Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving 2021 X from USA to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, considering shipping a new 2021 model X to Europe. Aside tax and registration, main questions i have is:

- is the limitation on data connetivity still there is at was in the 2019 models when relocating a US tesla to europe?
- does autosteer still work?
- will autopilot/FSD work same as USA?
- do you get software updates “normally”?

thanks!!

Great thread and contributions.
We are moving to Europe this summer and planning to bring our Model Y 2021 with us.

We have moved cars before from the US to Europe and are familiar with the basic modifications needed. However, with a “Smart” EV and a relatively new car not a lot of aftermarket options (yet), this is what I see:

-Super Charging: Great overview of adapters. Not too concerned about the electrical conversion part but does anyone know how the connection with the digital wallet in the Tesla works? Would be concerned about not being able to have the charger recognize my car
-220V home charging. Here in the US, I created my own 220V outlet (RV like) and that works great; fully charged in a few hours. I can’t imagine 50/60Hz would have any impact. Other thoughts? I’m I missing something here?
-OTA updates. Seen posts elsewhere on replacing SIM card. Actually had a sales guy at Tesla telling me : “yes taking your Model Y to Europe is not a problem, you just need to replace the SIM card and buy an adapter on Amazon”.
-That would probably also link to navigation etc
-Big part is getting answers from Tesla on this. As said, on the sales side, everyone so far said yes it is possible without giving any detail. On the service side silence so far. Through the Tesla App the answer was we can not assist or advice, ‘you need to check locally at the new destination’, potentially no warranty outside North America. My wife finally got someone on the phone who was willing to look into this for us and should get back to her.

Love our Y and with the >25kEuro price difference, shipping covered by my company, I‘m steadfast pursuing this, but obviously very concerned about ending up with a very expensive (and beautiful) brick on wheels on the other side of the ocean.
Please keep sharing what you learn, I’ll update my experiences too

59116E47-7B7C-45E2-A52D-84844546C363.jpeg

Reactions: ArtK
Upvote 0
Just spoke with Tesla Service in NL.
His advise was don’t do it….
Disclaimer- they haven’t dealt with a whole lot of these cases, only old damaged model S’s that were imported from the USA.

His reasoning:
-there are differences in both hardware and software between US and EU and they don’t know what they are. So from a service perspective he know they will run into hurdles when trying to service the car -he just doesn’t know at which point of the process
- ordering parts will be an issue. The car remains a US VIN car and they won’t be able to officially order the correct EU parts, eg. for headlights
-he is doubtful whether replacing the SIM will work since you would have the same mismatch
-ditto for supercharging and updates

not very encouraging, but wanted to share here. Will keep probing

Upvote 0
Just spoke with Tesla Service in NL.
His advise was don’t do it….
Disclaimer- they haven’t dealt with a whole lot of these cases, only old damaged model S’s that were imported from the USA.

His reasoning:
-there are differences in both hardware and software between US and EU and they don’t know what they are. So from a service perspective he know they will run into hurdles when trying to service the car -he just doesn’t know at which point of the process
- ordering parts will be an issue. The car remains a US VIN car and they won’t be able to officially order the correct EU parts, eg. for headlights
-he is doubtful whether replacing the SIM will work since you would have the same mismatch
-ditto for supercharging and updates

not very encouraging, but wanted to share here. Will keep probing
hey there. I assume you are there now with your MY and how's your experience so far in regards to Supercharging and Tesla service? Thanks

Upvote 0
I just want to add to what has been posted here.
Moved to EU this past summer and brought our model S here.

After using a SC adapter initially (with limitations due to the CCS incompatibility) , I then went to a shop (not Tesla) where I was able to do the following changes:
-Replaced charging cable, junction box, and port with EU specs + add CCS compatibility
-Changed nav maps to EU, can now navigate w/o issues
-Replaced all lights and add fog light to EU standard
-LTE modem EU
-In the process of doing all that I gained significant knowledge about the car and how it operates, and could potentially do it all by myself after getting some tools

After all the above, I was able to register the car in a EU country.

Although this required no doubt a great level of effort and planning, I now have a car working in EU with free SC. Worth it? For me yes, for others maybe it won't be, don't know.

Upvote 0

After using a SC adapter initially (with limitations due to the CCS incompatibility) , I then went to a shop (not Tesla) where I was able to do the following changes:
-Replaced charging cable, junction box, and port with EU specs + add CCS compatibility
-LTE modem EU
-In the process of doing all that I gained significant knowledge about the car and how it operates, and could potentially do it all by myself after getting some tools

Although this required no doubt a great level of effort and planning, I now have a car working in EU with free SC. Worth it? For me yes, for others maybe it won't be, don't know.
Would you mind letting people know how much you paid for those changes?

Reactions: iMYP
Upvote 0
Does anyone have a contact for a 3rd party business working on Tesla cars in Spain? Looking to replace the master charger.
Please PM me if you have it.

For anyone thinking to bring a Tesla from US to EU, Tesla refuses to touch a car serviced previously by a 3rd party business, and they will not make any modifications from US to EU.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

-LTE modem EU

Hello, in which country did you do that?

I'm in the same boat... I have a Telsa Y Performance Pack full Autopilot that I bought for 80K last year, now the car value is 50K.... I'm moving back from Miami to Spain in September, and either I lose 20K or bring the car with me...

Any help or direction will be more than welcome

Upvote 0
Hello, in which country did you do that?

I'm in the same boat... I have a Telsa Y Performance Pack full Autopilot that I bought for 80K last year, now the car value is 50K.... I'm moving back from Miami to Spain in September, and either I lose 20K or bring the car with me...

Any help or direction will be more than welcome
I would highly recommend to sell it in US. I was thinking I would have free SC plus don't buy a new car etc. However the pain we had to go through is not worth the effort at the end. First of all find someone to make the changes, there are some decent guys out here, but a lot more crooks who will love to rip you off. Then you need to register it so go through all the hoops. Lastly everything that has to do with the modes (charging etc) Tesla will NOT service it (like a bad onboard charger). So you will have to go back to 3rd party shops etc...I learned a lot after all this and could prob do it all on my own, however I would rather not do it again. You can get a new Y in Spain now with under 50k after all incentives, it will be a new car WITH warranty, no hassle registering it etc etc. PM me for more info.
With all these being said, still love my S, after so many years still better then anything on the road with the exception of Plaid.
Good luck, Spain is awesome!

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Upvote 0
I would highly recommend to sell it in US. I was thinking I would have free SC plus don't buy a new car etc. However the pain we had to go through is not worth the effort at the end. First of all find someone to make the changes, there are some decent guys out here, but a lot more crooks who will love to rip you off. Then you need to register it so go through all the hoops. Lastly everything that has to do with the modes (charging etc) Tesla will NOT service it (like a bad onboard charger). So you will have to go back to 3rd party shops etc...I learned a lot after all this and could prob do it all on my own, however I would rather not do it again. You can get a new Y in Spain now with under 50k after all incentives, it will be a new car WITH warranty, no hassle registering it etc etc. PM me for more info.
With all these being said, still love my S, after so many years still better then anything on the road with the exception of Plaid.
Good luck, Spain is awesome!
Thank you for the reply... the problem is I paid 80K, but still own 70K... so if sell here, will lose at least 20K.... my company paid me the freight so I'm thinking to move the car and use without navigation or data....

I'm from Spain, :) I hope you're enjoying the country

Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply... the problem is I paid 80K, but still own 70K... so if sell here, will lose at least 20K.... my company paid me the freight so I'm thinking to move the car and use without navigation or data....

I'm from Spain, :) I hope you're enjoying the country
Beautiful country and friendly people. Plan to XXXX for EU mods (modem maps charging) + no warranty (so all issues out of pocket) + hard to find 3rd party garages. We can talk offline if it will help you more.
Best!

Last edited:
Upvote 0