Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

more on rattles in rear door area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have watched several DIY videos on YouTube on how to remove door panel and wrap all possible sources of "rattling". I have not mustered the courage to tear my car apart yet. Has anyone resorted to this? My SC is 2.5 hrs away and I don't want to be without my car. I also suspect I may be as competent as their crew...Anyone resorted to this measure?

My rattle sound completely like it was coming from the rear right door, even if you sat in the rear seat. Tech listened for 5 seconds and indicated it was the rear seat back. Didn't seem possible but they replaced the seat back and the rattle is gone.

Seems to be a common issue after 500 miles or so with the rear seat. To confirm it's the seat, fold it down. I bet the rattle will disappear. Some suggest adding electrical tape around the metal U bolt used to latch the seat. I stuffed some white high-density polyurethane foam (from something shipped to me) in the U bolt to fix it. If the car ever goes in for service, I'll see if they have a fix, but not worth the hassle for me (even though service is 10 minutes away).

FWIW, on my 2021 Refreshed S (Long range), I had a similar rattle but it turned out to come from two places. The loudest rattle came from the carpeted panel on the hatch itself, located below the hatch center speaker grill. It had come loose and rattled. Seems it has metal clips and if they don't engage fully, the panel will come loose. Second rattle came from the hidden latch release cable, located on the underside on the driver's side, side panel above the left trunk light. If you stand at the rear of the car, with the hatch open, and look to the left, you'll see a trunk light. On the carpeted panel above that is a small cutout and inside is an "eye" connected to a release cable. The hold down bracket on mine wasn't tightened properly. Hope this helps

I hear you...I taped the bracket, didn't work...put both rear seats down...no go. My wife rode in the back and feels that the noise is coming from inside of rear door upper front aspect of door near hinge. I saw another post on TMC from a guy with a 3 with same location. Never figured out what his solution was.

FWIW, on my 2021 Refreshed S (Long range), I had a similar rattle but it turned out to come from two places. The loudest rattle came from the carpeted panel on the hatch itself, located below the hatch center speaker grill. It had come loose and rattled. Seems it has metal clips and if they don't engage fully, the panel will come loose. Second rattle came from the hidden latch release cable, located on the underside on the driver's side, side panel above the left trunk light. If you stand at the rear of the car, with the hatch open, and look to the left, you'll see a trunk light. On the carpeted panel above that is a small cutout and inside is an "eye" connected to a release cable. The hold down bracket on mine wasn't tightened properly. Hope this helps
Could you post pictures of what you are referring to?

I've tried taping the u-hooks, put the seats down, taped the two latches that allow you to lift/remove the rear seat bottoms up, all no luck.