Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving Down from MS to MY Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm moving down from a 2018 MS to a MY Performance and taking delivery in a couple of weeks. Anybody else do this? How do you like driving the MY Performance vs. MS? I'm not sure if I will like it. I love the nice suspension on the MS. The main reason for doing it is to cut my lease payment in half.

We were debating between the MS, the MYP and the M3P. We finally pulled the trigger and ordered the MYP. It looked like the delivery time frame for it could have been as early as 3 weeks from now and maybe up 6. So I took the car we were going to trade to shop it to see if I could get a better deal thanthe offer from Tesla. Especially since if my MYP took longer than 30 days to arrive, my trade value would likely change. I heard it could be a lot and almost always devalued.

As luck would have it, I got an offer I couldn't pass up and parted with the car today. On the way home I heard about the rollout of the new improvements for the MYs out of Austin for later this year. Then the containment hold. Can't always trust Elon's timeframes but still something I need to factor in. So it all came together to reassess our purchasing decision.

One of our big issues has been the ride quality of the MYP. I figured I'd throw lighter weight wheels and tires and coilovers at it. That drives the price up about another 6k. Even then I doubt it would ride as nice as the MS does stock. Unlikely to get much of that back, if at all, at resale time too.

We sort of landed as my first my wife wanted to be as cost effective as possible. After driving several different models as the Tesla store (but no current gen MS), we sort of settled on the MYP. My wife was against the ride quality, but not as much against it as the M3P. So we placed the MYP order since it was the lesser of evils so to speak for her. Anyway after discussing it with her tonight, I think we are just going to go with the MS and get what we want. The extra range will be a big plus and I'm not going to lie, the extra punch will be something I'll enjoy.

Likely the MYP will handle better but we don't live in an area we can really exploit that advantage. The ride comfort we can appreciate every day. Something that surprised me when looking through the specs is how close the MS and MYP are in weight. There is only about 100 pounds difference. Tomorrow I'll call our SA and see if they can make the change. If I stayed with the MYP, it would be my luck the new MIT version would roll off the production lines just a few weeks after I received mine. I can only imagine how bad that would impact the resale value. If I don't buy one, it probably won't happen for at least a year. I have been impacted a few times where a major refresh really impacted the value of my car.

The one good thing though about driving a bunch of different Tesla's is my wife is all in on buying one whereas before, she was just along for the ride so to speak. If they were to significantly improve the ride quality, my wife would likely take MY LR for a daily driver in a heartbeat. I think Tesla really missed the mark in this area compared to the competition.