Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving posts, splitting threads, confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
I don't know if there is someway to notify by email when a post is moved or thread split but sometimes I get an email of a reply to a thread, then when I go to that thread the post is not there. Sometimes I can find the new thread that it's been moved to but not always. Is there some way to get a notification of the new thread, or that a new thread has been created?

There is a way to leave a link (which can last forever, or a fixed amount of time) from the old topic to the new one. Those links create a bit of a mess if there are too many of them, so it is tempting to the moderators to just move it without leaving a link.

Yes, I think they "self destruct" after the timer. But (I don't recall the details) the timer may not be so granular. It might be like "30 days", "6 months", "forever" sort of selections.

Hmmm, when I move stuff I often try to leave bread crumbs, though not always. Particularly if what I moved was off topic.
Use New Posts or Today's Posts to find out if there's anything you haven't already read.
A link in the original thread to the split off would be helpful, I don't always check the whole forum or all new posts every day, and if you split off a thread and title it in a way that may not interest me I might not click on it. Not a huge deal either way, but I assume splitting posts is done to avoid clutter and confusion but sometimes it creates it. When I get an email notice of a new post and when I go there and its' gone, I don't know if it's been moved or maybe deleted.

There are a couple things. When an entire thread is moved or merged with another, I'll typically leave an expiring redirect in its former section. I typically set the redirect to expire on the order of a few days. I make a judgment call based on how old the thread is, how recently it's been posted to, and the number and importance of any linkbacks it may have. So it can vary from an hour to weeks to being permanent, but typically it's a few days.

If I'm moving a post to another thread, I may leave references to where the post came from in the new thread or where it went in the old one. Again it's a judgment call. If it was completely off topic, I often might not bother. If it was related, then I'll try to leave a post to where you can find it.

We're looking into fixing the notification emails so that you'll find the post no matter where it goes. (Each post has a unique identifying number.) Do a lot of people really use the email notifications for subscribed threads?