TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Moving posts, splitting threads, confusion

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by JRP3, May 1, 2009.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I don't know if there is someway to notify by email when a post is moved or thread split but sometimes I get an email of a reply to a thread, then when I go to that thread the post is not there. Sometimes I can find the new thread that it's been moved to but not always. Is there some way to get a notification of the new thread, or that a new thread has been created?

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Hmmm, when I move stuff I often try to leave bread crumbs, though not always. Particularly if what I moved was off topic.
    Use New Posts or Today's Posts to find out if there's anything you haven't already read.

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

Any way to have the links in our emails go to the post, no matter what new thread it's been moved to? Maybe the forum technology doesn't allow that, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

There is a way to leave a link (which can last forever, or a fixed amount of time) from the old topic to the new one. Those links create a bit of a mess if there are too many of them, so it is tempting to the moderators to just move it without leaving a link.

5. Tdave

Tdave Member

Fixed amount of time, as in they self destruct by themselves? Doing that for 24 hours, or even just 12 hours, might make sense for us regulars and those trying to click on the links in the emails.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, I think they "self destruct" after the timer. But (I don't recall the details) the timer may not be so granular. It might be like "30 days", "6 months", "forever" sort of selections.

7. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

A link in the original thread to the split off would be helpful, I don't always check the whole forum or all new posts every day, and if you split off a thread and title it in a way that may not interest me I might not click on it. Not a huge deal either way, but I assume splitting posts is done to avoid clutter and confusion but sometimes it creates it. When I get an email notice of a new post and when I go there and its' gone, I don't know if it's been moved or maybe deleted.

8. doug

There are a couple things. When an entire thread is moved or merged with another, I'll typically leave an expiring redirect in its former section. I typically set the redirect to expire on the order of a few days. I make a judgment call based on how old the thread is, how recently it's been posted to, and the number and importance of any linkbacks it may have. So it can vary from an hour to weeks to being permanent, but typically it's a few days.

If I'm moving a post to another thread, I may leave references to where the post came from in the new thread or where it went in the old one. Again it's a judgment call. If it was completely off topic, I often might not bother. If it was related, then I'll try to leave a post to where you can find it.

We're looking into fixing the notification emails so that you'll find the post no matter where it goes. (Each post has a unique identifying number.) Do a lot of people really use the email notifications for subscribed threads?

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I personally don't. I just check in ocassionally and do the "new posts" thing

10. Tdave

Tdave Member

I do all the time. It should go to that post in the context of the thread it's in - and not just the post itself brought up.

11. doug

yeah, that's doable... I just need to get an admin to do it.

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

All the time, it's the only way I can keep track of all the threads in the different forums I post in. I rarely have time to look at all the new threads, so a link to a moved thread would be really helpful.