Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model3 FSD or autopilot for 300 miles commute one way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you just want smart cruise control that also steers then AP is the thing. If you want it to do the rest of the driving then NOA/EAP is the game. For our highways here in Montana it drives me back and forth without error or intervention. Other routes, you may feel the need to intervene more.

Reactions: XPsionic
I commute four hours a day and Autopilot makes it bearable, so I continue to make the drive. But no amount of (current) car automation is going to replace the time you lose commuting. Driving up and back once and staying there during the week is your only viable option IMO. Of course, a full recharge will be required everyday.

I’ve made the drive through Binghamton up to Potsdam several times, and the winters will slow your commute significantly over so long a distance.

Reactions: XPsionic
DIdn't read all the posts, but I find the Tesla on AP to be the easiest long-distance driver. In my ICE, a 600mile day was a big day, 10hrs, exhausting. In my Model 3, I drove from Maine to Colorado in 3 days, 2200+miles, really quite easy. 200 miles on the highway 2x a week, no big deal.

DIdn't read all the posts, but I find the Tesla on AP to be the easiest long-distance driver. In my ICE, a 600mile day was a big day, 10hrs, exhausting. In my Model 3, I drove from Maine to Colorado in 3 days, 2200+miles, really quite easy. 200 miles on the highway 2x a week, no big deal.
As an aside, I rented a 2023 Honda CRV for several days recently, and even in this stripper LX model it had adaptive cruise and lane keeping assist. I was surprised how well that replicated the auto pilot functionality, and even did it one better: when you would engage the turn signal to change lanes on the highway, it would automatically pick up the lines for the new lane and there was no need to re-engage the autopilot with all of its incessant bonging.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic and KenC
As an aside, I rented a 2023 Honda CRV for several days recently, and even in this stripper LX model it had adaptive cruise and lane keeping assist. I was surprised how well that replicated the auto pilot functionality, and even did it one better: when you would engage the turn signal to change lanes on the highway, it would automatically pick up the lines for the new lane and there was no need to re-engage the autopilot with all of its incessant bonging.
Good to know. I've always explained to people sitting in my car that AP is basically adaptive cruise and a rocksolid lane-keeping assist; since not all lane-keeping options are similar. I had a Chevy Volt and its lane-keeping just ping-ponged me back and forth between the lane lines.

My brother has a hybrid Honda CRV, couple years old, and I know it has adaptive cruise. I hope it also has that LKA, as my brother needs it! He's not a good driver and he's in LA. I laugh at him because he's a surgeon driving a Honda. Can't be too many of those. I told him he should be driving a Tesla. He's agreed to buy mine after I get my CT.

Reactions: dn325ci
I know you want a Tesla, but buy a Certified Lexus. Unlimited mileage warranty and you can extend it out for an additional 5 years (11 total from the first in service date) for about $2500. At least then all you have to worry about is upkeep items.