Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend test results - Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was about to post this, finally some braking tests. 99 feet 60-0 puts it on par with most sport sedans. I thought they said it kind of flubbed the figure 8 but would test it again with track mode.

Edit: I read the article too quick, it flubbed the skidpad (or it underperformed) and did pretty good in figure 8, with room for improvement with track mode.

Reactions: Arpe
Don’t forget that the M3P has Brembo brakes - different and better than what’s on non-P versions...

Its really unlikely that the uprated brakes have any effect on a single hard stop. The stock brakes can almost certainly apply more braking force that any set of tires can handle. The limitation for a single hard stop is almost always tires. Spending more on brakes gets you additional heat dissipation and tolerance for repeated hard braking.

Technically correct, but given the previously-reported performance issues with the standard brakes (since somewhat rectified), I thought it would be worthwhile to point out that the calipers on the M3P are different and better AND supplied by the gold-standard brand in the brakes business...

That was due to the traction/ ABS software, not the brake hardware.

Yeah it's literally impossible for larger or "better" brakes to reduce stopping distance in this kind of test unless the smaller brakes were defective in the first place.

That's why the "gold standard brand" (brembo as you name them) themselves doesn't provide 60-0 test data- they explicitly state their BBKs don't help with that in their FAQ-

Brembo FAQ said:
WHERE CAN I FIND TEST DATA ON STOPPING DISTANCES?

At the speeds that stopping distance is generally measured from (60 to 70mph), the test is primarily testing the tire's grip on the pavement. As delivered from the manufacturer, nearly all vehicles are able to engage the ABS or lock the wheels at these speeds. Therefore, an increase in braking power will do nothing to stop the vehicle in a shorter distance. For this reason, we do not record stopping distances at this time.

if you want to stop shorter you don't need better brakes, you need better tires

Which the P3D+ comes with- and which I expect many other 3 others with 18s and 19s will be switching to and getting similar braking distance improvements with.

Last edited:
Better brakes often give better stopping performance as they offer better modulation. An expert can often achieve better brake performance by modulation of the brakes instead of just stomping on them and inducing ABS.

The value of ABS is not so much quicker straight line braking, but the ability to also steer while panic braking.

Better brakes often give better stopping performance as they offer better modulation. An expert can often achieve better brake performance by modulation of the brakes instead of just stomping on them and inducing ABS.

The value of ABS is not so much quicker straight line braking, but the ability to also steer while panic braking.

So you're saying Brembo can't find anyone who is an "expert" at stopping a car?

Because they themselves tell you no, better brakes can not offer better stopping performance for a normal 60-0 stop.

if you'd prefer a moderately famous brake engineer who has written books on the topic, given SAE master classes on the topic, and designed both OEM and aftermarket braking systems to tell you the same I can recommend this article:

GRM Pulp Friction

He explains what each element of a vehicle braking system does, and does not do- and why improving any of them won't actually help stop the car any shorter.

the conclusion-
James Walker Jr said:
You can take this one to the bank. Regardless of your huge rotor diameter, brake pedal ratio, magic brake pad material, or number of pistons in your calipers, your maximum deceleration is limited every time by the tire to road interface. That is the point of this whole article. Your brakes do not stop your car. Your tires stop the car. So while changes to different parts of the brake system may affect certain characteristics or traits of the system's behavior, using stickier tires is ultimately the only sure-fire method of decreasing stopping distances

(bold added)

he then goes on to list the several reasons one might still want to upgrade brakes- these are entirely either "feel" items that don't change stopping distance... or track-related (thermal management over many repeated high speed stops) where again the car won't ever stop any shorter, but it will go through more abuse before it begins to stop longer.