Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting of the front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where will the front license place mount? Down from the white surface (red square), up from the black air dam (blue square)? Some other location?

I have not detected any mounting holes...

IMG_0015.jpg

With the blue area, it appears the attachment could be made to the bottom bumper. The idea of drilling into the painted area is unacceptable. Covering the air vent may be discouraged.

If the plate needs to be above the air vent, then a floating bracket that does not touch the paint would make sense.

The area under the front vent looks promising as a low mounted plate.

Much depends on the placement of the radar unit(s). If on the side, then it shouldn't be an issue. If the radar is in the center as with Model S, then the plate should be mounted above the blue boxed area. We need to wait for the mounting plate and see where Tesla Motors suggests to mount the plate.

I'm hoping a front mounting plate is optional. It would spoil the looks and aerodynamics of the front end, and a number of states don't have front plates.
Most Tesla owners do not mount the plate. We can request to not have it mounted and in Orange County CA, there is seldom a problem with the mandatory law of the state. LA County has areas of concern.

Like Model S, it appears there will be some alternate ways to mount and remove the plate without drilling visible holes. One thing I don't want to do is restrict air flow.

I'm hoping a front mounting plate is optional. It would spoil the looks and aerodynamics of the front end, and a number of states don't have front plates.
Tesla doesn't force owners to mount a front plate. If you do not want it, tell your DS when you order and then remind them a week before your delivery. Just keep in mind that many states have a legal requirement to moun a front plate. There is a thread about it.

Most Tesla owners do not mount the plate. We can request to not have it mounted and in Orange County CA, there is seldom a problem with the mandatory law of the state. LA County has areas of concern.

Like Model S, it appears there will be some alternate ways to mount and remove the plate without drilling visible holes. One thing I don't want to do is restrict air flow.

Thanx Mark. I have a Carrara without a front plate. I alway took my other car to LAX as that is one spot I know they will grab you for not having the front plate installed.