Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from my CarPlay car to new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This isn’t a solution for everyone, but if you really want CarPlay (like I do), you can use this, along with a cheap Android tablet and a car mount to get CarPlay. I’ll try to remember a take a pic of my setup later today if anyone is interested.

Tons of negative reviews on that dongle, interested to see your setup working in a Tesla. I do miss parts of Carplay, including "Hey Siri" (which kinda works now if she can hear me) and the eyes free text support. The pure google maps is better in Carplay but the Tesla version is working.

Tons of negative reviews on that dongle, interested to see your setup working in a Tesla. I do miss parts of Carplay, including "Hey Siri" (which kinda works now if she can hear me) and the eyes free text support. The pure google maps is better in Carplay but the Tesla version is working.

I guess I am not surprised there are a lot of negative reviews. I would only recommend this solution if (a) you _really_ want CarPlay in your Tesla, and (b) you are “tech-forward” and not afraid of a few rough edges. In fact, I’d actually recommend staying away from the WiFi-based CarPlay dongle and going with the cheaper wired-CarPlay dongle (although the WiFi one also supports wired CarPlay). I find that about 1 in 3 times I get in my car I have to reboot my Android tablet to get the WiFi CarPlay to connect. (But I continue to use the WiFi CarPlay setup for the convenience of not having to plug anything in; go figure.)

Here are a couple of pics of my setup. The glare in the photo seems a lot worse than it really is. I don’t even notice the glare, so I am surprised it seems so pronounced in the photos.
D5FF1B0A-176C-4353-8CEA-170BDD8E77C6.jpeg 8FB5CEE7-26D1-46B9-BDB6-CA43E86A859B.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Apone and Adam3