Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most aggressive brake compound without noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oem pads on my 2021 Plaid were a joke for initial cold bite , which is what most emergency street braking is with regen doing most of the work on normal slowdowns.

replaced them with GLOC’s GS1 compound all round… some improvement, but not close to my previous 2015 S.

I’m wondering if GLOC’s R6 compound will be much better or if I need to look elsewhere to say ebc’s Yellow/blue stuff or carbotech’s AX6

Oem pads on my 2021 Plaid were a joke for initial cold bite , which is what most emergency street braking is with regen doing most of the work on normal slowdowns.

replaced them with GLOC’s GS1 compound all round… some improvement, but not close to my previous 2015 S.

I’m wondering if GLOC’s R6 compound will be much better or if I need to look elsewhere to say ebc’s Yellow/blue stuff or carbotech’s AX6
Car and driver found the initial cold bite for the stock Plaid brakes to be excellent. Beating the Taycan and tying the lighter BMW M5.

It is for track use that you must upgrade plaid brakes. For cold use they work great, including dragstrip runs from 150mph -- see the Tesla Plaid videos at the dragstrip.

2021teslamodelsplaidchart-1638972978.jpg

Car and driver found the initial cold bite for the stock Plaid brakes to be excellent. Beating the Taycan and tying the lighter BMW M5.

It is for track use that you must upgrade plaid brakes. For cold use they work great, including dragstrip runs from 150mph -- see the Tesla Plaid videos at the dragstrip.

2021teslamodelsplaidchart-1638972978.jpg
So what pads do you run? If it’s OEM and you’re satisfied with them, I’m so happy for you :)

I like the Carbotech AX6s on my Miata. They are more aggressive than most street pads, and they worked well without being too noisy (most of the time) but they're not silent. I tried the 1521 but thought it was a little weak.

G-Loc pads are lined up to be basically the same as the Carbotech line:

1521 = GS1
AX6 = R6
XP8 = R8

If you never want to hear brake squeal though, don't buy the AX6/R6.

Your signature says you're running MPP brakes. Are they just lousy? I thought the brakes on my 2015 were lousy until I found the front pads were seized in the calipers. I replaced with some Bosch street pads and found the brakes to be pretty good. Maybe your brakes just need to be lubricated?

Reactions: MFrunkerOG
I like the Carbotech AX6s on my Miata. They are more aggressive than most street pads, and they worked well without being too noisy (most of the time) but they're not silent. I tried the 1521 but thought it was a little weak.

G-Loc pads are lined up to be basically the same as the Carbotech line:

1521 = GS1
AX6 = R6
XP8 = R8

If you never want to hear brake squeal though, don't buy the AX6/R6.

Your signature says you're running MPP brakes. Are they just lousy? I thought the brakes on my 2015 were lousy until I found the front pads were seized in the calipers. I replaced with some Bosch street pads and found the brakes to be pretty good. Maybe your brakes just need to be lubricated?
Thanks for the tip! Yes I should probably check my brakes and see if he performance improves. Funny thing is that the brakes were great right after I put in the new MPP rotors

So what pads do you run? If it’s OEM and you’re satisfied with them, I’m so happy for you :)
Yes the oem pads, which ought to be optimized for cold bite, worked fine when cold,including from 100+ mph runs at dragstrip

Most people complaining about the stock brakes are complaining about performance when the brakes are very hot after track type usage.