Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moose Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would comparing the two make no sense? Certainly, an Audi Q5 is smaller than a model X. Unfortunately, the road driven won't make itself wider if it sees an X approaching ;-).

Km77 has done a lot of standardized moose test, the test are all on YouTube (search "maniobra de esquiva (moose test)"). 70 km/h just isn't an impressive result. Even the Mitsubishi l200 got a slightly better result.

Just to make things clear: as a model X owner I'm not to happy with the results, but I can't dismiss them.

The Q5 did quite well, I wonder how a Q7 would fare in this test?

As you said, crash tests are done by crashing a car at a standardised speed against a standardised wall, poll, etc.

The moose test is not different: standardised conditions are used to test how well a car can dodge an imaginary object (a moose, an animal one may encounter in Scandinavian countries) on its road and is able to regain its previous path.

As I said before, a road with a moose on it does not take into consideration whether a large or a small car drives on it, just like a tree you crash into does not care whether you car is small or big.

Of course, smaller cars on the average will perform the moose test better, allthough this certainly is not an golden rule (we all remember the poor performance of the Mercedes A class).

The only valid part of this test is to show a car is stable enough to initiate an evasive maneuver without losing control. Whether or not it hits a cone set at a standard distance for all cars is a useless stat. The model x is bigger and heavier than a Q5. The laws of physics can't be broken. As long as the vehicle can swerve hard to the left and back to the right without spinning out, going on 2 wheels, or rolling over it is a 100% successful test. Just because the Model X can't stay within the cones as a lighter and smaller vehicle can doesn't mean jack. If a Chevy Suburban performed the test (without rolling over, spinning out, losing control, or going on 2 wheels) I would also consider it a success even if it took out twenty cones.

Why? Cause you should curtail your driving habits based on the vehicle you are driving. You don't approach a turn at the same speed when going from a Lambo to a tractor trailer. You don't brake the same when going from a McClaren to a city bus. The only expectation is that the vehicle remains stable when driven to it's reasonable limits. If you yank the wheel hard left to the stops at 100mph you are going to lose control or flip over no matter what you are driving.

Reactions: EV-lutioin