Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting E-Toll devices in frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mounted my ez-pass in the frunk with some Velcro. I mounted it vertical on the front wall, on the same plastic piece that has the interior frunk light.

Haven't tested yet, but I think it should work just as well as windshield mounted.

Sounds doubtful due to the metal around it, but interested to know.

As a side note, I guess there are still a lot of places around the nation that don't use license plate cameras for this purpose. I noticed about 2 years ago when I forgot to get my California ezpass transponder out of the other car that the toll fee got added to my monthly bill anyway. Then I understand that the bay area transitioned from using transponders to license plate cameras. Although I still have the transponder in the house, I don't have to worry about moving it from car to car. As long as I made sure to enter the license plates of all my cars into my online account, all works well. it would be nice when every place goes that way.

I believe you guys, but here's a logical question.

If the state you live in DOESN'T have cameras to capture license plates, then why would anyone need to pay tolls?

How would they enforce the toll if people who don't display the pass can just drive through?

For the record, what I said definitely stands in CA. When I ride in an Uber or Lyft, I even add the license plate temporarily if I know the route we're taking goes through tolls. That's mighty inconvenient if the state doesn't let license plates be detected. We have 5 vehicles; I wouldn't want to track 5 sensors (I don't mount them on the dash or windshield because I think it looks like crap).

I can't speak for CA, but here in NC they DO have cameras, which are intended to bill people who don't have accounts with the toll service.

But you get a significantly cheaper toll rate (~35% lower) if you use a transponder.

For those with transponders who don't get a signal to the receiver, they will use your plate- but if more than 15% of your tolls in a month are via license plate you get a letter to fix your transponder AND get hit with a $15 fee that month.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I believe you guys, but here's a logical question.
If the state you live in DOESN'T have cameras to capture license plates, then why would anyone need to pay tolls?
How would they enforce the toll if people who don't display the pass can just drive through?
That's a great question. One reason might be that the cameras are NOT tied into the toll collection system where the camera recognizes the plate and automatically deducts the toll from the person's account. I recall that for several years, the toll plazas in the San Francisco bay area had cameras to capture people that don't pay and a person would manually look at the photo and send a more expensive bill in the mail. Then finally a few years ago, they updated the system for auto toll collection.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Well, in Los Angeles the "Metro Express Lanes" have a transponder with a switch on it. You set it to "1", "2", or "3+" depending on how many people are in the car. One of the roads is free for two or more people, the other is free for 2 or more during off-peak hours and free for 3, discounted for 2, and full-price for 1 during peak hours. This would be very hard to do with cameras.

If you forget the transponder, they will camera-match your plate and charge you the single access price as long as your license plate is registered to your account.

If you just use the lanes without an account, you get fined $25 plus the toll, another $30 if you don't pay within 30 days, then ultimately they hold your vehicle registration hostage for it.

If you get pulled over by CHP for illegal use of the lane (i.e., you have it set to 2 and there's only 1 person in car), it's a $341 fine. Oh - they tell because as a car passes the reader, a light on the reader flashes the same number of times as transponder setting.

It's because they wanted to make the toll lanes free for carpools and there isn't a reliable way to count occupancy.

Also they are motivated to make it difficult: ~37% of the revenue from the roads is due to violation fines.

In my area they have cameras at the exits but not the entrances. So they just billed me the max possible toll when my transponder died and I had to go back and submit corrections online. It all went through just fine but when you're getting charged $10 instead of 50 cents each way it adds up really fast and I can't be bothered to check my account once a week and fill out the form 47 times.

Reactions: 3geekfamily