Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door / Window Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just want to preface this by saying that my experience with my current 2022 MYP has been difficult due to constant rattles and vibration issues. My previous MYLR 2021 build did not have these many issues so I had a reference.

After over 5 service / mobile visits the problem was never solved.

On my most recent mobile service( tweeter wasn’t clipped in properly was causing one of the vibrations ) the tech walked me through how to take the door panel off and it was pretty straight forward.

DIY - I was able to open each door panel and wow it’s all plastic, clips are jiggling around , some have washer but others don’t. I taped each clip so they don’t move, used some felt tape around the wires that I would tap around to see if it was hitting the side and blue taped everything.

The vehicles really are poorly built at least this one, a lot of clips were not properly seated which explains a lot of the rattles.

As far as the window vibration, I bought some krytox lubrication to put around the rubber seals and this helped tremendously with a vibration sound I had when the window was closed.

If you have a similar experience where the Tesla techs can’t fix just go for it yourself and save the time it’s really not difficult to do at all. The rattles really hampered the enjoyment of the vehicle. Good luck and don’t rush

Useful to watch

Last edited:
Did the tech comment that your car was unusual, with all the loose clips and wires? Did they actually secure some of the clips in the area that they supposedly fixed, or were ALL the doors similarly void of clips/wires being secured?

Door rattles seem to be hit-or-miss. I have zero rattles of any kind, now at 45k miles.

You bought a new car under warranty, right? I would make them continually fix the rattles and vibrations until they got it right. I would not accept the offer to show me how to remove the panel and service my car myself because that's why I paid new car pricing and am absorbing new car depreciation is to have everything work properly or have them fix it until it does.

You bought a new car under warranty, right? I would make them continually fix the rattles and vibrations until they got it right. I would not accept the offer to show me how to remove the panel and service my car myself because that's why I paid new car pricing and am absorbing new car depreciation is to have everything work properly or have them fix it until it does.
If it only were that simple dealing with Tesla service, or any automaker service for that matter. Heck, last week Tesla almost tried making me pay for an alignment on our new 2023 Y that was misaligned from the factory and veered off to the left immediately upon taking delivery. But they were insinuating that I caused the misalignment, somehow making both of the front wheels to angle outwards 😂. Luckily they didn't charge me and aligned it and it's good to go now.

Morale of the story is I've rarely had interactions with any automaker service, whether it be Tesla, Chevrolet, BMW, or Volkswagen, where they easily and willingly agreed to repair something, under warranty or not, especially a rattle/squeak which they now even include as a disclaimer in their service appointments which specify there will be a charge for diagnosing and potentially fixing such things. 🤷‍♂️

If it only were that simple dealing with Tesla service, or any automaker service for that matter. Heck, last week Tesla almost tried making me pay for an alignment on our new 2023 Y that was misaligned from the factory and veered off to the left immediately upon taking delivery. But they were insinuating that I caused the misalignment, somehow making both of the front wheels to angle outwards 😂. Luckily they didn't charge me and aligned it and it's good to go now.

Morale of the story is I've rarely had interactions with any automaker service, whether it be Tesla, Chevrolet, BMW, or Volkswagen, where they easily and willingly agreed to repair something, under warranty or not, especially a rattle/squeak which they now even include as a disclaimer in their service appointments which specify there will be a charge for diagnosing and potentially fixing such things. 🤷‍♂️
Doesn't matter. You paid for a warranty. That's what warranties are for. If you choose to tuck your tail and slink away when they make up some excuse, that's on you. Me, if I'm buying a new car that will fix it until it's fixed. That was the contractual agreement when you bought a new car. No questions about it. Make them fix it.

Doesn't matter. You paid for a warranty. That's what warranties are for. If you choose to tuck your tail and slink away when they make up some excuse, that's on you. Me, if I'm buying a new car that will fix it until it's fixed. That was the contractual agreement when you bought a new car. No questions about it. Make them fix it.
For sure, everyone should put as much effort into it as they like. I'm just commenting that it's never easy nor straight forward to have many repairs covered and handled under warranty without a large amount of back and forth, arguing, etc. I've been through the ringer many times over a variety of issues across multiple automaker brands, including Tesla. Most of us have. It comes down to how much time and effort you want to invest into it.

Reactions: ICE5891

For sure, everyone should put as much effort into it as they like. I'm just commenting that it's never easy nor straight forward to have many repairs covered and handled under warranty without a large amount of back and forth, arguing, etc. I've been through the ringer many times over a variety of issues across multiple automaker brands, including Tesla. Most of us have. It comes down to how much time and effort you want to invest into it.

You're both absolutely correct. The push-back on any warranty claim is classic in most businesses, as it is with insurance claims. Businesses will prey on those that don't push-back in kind.

For peace of mine, it's nice to strike a balance of the time/effort involved. Trim/rattle issues are sometimes hard to diagnose, and sometimes even harder to correct. I'd rather correct them myself.

Hamtaro7: Thanks for the link to the video on door panel removal. Easy. When/if I develop a rattle in a door, I'll gladly take 30 minutes to fix the issue, rather than wasting my time driving to the SC, leaving the car, waiting, etc. etc.

As usual, "YMMV."

Last edited:
I did similar few weeks ago. One thing I recommend is to put a felt tape all along the edges of the plastic panel. On mine the rattle was coming from there on the lower part of the panel.

Some pictures.

IMG_6091.jpeg

IMG_6092.jpeg
IMG_6093.jpeg

IMG_6097.jpeg
IMG_6100.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

I did similar few weeks ago. One thing I recommend is to put a felt tape all along the edges of the plastic panel. On mine the rattle was coming from there on the lower part of the panel.

Some pictures.

View attachment 947585
View attachment 947586View attachment 947587
View attachment 947589View attachment 947590
View attachment 947591
this is very good, thanks for the photos. As you said just jiggle everything because its crazy how many things are not secured tightly so its really a detective game going into it. Just have plenty of tape and patience ready.

Anyway to fix window glass rattle?
2023 MY LR. Built in Fremont
Window glass on both passenger side rattle. When I knock on glass I can hear lose both or screw sounds. I hear them when I drive on rough road.
They said they changed motors blah blah. It's slightly better than original sounds but still there. When window is all up, glass is loose compared to front glass. And front doesn't rattle.
I do think because of this there is more road/air noise coming in.

Reactions: wakkigy
You're both absolutely correct. The push-back on any warranty claim is classic in most businesses, as it is with insurance claims. Businesses will prey on those that don't push-back in kind.

The problem is, warranty guarantees to fix things to manufacturer spec. Tesla's own admission to the poor engineering/design of Model 3/Model Y interior trim means, "This is the level of quality we produce", so there is no warranty to pursue unfortunately: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Gotta love the "High-Pitched Whining Noise while Accelerating" one. Sounds like the sound effects from The Matrix.

So I just want to preface this by saying that my experience with my current 2022 MYP has been difficult due to constant rattles and vibration issues. My previous MYLR 2021 build did not have these many issues so I had a reference.

On my most recent mobile service( tweeter wasn’t clipped in properly was causing one of the vibrations ) the tech walked me through how to take the door panel off and it was pretty straight forward.

DIY - I was able to open each door panel and wow it’s all plastic, clips are jiggling around , some have washer but others don’t. I taped each clip so they don’t move, used some felt tape around the wires that I would tap around to see if it was hitting the side and blue taped everything.

The vehicles really are poorly built at least this one, a lot of clips were not properly seated which explains a lot of the rattles.

As far as the window vibration, I bought some krytox lubrication to put around the rubber seals and this helped tremendously with a vibration sound I had when the window was closed.

If you have a similar experience where the Tesla techs can’t fix just go for it yourself and save the time it’s really not difficult to do at all. The rattles really hampered the enjoyment of the vehicle. Good luck and don’t rush

Useful to watch
"As far as the window vibration, I bought some krytox lubrication to put around the rubber seals and this helped tremendously with a vibration sound I had when the window was closed."

What rubber seals are you talking about? I'm getting a rattle from the rear passenger door/window area. If I fully close the window I can hear a rattle on bumpy roads but disappears if slightly cracked open/fully open. Driving me crazy and hate that I have to o scheduled to drop off the car at a SC just for this one issue. My 2021 MYLR never had rattle isssues

Useful to watch
Imagine a car where the tech has to show you how to remove the door panel to tape and glue parts together... SMH

"As far as the window vibration, I bought some krytox lubrication to put around the rubber seals and this helped tremendously with a vibration sound I had when the window was closed."

What rubber seals are you talking about? I'm getting a rattle from the rear passenger door/window area. If I fully close the window I can hear a rattle on bumpy roads but disappears if slightly cracked open/fully open. Driving me crazy and hate that I have to o scheduled to drop off the car at a SC just for this one issue. My 2021 MYLR never had rattle isssues

I have a similar issue. SC thought it was the window hitting the seal. The seal hardens when the temperature drops so that's what they believe is the issue and they also used krytox to lubricate the seals. However that didn't really fix it for me and I think it's coming from the door panel itself. Going to have to try to open the door panel and see if something's loose in there.

Reactions: Hamtaro7
I have also had an annoying rattle coming from the rear window in my Model Y that would disappear by dropping the window a fraction.

In addition to applying lubricant to the door/window seal I also resorted to recalibrating the window switch, cleaning and adjusting the rubber seal and the underside of the black/chrome trim part (see photo) that holds the top of the glass when closed and then applying Gummi Pflege along the very top edge of the window where it meets the rubber behind the black/chrome trim.

So far so good, but that doesn’t mean it won’t come back!

Attachments

• IMG_5754.jpeg
    IMG_5754.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 55
I have also had an annoying rattle coming from the rear window in my Model Y that would disappear by dropping the window a fraction.

In addition to applying lubricant to the door/window seal I also resorted to recalibrating the window switch, cleaning and adjusting the rubber seal and the underside of the black/chrome trim part (see photo) that holds the top of the glass when closed and then applying Gummi Pflege along the very top edge of the window where it meets the rubber behind the black/chrome trim.

So mine still had a little bit of noise that would come and go randomly after SC did the lubrication. I also recalibrated the windows and it seemed like it helped a tiny bit. I'm wondering if I should apply gummi Pfleger on it over the lubrication that SC applied.

My biggest nose issue is actually coming from the back and I can't tell if it's on the back corner or if it's the hash that makes some sort of rattle when I go over a moderate to large bump.

Reactions: PNWLeccy

Also what did you mean by adjusting the rubber seal? How did you adjust that?

I adjusted the door seal so that it sat over the seal that holds the window when closed (see photo). I’m not sure if that on its own made much difference but together with the cleaning of the seal that holds the window and an application of Gummi Pflege along the top edge of the window (where it meets the seal) it seems to be better, for the time being at least.

The rattles from the rear/hatch have improved following a service visit where the hatch seals were cleaned and lubricated again and the bump stops adjusted again.

Attachments

• IMG_5835.jpeg
    IMG_5835.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: SmallButWhole