Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different feeling between 2021 and 2022 MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month I picked up a 2022 Model Y LR with 5k miles on it. There is no damage to the car, the carfax shows it's never been in an accident and I absolutely love it.

However, my wife has a 2021 Model Y LR which we've accumulated about 27k miles which we bought directly from a friend.

The Problem: I feel like the 2022 drives differently. When I drive the 2021 it's almost like it's floating on the road, extremely quiet even up to 30MPH at which point if you are accelerating you get a nice high pitch motor whirring sound which seems to come mostly from the front. On the 2022 at about 30MPH I hear a sound coming from the back of the vehicle. It sounds almost like a thrumming or the sound you get from having winter tires on the vehicle.

Car 1:
2021 MYLR
26k Miles
Almost silent while driving

Car 2
2022 MYLR
5k Miles
Vibration or Thrumming noise from back of the vehicle

Everything on these cars is the same down to the wheel covers. They both drive great, if we didn't have the 2021 I wouldn't even know to call out the noise honestly, but since it's different I figured I'd ask.

Anyone run into anything like this before?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-10 094830.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-10 094830.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
This 78+ page (not 78 posts, 78 pages of posts) thread is about "ear pain / pressure" which for many people translates to a "buffetting / thrumming" sound.

Or this one:

Or, you could search the model Y subforum for "buffetting" or "booming" as keywords and find several other threads.

This 78+ page (not 78 posts, 78 pages of posts) thread is about "ear pain / pressure" which for many people translates to a "buffetting / thrumming" sound.

Or this one:

Or, you could search the model Y subforum for "buffetting" or "booming" as keywords and find several other threads.
Thanks will do that.

I read through those posts, but I don't think ear pressure or buffetting is the same thing as what I'm hearing. I think buffetting as that sound when you open one window and you get that air chopping sound.

Mine is more like vibration coming from the rear of the vehicles, feels kinda like driving with knobby tires.