Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More adventures in our SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi again.
Long post this, but may interest those who like to get away.
Some of you may have seen my previous post on a trip from the Northern Beachers of Sydney to Tasmania via the Spirit of Tasmania.
This trip started on 9th June 21 and we are still not back in Sydney. Covid refugees.
Drove from Melbourne, after the Tasmanian adventure, to our daughter's place in Canberra for 2 weeks. Stay away from Sydney at the moment if possible.
"How about we go to Husskison for a week" says SWMBO. OK off we go to a place with 2 Tesla destination chargers. Only one worked, never mind.
Back to Canberra via Batemans Bay. Topped up at Dan Murphy's for free.
Another week in Canberra then off to Orange. Things now start to get interesting.
It was cold and I didn't realise how hilly and windy the drive would be.
Some background here. I can drive back from Canberra to home, NB Sydney, and have about 40k left on a single charge. SR+ remember. So 350kms. Flat, straight road, almost downhill all the way.
Booked a place in Orange with 3 Tesla destination chargers. Arrived with 8km left. Yep 8 kilometres. A distance of 280 km.
So, I should have topped up at the NRMA charger in Crowra. I will be a bit more careful in the future especially if it is cold and it's a hilly, windy road.
Off to Parkes for the day, to check out the CSIRO radio telescope, the Dish.
After a tea/coffee stop at Parkes noticed a click click click from the front drivers tyre. Yep, a screw in the tyre.
Lucky to still be in Parkes. Back to the Tyrepower place. They had never worked on a Tesla.
Pulled the aero cap off for them, they didn't want to break it, and gave them one of the liffing pads I had purchased.
Off with the wheel and, oh my, what is this foam inside the tyre, never seen this before. Better speak to Michelin about any repair.
While we waited for Michelin I rang Tesla. The Tesla person spoke to the repairer and told them what to do. At the same time instuctions came via email from Michelin as well. They were both the same instructions.
The guy that fixed the tyre wanted to take a few pictures of the Tesla so he could show his mates that he, had in fact, worked on a Tesla.
Very nice people. Cost me $35.
So the lesson for me is, beware of the cold, it really does reduce your range. If you can, top up to give yourself some margin for error.
I have learned my lesson. I did top up in Parkes, NRMA, even though I thought I could make it from Orange to Parkes and back.
Will have to think about some sort of way to cope with a flat if I am away from a tyre repairer. Any ideas?
Cheers
Greg

Hi again.
Long post this, but may interest those who like to get away.
Some of you may have seen my previous post on a trip from the Northern Beachers of Sydney to Tasmania via the Spirit of Tasmania.
This trip started on 9th June 21 and we are still not back in Sydney. Covid refugees.
Drove from Melbourne, after the Tasmanian adventure, to our daughter's place in Canberra for 2 weeks. Stay away from Sydney at the moment if possible.
"How about we go to Husskison for a week" says SWMBO. OK off we go to a place with 2 Tesla destination chargers. Only one worked, never mind.
Back to Canberra via Batemans Bay. Topped up at Dan Murphy's for free.
Another week in Canberra then off to Orange. Things now start to get interesting.
It was cold and I didn't realise how hilly and windy the drive would be.
Some background here. I can drive back from Canberra to home, NB Sydney, and have about 40k left on a single charge. SR+ remember. So 350kms. Flat, straight road, almost downhill all the way.
Booked a place in Orange with 3 Tesla destination chargers. Arrived with 8km left. Yep 8 kilometres. A distance of 280 km.
So, I should have topped up at the NRMA charger in Crowra. I will be a bit more careful in the future especially if it is cold and it's a hilly, windy road.
Off to Parkes for the day, to check out the CSIRO radio telescope, the Dish.
After a tea/coffee stop at Parkes noticed a click click click from the front drivers tyre. Yep, a screw in the tyre.
Lucky to still be in Parkes. Back to the Tyrepower place. They had never worked on a Tesla.
Pulled the aero cap off for them, they didn't want to break it, and gave them one of the liffing pads I had purchased.
Off with the wheel and, oh my, what is this foam inside the tyre, never seen this before. Better speak to Michelin about any repair.
While we waited for Michelin I rang Tesla. The Tesla person spoke to the repairer and told them what to do. At the same time instuctions came via email from Michelin as well. They were both the same instructions.
The guy that fixed the tyre wanted to take a few pictures of the Tesla so he could show his mates that he, had in fact, worked on a Tesla.
Very nice people. Cost me $35.
So the lesson for me is, beware of the cold, it really does reduce your range. If you can, top up to give yourself some margin for error.
I have learned my lesson. I did top up in Parkes, NRMA, even though I thought I could make it from Orange to Parkes and back.
Will have to think about some sort of way to cope with a flat if I am away from a tyre repairer. Any ideas?
Cheers
Greg
Tesla have a small compressor and goo kit for sorting out punctures on the road…or at least they used to. Probably available in other brands too.

Cold and rain definitely impact range in any vehicle.

I've got a 12V USB pump for my tire which should work in most slow leak situations.

The good, while easy to use can reportedly render a tyre irreparable.

From a few other posts I've read the foam doesn't make much of a difference.

Interesting post!
I lashed out and bought a spare wheel/tyre/jack combo from a US company (Modern Spare?) On the S you have to have a spacer for the rear wheels and that came as well.
A few days later (!) I had a slow puncture at home so used the spare - and the lifting pads - to take the wheel off and drove it to Jax 65Km away - they put a repair in after asking me if I was happy for them to strip out the acoustic lining. Which I was since I can't notice any difference in the noise level. $45.
I keep the spare in the boot for peace of mind out in the regions: if I need the boot (Bunnings....) I put it behind one of the seats, no problem. People suck in breath about having a spare flying around in a crash: probably true but no different from a few full suitcases.

Reactions: Hovean
some sort of way to cope with a flat if I am away from a tyre repairer. Any ideas?
A plug kit from BigW/SuperCheap/eBay or similar and a 12V compressor should suffice, along with something to pull out the foreign object of course.

Also consider the CARGOL plastic plugs for a more compact situation. Great on Motorcycles. Screw in and snap off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman