Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model3 FSD or autopilot for 300 miles commute one way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a good point, so, there is a risk of some relationship. I'm not very young, already close to 40, maybe less risk.
That "maybe" is a pretty big unknown to roll the dice with the primary human relationship in your life, in my risk-taking opinion. If you're a high EQ person, you can pull this off for awhile, but if I were in your shoes I'd be finding a way out.

Thank you for all the replies. I just talked to the hiring manager, he agrees that I can drive to Binghamton on Monday (arrive around noon), and rent a room in Binghamton, stay till Thursday noon, and drive back to canada to do the remote work on Friday.

So basically,

Monday morning: Drive from Kingston to Binghamton 200 miles.
Tuesday: stay in Binghamton
Wednesday: Stay in Binghamton,
Thursday afternoon: drive back to canada
Friday: remote work in Canada
Saturday: in candada
Sunday: in canada

So, basically, two drives each week. Each drive 200 miles. 4 days in Binghamton, 3 days in Canada.

Is this sustainable? any comments?
This is much better than driving a long way every day, you reminded me of a colleague back in the 90s who drove from Oklahoma to Irving, Texas every day, each way is around 3 hrs, starting at 4 am and returning around 3-4 pm, I thought he is joking but it's real, that's not much life left in weekdays and the dreaded weekend is over on Sunday afternoon. Everyone's situation is different, but I wouldn't just think about transportation issues but also about family and friends.

Reactions: XPsionic
I think i will buy a telepresence robot at home, so i can "move" around and talk to my family everyday when i'm away, like something below. They are only a few thousand dollar, not a big deal. I try to use technology to solve some problems.

Ohmni-Pro-Telepresence-Robot-In-person-meetings-1.png

"I used to do 375 miles on Monday, back on Thursday for a year. " How did you feel in that one year? Too much drive? tired? or it's ok? do you think it's sustainable for 20 more years? I may end up at the new job till retirement,
I don't think any job in this day and age will last 20 years. I spent a lot of my life as a consultant so I was traveling 4-5 days a week, often flying out on Monday back on Thursday. I actually liked when I was able to drive rather than fly.

Sometimes (actually often) flying took longer than my 370 mile drive. I got into a groove and it was pretty easy for me. I don't think I could have done it for 20 years, but easily 5. When I was doing 1100 miles each way, that started to wear on me.

I would drive up to the house I was moving from. Spend the weekend loading up the truck. Drive 1100 miles back to my work location. Then the 370+ miles to my new house. Then drive back on Monday to work. Then on Thursday drive 1100 miles to the old house. On Sunday night, leave and drive back to work. Then work to the new house. I did this for 6 months without a break.

That is what wore me down the most. Towing a 20' foot trailer behind the truck through mountains really added to the stress. When I was just back to my "normal" commute it seemed laughably easy.

Don't waste the money on a Tesla to do this unless it will really make your life easier. You will just run the wheels off the car. Buy a Prius like I suggested as much more reliable long term. I had one of those I commuted between LA and San Fran every week for a long time. Super reliable and cheap to run per mile.

Thank you for all the replies. I just talked to the hiring manager, he agrees that I can drive to Binghamton on Monday (arrive around noon), and rent a room in Binghamton, stay till Thursday noon, and drive back to canada to do the remote work on Friday.

So basically,

So, basically, two drives each week. Each drive 200 miles. 4 days in Binghamton, 3 days in Canada.

If you want to drive an ev, make sure you have some kind of dedicated charging at work or at the place you rent. Model 3 long range would be a better choice than rwd, the lfp battery might supercharger slower in the winter months if the pack is cold soaked.

The driving will mostly be a non factor, might take longer on the snowy and cold days. Very much doable. I used to work in a review place that was just as far, doing a similar drive every week or so in a wintery climate.

In terms of your personal life, that's up to you to decide and handle.

If you want to drive an ev, make sure you have some kind of dedicated charging at work or at the place you rent. Model 3 long range would be a better choice than rwd, the lfp battery might supercharger slower in the winter months if the pack is cold soaked.

The driving will mostly be a non factor, might take longer on the snowy and cold days. Very much doable. I used to work in a review place that was just as far, doing a similar drive every week or so in a wintery climate.

In terms of your personal life, that's up to you to decide and handle.

you did similar drive for how long? a few years? or very short?

So basically,

My comment is (since you asked) "Why are you focused on a tesla for this drive, when you dont have one yet?" A Tesla is not going to make this drive better, so what is the aversion to doing it with the car you currently have when you agreed to take this job?

Also, we have a robot at my job very similar to the picture you shared (probably the same one in fact). It works but its pretty much a gimmick, a lot like other tech gimmicks.

EDIT... I just looked at our camera robots, and its definitely the same model as in your screenshot. We basically dont use them, after buying them during covid to facilitate remote people attending meetings.

Last edited:
you did similar drive for how long? a few years? or very short?
about a year, it was just over 350km one way drive.

I suggest you see a marriage counselor and/or have a frank talk about this with you SO to figure out the best thing to do. Everyone's expectations and tolerances are different, and this is a Tesla forum...

All I can say is, I drive a Tesla with Autopilot, the drive you described would be pretty easy to do once a week, but I wouldn't take a job with a commute and a stay away from home like that unless the pay is worth my while. Personally that means it'll have to pay at least around $80000 usd MORE than what I already make a year before I'd even consider it, since my time, the car's wear and depreciation aren't free.

Reactions: cbdream99
I commute to one of our rural hospitals here in Montana, 150 interstate miles one way, once a week for the last 6 years. I stay 2-4 days/nights in a local rental. So far my family has survived. For the last 4 years, I have made this drive with my Tesla Model 3 Performance. I have FSDb/NOA which I have used on this drive for 60k miles. The NOA, navigate on autopilot (sometimes called enhanced autopilot, EAP) makes all the difference. I would not want to do this drive without that aid. Anyone who says otherwise just simply doesn't know. The M3P drives itself to and fro. I did have to retrain my driving brain on how to supervise safely and stay alert. I found I can be even more attentive/alert when not having to fiddle with the trivial manual parts of driving. The NOA/EAP is the snake's hips. EAP can be purchased without FSD, which I also have but what you use on the highway is the NOA/EAP. I am not sure, however, how that splits with the current V11 software.

For that commute, in the winter, you may need to briefly charge along the way, a 10-15 minute stop. Check the superchargers on that route. I do fine with the 150 miles on a full charge, at 85 mph, but at neg 15 degrees F, with wind and/or snow, hills/other, I have to slow down a bit. But I have a 2019 M3 Performance, an original rating of 310 miles. The new M3 LR AWD at 358 miles should do better. The Performance is fast but not as efficient. Of course, just now you can't order the M3 long range awd, so there's that........

Last edited:
I should add that plain AP, autopilot, is not even close to the same as NOA/EAP. People who say otherwise have just never experienced the difference.
I have tried both extensively, taken a Model S with EAP and Model 3 with just AP on long trips. EAP can be effective depending on the traffic flow of the roads you drive on and how aggressive other drivers are. Personally I don't like how much attention I have to pay to monitor the car while it does something that I could do better and faster (and on long trips without that much traffic, not very often). With fewer cars, and fewer speeding cars that passes you left right and center, EAP can be helpful.

I wouldn't get it for myself, to me the price vs feature and ability it has is not worth my money, but that's just me and where I drive. I see @PACEMD is in Montana, and I can totally understand why they think EAP works well, because it can in certain driving conditions.

Reactions: GSP and PACEMD
I wouldn't get it for myself, to me the price vs feature and ability it has is not worth my money, but that's just me and where I drive. I see @PACEMD is in Montana, and I can totally understand why they think EAP works well, because it can in certain driving conditions.
Well said, just me and where I drive says it all about Tesla software. Thanks for adding that. I would not feel the same using NOA on the LA or Cross Bronx Freeways.........both of which I know well.........

I should add that plain AP, autopilot, is not even close to the same as NOA/EAP. People who say otherwise have just never experienced the difference.
I have FSD but mainly just use plain AP on the highway. I don’t like to slowly pass a vehicle, especially a large vehicle. So I take over and get around them fairly quick. I personally think basic AP is fine. And EAP is okay but there again I typically just like to manually take the interchanges.

I have FSD but mainly just use plain AP on the highway. I don’t like to slowly pass a vehicle, especially a large vehicle. So I take over and get around them fairly quick. I personally think basic AP is fine. And EAP is okay but there again I typically just like to manually take the interchanges.
Everyone has their own styles and preferences but the current NOA/EPA passes about as efficiently/quickly/safely as I do. And as an ex-NYC taxi driver, I am fairly aggressive. If it ever doesn't pass or return to lane as I prefer I just have to use the turn signal/blinker to encourage it. But I should add it is much better now than in past and that learning the game is all the honey in the pot.......