Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to, bring Model 3?, EV charging in Honolulu?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm looking to move to Honolulu in the coming month (Feb 22), I'll be working at the hospital and renting in the city (TBD).
I have a Model 3 long range (2020) and wondered if it would be a terrible idea to bring it.
I currently live in Cambridge MA and charge on 110 with a cable hanging from the apartment window (see pic), visit a super charger when going on trips.
I read Honolulu will have super charger soon.
Is there a guide to driving and charging a Tesla in Honolulu?
Any advice will be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.46.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.46.48 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 301
There are a ton of J1772 chargers and the island is tiny so you'll probably go weeks without needing a charge (assuming you have a shady place to park and a modest commute). I would suggest figuring out how much shipping will cost, as that's likely to be your biggest issue.

Thank for that,
There are a ton of J1772 chargers and the island is tiny so you'll probably go weeks without needing a charge (assuming you have a shady place to park and a modest commute). I would suggest figuring out how much shipping will cost, as that's likely to be your biggest issue.
, a shaded parking spot is advised, check, the car is white on white what may help, shipping rates vary and should be under 2K, thanks for that!

If you're renting in an apartment building/condo, don't expect to be able to access any charging at home. Although you had a creative way of charging in MA, that won't go over well here, even if it was possible. The overwhelming majority of condos/apartments here lack any power or charging facilities. However, there are many public chargers available, some paid, some free. Hawaiian Electric also has a number of DC fast charging/J1772 stations around town.

If you will be renting a single-family home or townhome, there's a good chance that you'll have access to a 110V outlet in the garage. I've owned a Tesla here since 2013 and been charging on the 110V in my garage since then with no issues, aside from having to replace the GFCI outlet in the garage once in that time.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm looking to move to Honolulu in the coming month (Feb 22), I'll be working at the hospital and renting in the city (TBD).
I have a Model 3 long range (2020) and wondered if it would be a terrible idea to bring it.
I currently live in Cambridge MA and charge on 110 with a cable hanging from the apartment window (see pic), visit a super charger when going on trips.
I read Honolulu will have super charger soon.
Is there a guide to driving and charging a Tesla in Honolulu?
Any advice will be much appreciated!
You didn't mention which hospital. I know of three that have L2 chargers at them and I wasn't even trying to find charging. You probably are going to be able to charge at work.

Welcome to Hawaii.

If you're renting in an apartment building/condo, don't expect to be able to access any charging at home. Although you had a creative way of charging in MA, that won't go over well here, even if it was possible. The overwhelming majority of condos/apartments here lack any power or charging facilities. However, there are many public chargers available, some paid, some free. Hawaiian Electric also has a number of DC fast charging/J1772 stations around town.

If you will be renting a single-family home or townhome, there's a good chance that you'll have access to a 110V outlet in the garage. I've owned a Tesla here since 2013 and been charging on the 110V in my garage since then with no issues, aside from having to replace the GFCI outlet in the garage once in that time.
Tnx! I'm reconsidering my options, that last tweet I can not be associated with. Elon Mush, what a dick.