Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving, driving 2,000 miles over the next 6 days. Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 LR that I bought used two months ago. Range display is 299 full. I'm getting 235 wh/mile over 2,000 miles or so but mostly under 50 mph. I assume it'll go up this trip on all highway driving.

I've watched a few road trip videos and used ABRP. Two hotels I will stay at have chargers. I have a tire plugger. Should be set to make it to each charger with a minimum 10% charge.

Anything that I might not think about? Considering if I should keep sentry on at night since I have a lot of stuff in my car.

Keep keycard on your person (assuming you have a smartphone as key); your phone will die at the most inopportune time. Might be too late but carry your mobile connector with both 120V and 240V adapters. 5-15 should have been included but you should have either 14-30 or 14-50 as well. I bought a TT-30P to 14-30R adapter cable even though I probably would not be visiting any RV parks that much (my daughter has a Class C motorhome and I might visit her up on Oregon sometime in the near future). Along with your tire plugger, you should also have an air compressor. Tarp would be nice in case you have to change a tire or work on the car on the ground. Flashlight, with spare batteries since whatever problem comes up, it will be at night. You probably should have a couple of jack pads (i.e., hockey pucks). AAA card, handy for the times when you need roadside assistance and discounts at lodging. Windex and paper towels.

Have some water and protein bars in case it's inconvenient or impossible to stop for a meal.

Use Autopilot as you become comfortable with it. Reduces stress, improves efficiency.

My efficiency-improvement measures:
  1. Use Chill mode. I go back to Standard acceleration to cope with aggressive drivers in big cities.
  2. Raise cold tire pressure (before you've started driving) to 2 psi below the sidewall limit. Reduces rolling resistance, keeps tires cooler. As a bonus, this gives us more even tire wea
  3. Speed trade-off is tough. Model 3 energy consumption seems to rise steeply above 65 - 70 mph.

Keep the Energy chart open to track your actual burn rate vs. car's prediction.
  • Helps you correlate driving style / speed with efficiency.
  • If your energy consumption exceeds the prediction, then consider whether you will have enough charge to reach your target Supercharger.
  • My experience is that, at normal highway speeds, Model 3 actual energy consumption pretty much matches predicted. FWIW, in our Model S, if the car predicts 10% charge when arriving at Supercharger, we typically are over 20%. Then we likely skip that one visit one where we'll actually arrive with about 10% charge.
Have a safe and swift journey.

Reactions: DipStick
I like having a chademo adapter. You should also have reflector emergency triangles and either flares or some emergency flashing light. If in the unlikely case your 12 volt or main traction battery die, you have a very short use of your cars emergency flashers. I also like having a tire plug kit and 12 volt emergency compressor.

More than likely, the eventful part of your trip will be pleasant. Have Plugshare app on your phone. Be prepared to have a backup to wifi connection in some places. Oklahoma is especially bad for Tesla AT&T. I like to give myself more percentage charge at each station in case of detours or unforeseen weather and events.

Last edited:
You'll lower your consumption considerably if you follow an 18-wheeler, you don't have to tailgate them just stay about 3 seconds distance.

Try to make sure all of the hotels you stay at have EV charging.

Keep in mind that hotel lobbies usually close during the late hours so you may have to pee behind a bush while charging at one.

Reactions: 1speed and DipStick
One thing to keep in mind is elevation. I noticed certain legs cost way more energy. Last year traveling from Birmingham AL to Ashville NC took 1 more supercharger stop than on the way back. Usually if a leg is mostly uphill, or very hilly in general, I like the to charge up to the built in 20% buffer that Tesla seems to always recommend.