Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most Significant Thing About 2020.36.3.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went for a test drive last night after downloading 2020.36.3.1 and was pleasantly surprised at what they have done. Before this update my M3 would slow WAY down for curves and would do so well ahead of the curve. For example in a curve with a suggested speed of 30mph my M3 would slow to 23mph. So slow that if blindfolded you couldn't tell you went through a curve at all. This would be super annoying to the person behind you and is why I never use TACC on a country road with someone behind me.

Now with the new update, it slowed at a moderate rate prior to the curve and went through it at 33mph, just as I would have done if driving. On another curve, not quite as sharp, it went through at a speed just a tad bit faster than I would have done. This is preferable to the previous creep through sharp curves.

You Tesla software guys get a thumbs up for this one.

Now, if you would focus on making the stop at a light or sign smooth. As it is now it's a really jerky stop at most signs.

Yeah, I noticed the same starting with the last update or the one before that. I found that I could override with the accelerator at the start of the curve, let off and TACC would continue the faster pace on its own.

It's amazing how much autopilot behavior is changed over the last year. It used to scare me with how fast it would fly through corners, then it would go unreasonably slow. I think they got it right this time, though. Let's hope it lasts!

It's amazing how much autopilot behavior is changed over the last year. It used to scare me with how fast it would fly through corners, then it would go unreasonably slow. I think they got it right this time, though. Let's hope it lasts!
I hate that it slows speed for mild corners. I'm not scared - I set the speed I'm comfortable with and it goes around smooth winding roads at the same speed. I'm not stetting the TACC at 100 in a 50 or something crazy - usually 5 MPH over the posted limit.

My cars are not on 36.3.1 yet so I'll see what happens.

Reactions: Tres_Azul
I actually think this is something Tesla doesn't do well. It used to handle very tight curves well even it's slower than a human driver, with 2020.36.x update, it just brake very hard before it runs out of the lane and returns control to me because it's too fast and can't handle the curve.

I don't know if it's 36.3.1 specifically or just some difference in conditions that made it behave a bit differently. It's still extremely shaky on some curves for me - there's one freeway interchange where the last few versions try to fly into the turn way too quickly in a way that feels borderline dangerous, and 36.3.1 is no exception. Another one where the car always slows down too much - yesterday it actually beeped at me (the "I lost lane lines and I'm getting confused" kind of beep) and phantom braked more than usual, but recovered pretty quickly after.

Also it still brakes halfway into the curve instead of gradually slowing down before in some instances.