Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Models 3 & Y Gen 4 ECU (necessary for CCS Capability)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received message from Tesla service center. "The CCS adapter is set to support Europe. Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to anything". I think they don't have knowlege about that. I think I need to instal by myself.

Sorry, but not really surprising. From what I read, Tesla service centers would be easily able to upgrade cars like yours. But they won't do it,...yet. At least not until the CCS1 adapter is officially released in North America. So you have a decision to make--get an ECU now and install it yourself, or wait for Tesla.

TMC has tons of information about this, so check out all the posts and review things carefully before you decide to order and install a new ECU.

Best of luck.

Reactions: buckets0fun
My car was shipped in July 2021, so it probably falls under option 2. Then, if I retrofit ECU Gen4 myself, wouldn't it be limited by maintenance from Tesla in the future?

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that Tesla service could refuse to work on your car because you did DIY stuff, or that Tesla could blame future problems (if any) on you and refuse service under warranty?

If so, others have commented on this issue elsewhere (e.g., after people like me installed power frunk-hood devices). What I read is that Tesla (and other manufacturers) are not allowed to deny service under warranty unless they can prove that DIY work or aftermarket parts definitely caused an alleged problem. The burden would be on Tesla, I guess? Nonetheless, research this by investigating TMC posts (or Googling the issue). For example, check out the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to update that the SC in Kennesaw, GA has agreed to order the part and replace it for me on my Sept 21 MYP, as long as I agree that “we make no guarantees that the CCS charging will work, as there is no official documentation for retrofitting any US Model Ys for CCS charging.” Part was $140, labor was $40. Part on invoice is “ASY. CHARGE PORT 1.00 CONTROLLER GEN 4, NA(1537264-00-B)”

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to update that the SC in Kennesaw, GA has agreed to order the part and replace it for me on my Sept 21 MYP, as long as I agree that “we make no guarantees that the CCS charging will work, as there is no official documentation for retrofitting any US Model Ys for CCS charging.” Part was $140, labor was $40. Part on invoice is “ASY. CHARGE PORT 1.00 CONTROLLER GEN 4, NA(1537264-00-B)”
They also need to update the firmware. Mine updated the firmware at no charge under warranty... something like a seatbelt chime firmware update.

Any updates on when we can buy the adapters? They totally stopped selling them the week that I finally got my ECU board upgraded :/

Oh, too bad. But getting that upgrade is probably a good thing. You’ll be able to make use of it eventually, and be ahead of the game when the CCS1 adapter is finally released in North America. Or you can get one of the Chinese adapters. (Not sure if they require the ECU upgrade?) However, my advice is always to use a genuine Tesla adapter for charging our precious (expensive) cars.

Also, keep an eye out online for Tesla adapters in the $350-$400 range. Hard to find, but occasionally… I saw three like that in July. But admittedly more challenging now. Use Craig’s List.

Guys I hate to be off topic but does any one know or can help with this… I did a software redeploy while the loop was open (did not realize) and everything crashed of course. Two second after I found millions of MIA mainly BMS, charge port and others. I can’t reinstall the software now because of the mismatch between different module. Is there a way to rest everything? Thanks in advance.

Guys I hate to be off topic but does any one know or can help with this… I did a software redeploy while the loop was open (did not realize) and everything crashed of course. Two second after I found millions of MIA mainly BMS, charge port and others. I can’t reinstall the software now because of the mismatch between different module. Is there a way to rest everything? Thanks in advance.
You can re-flash the system via service mode. I would do some research before you do this brute force "fix"

thanks for the reply. I did try that part but no luck with it, it does fail all the time... I guess because when I tried the first time half of the module/ECU where disconnected. Does Anyone knows with tool box 3 how to update module by module or ECU by ECU? thanks