largest capacity offered in the M3.

The change for 2022 is the inclusion of the LG 5L battery. This would have been my preference but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it if Tesla are sticking with the 3L for whatever reason.

Like @Young Phenom i'm not yet in the lingo and tech specs... What are the advantages of the LG 5L battery? :)

Reactions: Young Phenom
What are the advantages of the LG 5L battery? :)
It has higher voltage at lower states of charge (SoC) and potentially more power at low temperature. Essentially it could provide more consistent (linear) performance across a wider range of SoC and temperature in cooler climates. This used to be a problem with the 3L before 2021.4.11 but not so much now, so the difference might be marginal. Anecdotally the LG batteries are more punchy when cold. The M50 cells are rated for max continuous current from 10c to 25c.

It is however unknown if it can produce the peak power that the 3L does in ideal conditions. When the M3P adopted the 3L in 2021, the 0-60 improved by 0.1s. The LG 5L is now used in the LR and has Acceleration Boost available, so it must be able to deliver at least 366kW. See Anyone regretted getting a Performance M3?

The 5L has been certified in the M3P though (E5LD#Zp###) so the continued assembly with the 3L in Shanghai is most likely down to availability / economics. Unless anyone knows better? I believe that the Panasonic cells are manufactured in Nevada and shipped to Shanghai, so economically it must make sense for Tesla to use LG cells for made in China vehicles. The made in US M3P will continue to use the 3L.

Last edited: